Government to pay fat people to slim down

http://metro.co.uk/2014/10/23/cash-...nment-to-pay-fat-people-to-slim-down-4918279/

Overweight people are to receive cash prizes and gift vouchers if they lose weight, according to the NHS.

In an effort to tackle the obesity crisis, employers are to receive funding from the NHS so they may offer monetary incentives to staff who are overweight.

But the news has polarised both the public and medical experts, with top doctors saying that many overweight people are unemployed – making them ineligible for the prizes – and members of the public arguing that having the discipline to stay healthy was more befitting a reward.

‘This policy will do nothing to help the millions of unemployed and the growing numbers of self-employed people who may need help but won’t qualify,’ Clive Peedell told the Mirror.

One Twitter user said overweight people who hadn’t exercised self-control ‘didn’t deserve’ the cash, while others said incentivising weight loss with money did not help fat people develop a healthy long-term attitude to food.

‘The reward for weight loss should be feeling better and looking better,’ said Sue Hall.

But NHS England chief executive Simon Stevens defended the plan, which has had success in the U.S.

‘Employers in many countries have voluntary schemes for employees where, for example, you actually get cash back based on participation in Weight Watchers or other type schemes,’ he told the Mirror.

Mr Stevens added that it could inspire members of staff to compete against each other to lose weight.

Winner-Copy.png

Can bulemics make a career out of it?

Apparently the incentives offered will include vouchers.. for McDonalds, Burger King & KFC...

Apparently the incentives offered will include vouchers.. for McDonalds, Burger King & KFC...

Probably not but these obesity epidemic is partly to blame on the proliferation of these shops.

Hows about a fat tax and stricter planning rules when a fast foodery is looking to open.

Part of the problem is fat people looking at dining on this shit as a 2 maybe 3,4 even 5 times a week experience, whereas normal people look on it as a once in a blue moon treat (if you can call it that, I avoid the places like the plague).

These huge conglomerates are benefiting from this obesity epidemic, tax them more and ring fence the money for the NHS.

Probably not but these obesity epidemic is partly to blame on the proliferation of these shops.

No it they are not to blame, fat ******* with no will power are to blame.
Hows about a fat tax and stricter planning rules when a fast foodery is looking to open.
How about fat people get a grip of themselves?
Part of the problem is fat people looking at dining on this shit as a 2 maybe 3,4 even 5 times a week experience, whereas normal people look on it as a once in a blue moon treat (if you can call it that, I avoid the places like the plague).

Which means its the fat bastards own fault, why should those who use the places occasionally (or a lot and but get of their arses and do some physical training) have to pay a tax because others have no self control?

These huge conglomerates are benefiting from this obesity epidemic, tax them more and ring fence the money for the NHS.

They would make exactly the same amount if the fat bastards decided to do some exercise for once.

The word epidemic means an infectious disease is spreading rapidly. Being a chubster is not contagious disease, its just some people are bone idle and seek to place the blame on anyone but themselves.

Last edited:

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
http://metro.co.uk/2014/10/23/cash-...nment-to-pay-fat-people-to-slim-down-4918279/

Overweight people are to receive cash prizes and gift vouchers if they lose weight, according to the NHS.

In an effort to tackle the obesity crisis, employers are to receive funding from the NHS so they may offer monetary incentives to staff who are overweight.

But the news has polarised both the public and medical experts, with top doctors saying that many overweight people are unemployed – making them ineligible for the prizes – and members of the public arguing that having the discipline to stay healthy was more befitting a reward.

‘This policy will do nothing to help the millions of unemployed and the growing numbers of self-employed people who may need help but won’t qualify,’ Clive Peedell told the Mirror.

One Twitter user said overweight people who hadn’t exercised self-control ‘didn’t deserve’ the cash, while others said incentivising weight loss with money did not help fat people develop a healthy long-term attitude to food.

‘The reward for weight loss should be feeling better and looking better,’ said Sue Hall.

But NHS England chief executive Simon Stevens defended the plan, which has had success in the U.S.

‘Employers in many countries have voluntary schemes for employees where, for example, you actually get cash back based on participation in Weight Watchers or other type schemes,’ he told the Mirror.

Mr Stevens added that it could inspire members of staff to compete against each other to lose weight.
Save you doing all that juicing. On a serious note it's called 'contingency management ' there's quite a lot of evidence that people meet objectives for even small rewards. A lot of American research on this and I think it was mainly on reducing Cocaine use.

As long as its not £ , vouchers for certain foods, or its straight over to McD's

My Juicing is fine and working well, I dont see why after they paid for the food to get fat, they cant pay for less food to get slim

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
As long as its not £ , vouchers for certain foods, or its straight over to McD's

My Juicing is fine and working well, I dont see why after they paid for the food to get fat, they cant pay for less food to get slim
It's something to do with a reward system and the 'buzz' of it. I'd to read all the research on it in about 2007 and it is very convincing but whether the success is transferable to the obeast I've no idea.

Me, me, Me...... more Cash4Pies......!!:hungry:

... On a serious note it's called 'contingency management ' there's quite a lot of evidence that people meet objectives for even small rewards...

Conversely, would those same people respond to promises of punishment if they don't meet targets? (Sort of, "lose two pounds or we'll cut it off..").

Can't we just shut all the drive-throughs & make the doors to fast food resteraunts very narrow?

Or make it a legal requirement to point at, abuse and laugh at obeast (thanks J) people.

The word epidemic means an infectious disease is spreading rapidly.

Oh dear, are you using Wiki as your primary source? Epidemic actually relates to anything which affects a disproportionately large number of individuals within a group, so whilst it is correctly applied to infectious diseases, it is not confined to them.

How about fat people get a grip of themselves?

As in people taking responsibility for their own actions? Fat change I'm afraid.

Fast food chains should have two entries. One easy accessible one for slim people and one through which fatties have to run for their lives about 2K to get to the counter.

The world of disability just gets better, big fat cnuts in wheelchairs getting free cars, free cash, all through extra benefits and preferential treatment.

Why stop at chubby people though?

If I had an addiction to Hookers, would the Govt give me vouchers for Hookers to make me use less hookers?

NB: No Hookers were harmed in the making of this comment.

(although the 2 under my patio don't count)

Why stop at chubby people though?

If I had an addiction to Hookers, would the Govt give me vouchers for Hookers to make me use less hookers?

NB: No Hookers were harmed in the making of this comment.

(although the 2 under my patio don't count)

Have you thought about weaning yourself off using props?

Latest Threads