Government to cut wounded soldiers’ awards

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article6727677.ece

THE government will this week launch an attempt to deny soldiers crippled in battle full compensation for their injuries.

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) will go to the Court of Appeal on Tuesday to try to slash the compensation awarded to two injured soldiers by up to 70%. If the government wins, it will fuel the mounting disquiet over the relatively paltry payments some soldiers are receiving for lifelong injuries.

I just don't understand why they make these decisions and how they think that there won't be a backlash. Does the covenent mean nothing to them? Evidently not.
Surely they must realise this kind of case will cost them votes, public opinion towards the armed forces is probably at its highest and yet they go ahead and do something like this? I dare say they would be up in arms if they had their access to the trough throttled :x

Just when you think these knobs can't go any lower, they start in with the serious spadework. I hope they lose!

MsG

I am speechless. What is the MOD/Govt thinking, the sums involved are £20-£30K. Compare that with the vast sums paid out by the NHS every year for 'mistakes' and it just smacks of bean counting.

CavalryCaptain said:
I am speechless. What is the MOD/Govt thinking, the sums involved are £20-£30K. Compare that with the vast sums paid out by the NHS every year for 'mistakes' and it just smacks of bean counting.
That's what you get when gobments and their departments reduce everything to administrative issues, instead of realising that there are human beings involved. It just makes it easier for them.

MsG

I hope some of Liebour party folks come knocking on my door near election time. I'll twat the gits with my sticks.

Breaking the covenant seems to be the way, shame on them.

All that I will say, is that there is usually more to these stories than meets the eye. Papers carry a very specific line - namely making out that MOD is only staffed by civvies, and that we are evil incarnate.

I would imagine that there is, as always, probably a reason behind this, even if on first examination, it does seem to be obscene.

Fcuk's sake. What are they thinking? The public are angry about helicopters and equipment already, why would they do this and why would they do it now? And that's not even going into the moral side of letting down the troops so, they're too obvious to waste time mentioning.

bikertam said:
I hope some of Liebour party folks come knocking on my door near election time. I'll t**t the gits with my sticks.

Breaking the covenant seems to be the way, shame on them.
Second that.

I'm sure these cnuts would rob from someones grave if they could get away with it :evil:

jim30 said:
All that I will say, is that there is usually more to these stories than meets the eye. Papers carry a very specific line - namely making out that MOD is only staffed by civvies, and that we are evil incarnate.

I would imagine that there is, as always, probably a reason behind this, even if on first examination, it does seem to be obscene.
The MOD is appeallng against a forty-page decision by a three-judge panel in this case. LINK. There cannot be "more than meets the eye" or "probably a reason for this" which is not contained within that decision. The Times article appears to give a fair description of the legal point at issue:

In June last year the MoD took both cases to a higher court, claiming it should have to compensate the men only for the initial injuries and not subsequent complications. The three judges ruled against the ministry, saying it was “absurd” to divorce the injury from treatment.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
CavalryCaptain said:
I am speechless. What is the MOD/Govt thinking, the sums involved are £20-£30K. Compare that with the vast sums paid out* by the NHS every year for 'mistakes' and it just smacks of bean counting.
*in MP's expenses

chrisg46 said:
CavalryCaptain said:
I am speechless. What is the MOD/Govt thinking, the sums involved are £20-£30K. Compare that with the vast sums paid out* by the NHS every year for 'mistakes' and it just smacks of bean counting.
*in MP's expenses
Bloody good point :frustrated:

It just proves labour are Fcuking scum for even considering this. They should be exterminated and all trace of them removed and expunged from history, break out the ZyklonB

CavalryCaptain said:
chrisg46 said:
CavalryCaptain said:
*in MP's expenses
Bloody good point :frustrated:
A VERY good point indeed,and more proof,if any were needed after 12 years of this administration's breathtaking lies and sheer cowardice,that the sacred cowards' mantra still prevails.It runs something like this:
Tighten the screw on those you can control(only the easy ones,mind),OR run away from /suck up to those you can't.
I've lost count of the number of times this crowd have carried THAT through...

whisky_octopus said:
Fcuk's sake. What are they thinking? The public are angry about helicopters and equipment already, why would they do this and why would they do it now? And that's not even going into the moral side of letting down the troops so, they're too obvious to waste time mentioning.
This disgraceful government should be totally ashamed of themselves , They wont give our troops the helicopters and equipment they need ,Now they are cutting wounded soldiers awards .

If these people/government making these decisions had to live the life of these injured soldiers may be they would think twice about cutting these awards .

Our wounded soldiers are trying to cope with lifelong injuries and these injuries are a life-changing event that can cause grief and decreased self-esteem.

Soldiers Injuries can also have a serious negative impact on their body image. And when a soldier is faced with a disfiguring injuries, It makes them feel self-conscious about their disfigurement and they respond by avoiding social situations.

With chronic pain that wounded soldier's have to deal with ,The chronic pain does not go away – and if you haven’t had this, it can be very hard to understand what that’s like.

Wounded soldiers dealing with with life long injuries have to endure serious financial consequences for themselves and their family's

Don't this disgraceful Government and these people understand that these fit and healthy soldiers come back with appalling injuries, And for soldiers to learn that they have a disabling condition has a major impact on their life.

Lack of helicopters 'puts injured troops at risk'
Helmand medics warn of critical rescue delays

British troops wounded in Afghanistan are enduring lengthy delays before receiving hospital treatment because of a shortage of helicopters, senior army surgeons have claimed.

Medics in Helmand province, where another soldier died yesterday, said a lack of British aircraft meant that bringing out wounded soldiers takes twice as long as when injured American soldiers were evacuated in Vietnam 40 years ago.

An experienced combat surgeon revealed that the lack of helicopters meant UK forces would find it "impossible" to transport their wounded if they did not have access to US Black Hawks. One said that up to 50% of all British "casevacs" - casualty evacuations - use American helicopters.

The surgeon, who asked for anonymity, also revealed that the Royal Army Medical Corps and senior military figures had been asking for a dedicated fleet of medevac helicopters since 2007, but their pleas have been rejected by Whitehall.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jul/26/lack-helicopters-afghanistan-troops-risk