Government to cut wounded soldiers’ awards

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by msr, Jul 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article6727677.ece

THE government will this week launch an attempt to deny soldiers crippled in battle full compensation for their injuries.

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) will go to the Court of Appeal on Tuesday to try to slash the compensation awarded to two injured soldiers by up to 70%. If the government wins, it will fuel the mounting disquiet over the relatively paltry payments some soldiers are receiving for lifelong injuries.

2. I just don't understand why they make these decisions and how they think that there won't be a backlash. Does the covenent mean nothing to them? Evidently not.
    Surely they must realise this kind of case will cost them votes, public opinion towards the armed forces is probably at its highest and yet they go ahead and do something like this? I dare say they would be up in arms if they had their access to the trough throttled :x

3. Just when you think these knobs can't go any lower, they start in with the serious spadework. I hope they lose!

MsG

4. I am speechless. What is the MOD/Govt thinking, the sums involved are £20-£30K. Compare that with the vast sums paid out by the NHS every year for 'mistakes' and it just smacks of bean counting.

5. I suppose there way of thinking is we need money for the fighting troops, probably some pen pusher in Whitehall.

6. Heh heh! You just couldn't make it up. Not even Yes, Minister would've ever predicted this.

7. That's what you get when gobments and their departments reduce everything to administrative issues, instead of realising that there are human beings involved. It just makes it easier for them.

MsG

8. I hope some of Liebour party folks come knocking on my door near election time. I'll twat the gits with my sticks.

Breaking the covenant seems to be the way, shame on them.

9. All that I will say, is that there is usually more to these stories than meets the eye. Papers carry a very specific line - namely making out that MOD is only staffed by civvies, and that we are evil incarnate.

I would imagine that there is, as always, probably a reason behind this, even if on first examination, it does seem to be obscene.

10. Copy of email just sent

Email is his Parliamentary one - more chance he will get it rather than MOD lackey. I encourage others to do similar.

11. Fcuk's sake. What are they thinking? The public are angry about helicopters and equipment already, why would they do this and why would they do it now? And that's not even going into the moral side of letting down the troops so, they're too obvious to waste time mentioning.

12. Second that.

I'm sure these ***** would rob from someones grave if they could get away with it :evil:

13. HUMMm i guess they thought there summer hols was going to be a quiet break for them.....

14. The MOD is appeallng against a forty-page decision by a three-judge panel in this case. LINK. There cannot be "more than meets the eye" or "probably a reason for this" which is not contained within that decision. The Times article appears to give a fair description of the legal point at issue:

15. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

*in MP's expenses