Government tax rebate for 6 month tours

Discussion in 'REME' started by NUTSTRANGLER42, Oct 11, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW THE GOVERNMENT ARE GOING TO PAY OUT THE LONG OVERDUE TAX PAYMENT THEY ARE GOING ON ABOUT. WILL THE PAYMENT TO THOSE SERVING A 6 MONTH TOUR, OR MORE AS I AM, BE MADE AT THE END OF THE TOUR OR WILL WE PERSONALLY HAVE TO ASK THE ADMIN OFFICE TO CLAIM IT ON OUR BEHALF OR WILL IT BE PAID STRAIGHT INTO OUR ACCOUNT AS A TAX REBATE IN APRIL AT THE END OF THE TAX YEAR. I'M CHUFFED TO GET IT BUT THERE IS NOT A LOT OF INFORMATION AS TO HOW THEY ARE GOING TO PAY US WHAT WE ARE DEFINITELY WORTHY OF.

2. To be honest I think it will start from a certain date or tour because how many other people will they have to back pay who have done these tours. Some regiments and especially REME persons attached, have done two of each, if not more. Chin up

3. as i understand it, the payment will be administered at the end of the tour. of course thats as long as u have done the whole tour. i imagine the admin staff will sort this out upon return to the unit. im sure it will be paid as a tax free bonus so it will go into your account all depending on how efficient your admin staff are. id look at it as more of a bonus for being away than a tax rebate as it clearly does not cover tax paid, but its better than nowt.
    plus its only backdated to the beginning of the current financial year.
    i hope this helps

4. Defence Secretary Des Browne updated the House of Commons on operations in Iraq and Afghanistan, and announced that the MOD intends to introduce a new, tax-free, bonus payment for Service personnel on operations.

The bonus will be worth around £2,240 to eligible personnel completing a six-month operational tour, roughly equivalent to the amount of tax paid over a six month operational tour by our most junior personnel. Proportional amounts will be paid to those undertaking shorter and longer tours.

The bonus will be backdated to 01 April 2006, as an adjustment to pay arrangements in the current financial year. It will apply to our Armed Forces deployed on operations including Afghanistan, Iraq, and a number of personnel in the Balkans.

5. I would like to thank the people who took the time reply to my question about the tax free bonus payment. Much appreciated

6. The next move by the MoD will be to shorten Op tours to 5 1/2 months so that they don't have to pay the 6 month bonus.
    Will personnel on WRP in BATUS for 4 months without an entitlement to R&R, free phone calls home each week or a Welfare package for families be included in this. I think not!!!!
    Why not? Because its not a high profile event the general public don't know about it.

No matter what you feel a 4 month stint without any perks is sh1t any way you look at it. Its almost worth volunteering to go back to Iraq if you know your unit is going to be spammed for WRP.

7. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

There has to be a proportional allowance for those who do shorter tours, or the Crabs would never become eligible.....

8. As this payment is not a tax rebate it is classed as an increase in salary (tax free bonus) when you sumit your Child tax allowance or nursery child care you will have had an increase in salary and therfore you may not get the same level of allowance as you do now. I bet the penny pinching gits at the treasury knew this.

9. Tiffy Massive says <<Will personnel on WRP in BATUS for 4 months without an entitlement to R&R, free phone calls home each week or a Welfare package for families be included in this. I think not!!!!
    Why not? Because its not a high profile event the general public don't know about it.>>

Is there any reason why you should? I'm chuffed to NAAFI breaks that lads (and lasses) on operations are getting extra but if you start paying extra for BATUS why not pay singlies in Germany seperation etc, This is what the X factor is for.

10. Cos you get LOA

11. You get LOA and LSSa in BATUS what more do you want? Oh thats not to mention the delights of Calgary etc

Dave

12. Add to the above the fact that the cost of living in Canada is far cheaper in the UK,......

When I was out there, my family ate out at decent places 3 -4 times a week, because it was as cheap as buying food for a decent meal at home in the UK....

Great place. Would go back like a shot....(Obviously, wasnt part of a Med Man, or Iron Anvil exercise then, was I...)

13. C'mon T_M, get real. BATUS (WRP or not) is nowhere near as demanding and stressfull for soldiers, and family alike, as TELIC or HERRICK. The bous is for OP tours not jollies. Unless you count a Saturday night in the Bin as Operations - once upon a time maybe!!

14. You poor dears, four months in Canada. All that mortaring, the IED threat, living eight to a tent, not able to go off base. Oh no, hang on, you are on a non operational deployment doing your job in peacetime in a well established location.

Are you for real?