Government support to Service personnel - Have your say

Have your say on how the Government supports our Service personnel.

Service personnel and their families are being asked their views on how the Government provides healthcare, childcare, housing and other services to the current and former Armed Forces.

In November, the Defence Secretary announced the launch of a cross-Government Service Personnel Command Paper to review the level of support given to serving personnel, their families and Veterans and to publish a coordinated strategy to improve that support.

This will be the first ever cross-Government strategy for supporting Service personnel, families and Veterans – covering all areas of support including accommodation, medical care, education, the transition to civilian life and veterans' welfare.

This cross-government review is led by MOD and is consulting closely with a wide variety of other Government Departments, as well as with the Charitable Sector and Service families' federations.

It is also consulting directly with Service personnel themselves.

The Service Personnel Command Paper team are keen to hear about the issues that are currently affecting you as a member of the armed forces, serving, reservist or veteran, or a family member (be it, parent, partner, spouse or child). In particular the team are keen to hear of your experiences of the delivery of services such as health, housing, childcare and education.

If you would like to make a contribution to the Command Paper consultation, please send them electronically via:
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/ContactUs/OtherContactForms/ServicePersonnelCommandPaper.htm

or via post to:
Service Personnel Command Paper
Zone M
7th Floor
MOD Main Building
Whitehall
London
SW1A 2HB

Further information can be found here.

This information was posted by the Ministry of Defence. You can find a copy here.

Guardian3A said:
I think you are a little late....the Tories seem to have beaten you on this one: edited - No Party policy plugs please....
As a matter of accuracy, the Government's request for views was the earlier, but it wasnt widely reported.

"Jesus", I could be very cynical and say "Come into my spider said the Spider to the Fly"!

OR have the Mod run out of ideas?

OR, does the Mod not listen to what has been reported for the pass SO many years and proven to be right, on SO many occassions and still the Mod have turned a Blind Eye and Dear Ear to the needs of the Armed Forces!

Is this more Civil Servant Suits in Whitehall been given yet another "Paper Exercice" to complete?

Or could it be for real?

Or is it a case that what goes on out there is often passed on by word of mouth and changed or altered as all chinese whispers do. Better to get it from the horses mouth direct, than by randomly surfing to see whats out there.

Bit of a no win here - MOD posts asking for comments and gets slated for doing so. Had MOD not posted, they would be slated for ignoring the service community.

Bumped:

Supporting Forces Personnel: 31 May deadline approaching

All members of the Service community have until the end of May to contribute to the Service Personnel strategy announced by Defence Secretary Des Browne in November last year.

It's time to make your views known. Can you provide examples of where Government support works well or can be improved? How could the Government make Service life easier at home and overseas? What is it that makes Service life unique and how can we mitigate the challenges that your civilian neighbours don't experience? How could we improve our support to the Veterans community?

This cross-Government strategy will address the provision of support across Government for the entire Service community, including Service personnel (both regular and reserve), their families, veterans and widow(er)s.

All aspects of Service life are being considered, including accommodation and home ownership, mobility and the disadvantages this creates in accessing state services, through medical care for the seriously injured, the transition from Service to civilian life and the care for veterans.

The Minister for the Armed Forces, Bob Ainsworth, is leading the study:

"Our Service personnel's dedication and bravery deserves support worthy of their commitment. I wholeheartedly encourage all members of our Service community, be they serving, family, the bereaved or veterans to make their views known about the current provision. I recognise there is still work to do and am personally committed to ensuring this strategy makes a tangible difference."

More information about the Command Paper can be found here:
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/A...nnel/Welfare/ServicePersonnelCommandPaper.htm

If you would like to make a contribution to the Command Paper consultation, please send them electronically via:
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/ContactUs/OtherContactForms/ServicePersonnelCommandPaper.htm

Or via post to:
Service Personnel Command Paper
Zone M
7th Floor
MOD Main Building
Whitehall
London
SW1A 2HB

This information was posted by the Ministry of Defence. You can find a copy at:
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/D...ngForcesPersonnel31MayDeadlineApproaching.htm

Serving Guys and Girls,

The MoD themselves have come directly to you asking for input here, your views in general are regarded with enough respect and gravity for them to do this.

They are trying to get commentary from you anonymously, that you wouldn't wish to put through other channels , one of the things that Arrse was in fact set up for.

Don't spoil it with inane comments or commentary more suited to being posted in crayon.

Please keep this thread as serious as you can, you have a chance to highlight issues that affect you, and be heard at the highest levels.

Thanks

PTP

PTP - point well made but can anyone be sure that commenting via this website will not come back in a negative way from our chain of command?

Looks legit but just don't know

GIVE US A DECENT FCUKING PAYRISE - NUFF SAID, I DONT THINK IT WORTH THE HASSLE OF ME PUTING SERVICE DETAILS ON FOR THAT. I STICK MY HEAD ABOVE THE PARAPIT ENOUGH. THANKS BUT NO THANKS.

Oh dear, GPWM Blyth.

DHQ, might I suggest you make it an anonymous response form? Only I can see a great many replies not being given, for the very reasons stated above, which would defeat the object of this exercise..

My sixpen'orth as a veteran;

1.Why are our service personnel so poorly paid? The AFPRB, or whatever it is called this century, needs sacking.

2. Why are major equipments decorating UK bases having been stripped for spares for the laughably few assets allocated to Afghanistan?

3. Why, in spite of public promises, is there still a shortfall or airframes in Afghanistan?

4. Why sre there insufficient assets (MBT, MICV, SPA, FGA)to support the troops on the ground?

5.Why are our serving soldiers being treated as second class citizens by the Government?

6. Why does it require public outcry before something is even talked about, let alone done?

7.Why does an "anonymous" survey require name, address,inside leg measurement?

8.Why do the armed forces have crap medical services, located in MRSA/C Difficile riddled NHS Hospitals? Other than saving money to squander on failed asylum seekers that is.

Why does charity have to pay for swimming pools to aid recovery of wounded personnel?

Why does charity have to pay for accomodation for NOK to stay in whilst visiting recovering WIA at places like Headly Court?

Why is little or nothing done for the families of KIA other than the often quite excellent unit support?

Why is there no joint service, single location, Centre of Miltary Medicine next to an airhead? We may not have the American facilities at Ramstein availble next time.

Why does there appear to be an ad hoc system of keeping track of casualties, recovering personnel. Why do people 'fall through the net'?

9. Why is there such a short window to gather the views of over extended service personnel, when most of the questions posed will never be satisfactorily answered? Minister or SoS need to say something?

10. Why has the Government, but much more importantly, the CoC, allowed Question 1 to 10 to happen ON THEIR WATCH?

Why does no politician take responsibility...
Sorry, silly question, I ought to know better.

mysteron

LE
Book Reviewer
I can answer the question very easily (and as a veteran):

READ CGS' BRIEFING TEAM REPORT.

No, I mean read it, not the rebuttals but the questions being asked.

I recently re-read the 2007 report to confirm some info. The one common theme is: Stop de-nuding the MoD of funding and stop wall papering over the cracks. The building that is MoD is suffering from subsidence - spend the cash to fix it.

But you will never get it because Broon will never give it, nor will any Government unless the military coup happens.

mysteron said:
I can answer the question very easily (and as a veteran):

READ CGS' BRIEFING TEAM REPORT.

No, I mean read it, not the rebuttals but the questions being asked.

I recently re-read the 2007 report to confirm some info. The one common theme is: Stop de-nuding the MoD of funding and stop wall papering over the cracks. The building that is MoD is suffering from subsidence - spend the cash to fix it.

But you will never get it because Broon will never give it, nor will any Government unless the military coup happens.
Well worry not: if you think the shenanigans over PR08 are bad, you ain't seen nothing yet.

People asked whether contributions could be made anonymously.

This answer from the Command Paper team:

"In conducting our research, we are seeking true representation of the situation: we want to know what works and what doesn’t from the people Government policy and service provision affects.

"We have already spoken to all ranks and Services, but we want to hear from the wider community. This is your opportunity to inform the Government of the real situation.

"The Command Paper team would prefer an individual's contribution to be attributable, but all contributors should be aware that the team is removed from the Chain of Command, and all contributions to the Paper’s research will be treated in confidence."

So in essence, yes, you can contribute anonymously if you wish.

I replied to this in e-mail form some weeks ago when it first came around. Trying to think laterally instead of the usual 'more pay, better housing' points that everyone else comes up with I turned to Dental Crae for families.

Has anyone else had real problems getting NOK registered with an NHS dentist upon posting? I mean the problem is bad enough for civvies, but they aint expected to move house every 3 or so years, to a new area where they can't get into a waiting list. I just don't see why we can't open up Garrison Dental facilities to dependants, either for free or for a reduced rate, is that such a bad idea?

Try living in the Paderborne / Sennelager / Detmold area for a dentist!!! In Sennelager i waited 4 months as the Dentist was deployed and the intrim one was waiting for his/her security clearance! The dental surgery in Detmold is abysmal, but well kitted out. The dental surgery has been closed/open/closed for as long as i have been there.
Many wives have to travel through to Sen or Pad and try and get on the list there. Then having to wait for a dentist or bumping a squaddie off his appointment.
the whole medical services in BFG have gone to rat crap! Not just the dental but out of hour service as well. No trust hospital in your area then you get in the car, on a bus with kids and find one! Normally a good 40 mins away depending on the traffic!
Yes it is good to give our views about life in the services, but do most people here honestly think that it is an anonymous survey and only kept amongst the team who are trying to find out. tried that once with a medical survey and found out later that it was noted on my med docs that i had been interviewed by the university medical team!
Take the name, address etc! and then people will answer with out fear of reprisal!

I followed all the links and sent sensible comments in. This was some time ago when it was first posted. I have heard nothing back or even acknowledgement of points raised.

Latest Threads