Government ID Cards

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by im_a_mong_cpl, May 27, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What is so wrong with the idea of having a Government issued ID card?

If everyone was to have an ID card, it would stop underage kids being served alcohol, it would help tackle immigration, in the long run with the inclusion of finger prints and possibly DNA being taken from everyone it would help reduce both minor and major crimes.

Why is it an invasion of privacy? What is your fingerprints and DNA to you? To me my fingerprints are a bunch of squiggly lines and as for my DNA, i wouldn't know it if it slapped me round the chops!

Say 10 years down the line your daughter/wife/son/husband/whatever has been sexually assualted/beaten up/burgled/mugged/etc etc but they never caught the person who did it. what if because of the introduction of ID cards and a database system to back it up, the person was caught within hours because they left their fingerprints/DNA at the scene. Is it still a bad thing then?

What if an imigrant who has crawled through the Tunnel (if i havent blown it up by then) tries to claim benefit/housing/health care, god for bid even tried to get a job, but can't because he/she cant provide an ID card which is proof of his British citizenship! providing we've got a Govt with a bit of backbone at the time, we could just turf them right back where they came from. Is the ID card still a bad idea then?

On joining the army i was provided with a military ID card that has my name, my DOB, my blood group, my photo and my signature! Is that an invasion of privacy? should i have said no?

So explain to me someone, please, why Govt ID cards is a problem and not just a little bit of plastic that could actually help crime and immigration in this country???

2. You're a troll aren't you?

3. If you've got nothing constructive to say fcuk off!

4. 1) Costs ME £100
    2) My home was occupied by the NAZI's in WWII, who forced the same decision on us. Nazi's are bad.

5. It would appear you picked an apt moniker.

6. 1) What is it were to be free?
    2)what????

7. 1) ID cards will be forged by criminals, just like our current forms of identification - passports, driving licenses and NI cards. Only law abiding citizens will lose out.

2) The body of evidence to suggest that ID cards will perform their intended function is weak at best. For issues like identity theft and terrorism they may actually make things worse.

3) Accept a compulsary ID card and this will make it easier for this government, or future governments, to further infringe upon our freedoms: "Well we already have ID cards so what's the harm in implanting chips into newborn babies so the government can monitor citizens and prevent crime".

4) To add insult to injury, this scheme will cost the taxpayer billions (over £5 billion estimated in next 10 years) and individuals around £100.

That's 2 minutes worth of reasons why ID cards are wrong.

8. I for one think its a cracking idea

But I am in a minority

9. It'd be a cracking idea if it had a hope in hell of working. After all, how do you get one ? Using the current forms of ID that can be forged. And once you've got one by deceit the chances of being found out are far lower as everyone will trust the new card.

Plus it depends on the government successfully implementing a huge IT programme - they have never yet done that so why would this be different ?

The only people picked up for not carrying them would be confused old bats by bored coppers looking to fill their quotas of arrests. If I nip down the road a few hundred yards to get some milk and forget my card then why should I be open to arrest and imprisonment ? We're supposed to be a free country after all.

10. Surely a driving licence is an ID card and most adults have one of those? As the photo licences gradually replace the old green or pink paper ones we will have de facto photo ID crds. After all in the US the Driver's Licence is the standard form of ID.

UQFEGD

11. ID cards are all about Social Control.
    The Gov't already meddles in far too many parts of our lives.
    They can stick their £100 card :x

12. They can stick their £300 card as well!

I am not having one. If enough people say "no" and refuse to have the card or pay the fine, then the system will collapse!

13. From the BBC website:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4590817.stm

Does anyone really believe that a card will only cost between 13% and 40% of the machine that processes it?!?

What planet do these people live on! :roll:

14. Indeed - but considering UKG's inability to purcahse & implement expensive integrated computer systems am pretty certain the system will collapse on its own anyway. here's hoping....

watch out - police state, here we come.

we all bitch and moan about the nanny-state; well it is only a halfway point!

15. Everything. The big question, is why should someone who is totally inncoent of ANY crimes / misdemeanors have to prove it?

DNA aside for now - we have passports and drivers licences.

No. It would possibly help the detection of criminals. What about people who forge / steal ID Cards?

It is an invasion of your privacy. Do your local police station have all your phone numbers? If not why not? They could use it to discount you from making abusive / threatening calls. In addition GCHQ and the Security Service could monitor all your calls just in case. There is no reason why not, as you have nothing to hide. In fact, can you make sure your itemised billing and bank/credit card statements are sent to me. I want to check you are not a threat to national security. You have nothing to hide so I will expect them in the mail this week.

This is a scaremongering tactic. It is still a bad thing. Bad things can occasionally do good, but it still a bad thing.

What if an ex of yours has kept a condom of your semen and this is found at a crime scene. The new "gold standard" of policing means you have no way of defending yourself and spend the rest of your life in jail.

What if a corrupt law enforcement agent manipulates the data to make it look like you are a wanted terrorist so that his terrorist paymaster can evade capture. You have no way of defending yourself and spend the rest of your life in Cuba talking to sceptics.

Yes. Ask for his passport.

No you chose to join the army. It wasnt a job that was forced upon you. You dont have to present the Army ID card to anyone outside the military and if you choose, you can walk the streets without it. Do you see how the choice here is totally different.

I can walk through a supermarket without my ID card. It is my choice. In a given day the ONLY people who ever see my Army ID are the security guards letting me into camp. When I leave the Army, I will never have to carry a form of ID I dont wish to. If I want to go out and be annoymous I can be.

Anonymity is essential to people. Look how many people post here with their real names and service details...... Why is that do you think?

Because it is a false flag.

It will not reduce crime and may not even make much of a difference to finding criminals after the act. We already have sufficient proof of ID to reduce immigration if that was the desire.

ID cards are sold to the public in a smoke and mirrors campaign playing on basic (often unfounded) fears. If even enforced they would create a situation where corrupt government officials, or simply errors in procedure could cost people their liberty with little or no checks and balances.

I have seen you post on the Int Corps section, so I assume you are in the corps - you must know how often "mistakes" happen inside the machines of national security. People lose files, misplace reports etc. Imagine doing that with a CD Rom containing a million peoples DNA profiles.

In a nutshell, ID cards seem innocuous and to an extent they are. However, what is liberty if we dont even have the choice of what we carry in our pockets. For as far back as the "UK" history goes we have prided ourselves in not being a policed state. You think this should change?