Government fulfils promise to veterans with new railcard

It’s January. Why is the launch date nearly a year out? While welcome news in general, why wait until 11 Nov? Why not 1 Nov? 1 Jul?

How many hundreds of thousands will be spent needlessly by veterans so that there can be a political “win” by launching it on Armistice Day?

"Military veterans will get cut-price train travel to help boost job prospects and bring them closer to family and friends, with a new railcard on sale from Armistice Day,

So this isn't a free thing then, does anyone know what they will cost or is it a case of wait and see?

Dan2512

Old-Salt
"Military veterans will get cut-price train travel to help boost job prospects and bring them closer to family and friends, with a new railcard on sale from Armistice Day,

So this isn't a free thing then, does anyone know what they will cost or is it a case of wait and see?
It was just reported on the radio the card will cost £21.

This is slightly better than the standard £30 railcards available to pretty much anyone... unless you're single and middle aged.

This is slightly better than the standard £30 railcards available to pretty much anyone... unless you're single and middle aged.
Initial launch £21 then rising to the standard £30. Haven't been on a train in years.

Initial launch £21 then rising to the standard £30. Haven't been on a train in years.
Like many others. I'd estimate the number of veterans needing a railcard to obtain work/travel to work as very few indeed.

The Iffice for Veterans Affairs is going to struggle to find any meaningful reason for its existence - it simply doesn't have the leverage to influence any significant part of Government or private industry, and so is looking at minor 'headline- making' initiatives. Richmond will have had plenty of exposure to that in previous roles.

Last edited:
Like many others. I'd estimate the number of veterans needing a railcard to obtain work/travel to work as very few indeed.

The Iffice for Veterans Affairs is going to struggle to find any meaningful reason for its existence - it simply doesn't have the leverage to influence any significant part of Government or private industry, and so is looking at minor 'headline- making' initiatives. Richmond will have had plenty of exposure to that in previous roles.
especially when you consider the constant shrinkage of the armed forces and population growth mean that the % of people with any linkage or respect for the AF is rapidly disappearing - the truth is only a tiny amount of the public/yoof and our politicians now have the slightest understanding ofthe virtues of honour service and sacrifice - many are actively against the AF

the truth is only a tiny amount of the public/yoof and our politicians now have the slightest understanding ofthe virtues of honour service and sacrifice
Are you a US marine?

Blogg

LE
The "travel to work" bit needs a ton of salt unless these new railcards will allow discount travel in peak hours: currently on many franchises cannot use them in peak hours, in my case (SWR) not before 09.30

chimera

LE
We have been pushing for these for years, so IMHO this is a good thing. What is there not to like? If you don't travel by train then you don't need it, if you do, it only takes a couple of trips at most to pay back the cost: in my case, I would save more than £30 for just one day return to London.

Just_plain_you

War Hero
We have been pushing for these for years, so IMHO this is a good thing. What is there not to like? If you don't travel by train then you don't need it, if you do, it only takes a couple of trips at most to pay back the cost: in my case, I would save more than £30 for just one day return to London.
Some people are never happy.

philc

LE
£30 is a the saving on the cost of two trips to York for a DTS for me, so I am in. Just wish Trans Pennine had more toilets for the journey back.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer

That's the whole point as far as I'm concerned.

For a wee while there I got a bit bitter & twisted over the fact that I
  • wasn't a student
  • under 26 or
  • travelling with children

....seemed to me there was a Railcard that covered just about anyone but me :-D

Not everyone over 55 is sat at home listening to the dull thud of a solid Service pension hitting their bank account at regular intervals.

I still travel regularly for work and occasional social events by rail - most recently return to Hampshire from a funeral in Darlington by rail.

Political chicanery apart, I'm quite pleased with this announcement.

Happy to wait till November - 'cos it will take until then for my local railway station (Loose Chippings-In-The-Mire ) to catch up with this.

Pass the word.

Additional comments from miserable old scrotes here https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/veterans-railcard.297790/#post-9784406 - Mods plse feel free to mix and match as seems appropriate.

Last edited:

Norfolkred1

Swinger
Will there be a 2 together card if you both served, if not it will be £42 instead of £30 for a two together card. The Defence Discount Card also gives discount on certain routes.

That's the whole point as far as I'm concerned.

For a wee while there I got a bit bitter & twisted over the fact that I
  • wasn't a student
  • under 26 or
  • travelling with children

....seemed to me there was a Railcard that covered just about anyone but me :-D

Not everyone over 55 is sat at home listening to the dull thud of a solid Service pension hitting their bank account at regular intervals.

I still travel regularly for work and occasional social events by rail - most recently return to Hampshire from a funeral in Darlington by rail.

Political chicanery apart, I'm quite pleased with this announcement.

Happy to wait till November - 'cos it will take until then for my local railway station (Loose Chippings-In-The-Mire ) to catch up with this.

Pass the word.

Additional comments from miserable old scrotes here https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/veterans-railcard.297790/#post-9784406 - Mods plse feel free to mix and match as seems appropriate.
The point is 'why should retired Service personnel be advantaged over any other retiree?'. The only exception being those in receipt of IP, WP or GIP.

How much does it cost?

If it is to help boost job prospects then I imagine there will be no time limitations on travel? If it is only usable after 09.30 for instance then it certainly won’t boost job prospects.

But on the whole I welcome this as a step forward, which will provide a benefit to many veterans.

Latest Threads