Government finds extra £40M for Olympic ceremonies

BBC News - London 2012 Olympic ceremonies budget doubled

So HMG are slashing and burning but can find £40M to spend on streamers fireworks and dancers.

BBC news tonight showed the precisely drilled Chinese efforts. Presumably Dave doesn't want to be outdone and will claim its our advert to the world's tourists.

I can't help feeling ghat whatever we spend it will end up a bit of a shambles. I could write the inevitable choreography now for 50 quid.

£5 to the first Arrser to spot a Sikh Drummer, Chinese Dragon or Jamaican limbo dancer in the inevitable Multicutural PC "Celebrations" that the £80M gets spunked on.

£5M if you spot anything more military and representative of our history than a Red Arrow or shortbread tin style Bearskinned Guardsman

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I wonder how they worked out that amount was needed? till it reassures me that my pension is affordable if we can afford to keep chuking money away. I don't know anyone that's going or wants to.

IIRC the one we had for Sydney was a very tasteful effort involving blokes in kangaroo and goanna suits riding around on pushbikes. Culture? We've got it coming out of our ********* we have.

I wonder how they worked out that amount was needed? till it reassures me that my pension is affordable if we can afford to keep chuking money away. I don't know anyone that's going or wants to.
Well they couldn't be arsed with publishing the sums on Pensions or how much losing NHS Direct will cost the NHS in wasted time but I suspect they know how much a good party costs

IIRC the one we had for Sydney was a very tasteful effort involving blokes in kangaroo and goanna suits riding around on pushbikes. Culture? We've got it coming out of our ********* we have.
Koala? At least the Australians have a sense of humour

This will be bloody embarrassingly awful. I'll give you evens it'll be centred around a multi ethnic bunch of kids playing bongos out of time before a London bus comes on with David Beckham & whoever just won Britain's Got Talent

This will be bloody embarrassingly awful. I'll give you evens it'll be centred around a multi ethnic bunch of kids playing bongos out of time before a London bus comes on with David Beckham & whoever just won Britain's Got Talent
Followed by Cameron hugging hoodies. I wonder if he'll be willing to be a "research patient". BBC News - Everyone 'to be research patient', says David Cameron If so it'll have to be for a Gynaecologist .

Despite the extra funding, it will still be an exercise in bad taste. I can think of better ways to spend £80 million of pulic money.

How will they find the money? Simple - by using 6500 soldiers to 'service' the Olympics.

Everything is a lower priority. Take this quote as an example: "If 10 more soldiers die in Helmand while the Olympics are on, so be it."

How so? Because MST is being cut short to enable the Olympics.

Now frame your priorities. Weird drum dancers become affordable, no?
Looking forward to seeing Cameron's diary secretary manning the anti-aircraft radar. It worked for Immigration Service duties last week (if you believe the bollocks and spin)

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I thought they were printing more money we allegedly don't have, we will all feel the pain i'm sure of that but some will feel it much less and may do rather well out of us.

LAIT

Where did that quote "if an extra ten soldiers....." come from?

No, goanna, it's a lizard that runs like ****. You are advised if chased by one to lie flat on the ground, it thinks vertical objects are trees and will climb you. It has **** off big claws and tastes like chicken, but chewier. But I digress. No, our gay arty luvvies thought it tres chic to present such a cringeworthy effort to the world.

I thought they were printing more money we allegedly don't have, we will all feel the pain i'm sure of that but some will feel it much less and may do rather well out of us.
I've already got my wheel-barrow ready in memory of 1929.

1930sHyperinflationWheelbarrow.jpg

BBC news tonight showed the precisely drilled Chinese efforts. Presumably Dave doesn't want to be outdone and will claim its our advert to the world's tourists.
I'm not a huge fan of the Olympics, but they are a great big advert to the world's tourists, businesspeople, etc. It's a sizeable investment but one that will, over quite a short period of time, give back to the taxpayer.

I understand the childish logic of your post, but it's time to stop whining about your pension. Think of it like this:

Your dad's lost his job and can no longer afford to give you the games console he promised. You're still going to have a nice comfortable bed and a roof over your head. Don't have a tantrum when he pays the gas bill.

I'm not a huge fan of the Olympics, but they are a great big advert to the world's tourists, businesspeople, etc. It's a sizeable investment but one that will, over quite a short period of time, give back to the taxpayer.

I understand the childish logic of your post, but it's time to stop whining about your pension. Think of it like this:

Your dad's lost his job and can no longer afford to give you the games console he promised. You're still going to have a nice comfortable bed and a roof over your head. Don't have a tantrum when he pays the gas bill.
Abandoned, derelict, covered in graffiti and rubbish: What is left of Athens' £9billion Olympic 'glory' | Mail Online

I'm afraid the quote came from an actual Field Force commander not below 1* rank. It feels good.

On a wider stage, when Big Dave looks at Op OLYMPICS matched against A2020, does anyone really believe he will weigh operational capability against our ability to fight now or in the future when the Olympics are on? No. He will judge on whether sacking this or that Battalion in a marginal constituency means less votes for him. All logic dictates that the old 2xx patch should have been folded with AVANTI but no! Behold - GOC SCOTLAND with an enormously capable and newly promoted 1* (lifed).

So all those suckers on H17 get shorter MST - the Olympics get centre stage - and for God's sake don't step on an IED cos Big Dave will move heaven and earth to make sure your bag comes home in media silence.

FACT.
My Platoon Commander at Sandhurst (1974) warned me in my final interview, 'not to get too cynical'.

As time has worn on, I have concluded that it is impossible to be cynical enough, if one is ever to comprehend the ways in which our masters (elected or appointed, military as well as civvy) think about the responsibilities whose dutiful discharge they are paid such princely sums to oversee.

Gotta go - I just heard the gravy train pulling in: mebbe one day I'll catch it, too . . . .

Off topic DD but just to be clear I am fortunate enough to be one of the 12% of private sector staff still in a final salary scheme. So its not a whinge about that

Fact is the Chinese did a pretty good job of showing themselves off. I'm a sucker for a well drilled display and they delivered that. The uniformity was part of it's charm

Ours will try be all things all people and will fail in contrast. Whether we spend £80M in total or £8M

It should come as no surprise that the Greeks managed to **** up the investment.
Aside from the fact the disparity of the investment, Greece was already a tourist attraction, the birth of civilization et al.... so what has London 2012 got to offer?