Government even considering Axing Special Forces?

Discussion in 'Strategic Defence & Spending Review (SDSR)' started by Signallers, Jan 31, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Signallers

Signallers Book Reviewer

The considering amount of Interest in the Defence Budget has become even more Interesting this week as The Prime Minister needs to save at least around £6,000,000 in the next few months to even aquire enough to keep The Unholy slanging Match between the Treasury, MOD and Downing Street, surely our Devasit doesn't need to come to an arrangement to affect our National Security especially when our Country is at the Terrorist Risk State: Substantial, (an attack is a strong possiblilty), and this backlash of cutting our Regular Army and
    Increasing the Territorial Army or (reserves) as they now like to be called?
    Does our interests really need affecting to this extortionate extent?

Source: Britain's defence policy has become a Whitehall farce – Telegraph Blogs

2. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Well?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  3. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. I've read that through 3 times now, and still don't have a clue what it means.

5. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

You lost me at this point. Its not a matter of what we want to be called its a matter of what other, way above our pay grade choose to call us. Still I suppose it reveals your prejudices.

However I looked through the article you linked to and found no substance in it and I looked at the article it linked to and again there was nothing about axing SF.

Any right minded person should be concerned about the deep cuts to our Armed Forces' capabilities as we lurch from crisis to crisis in an uncertain world but journalism has to be a little more that making stuff up.

6. You may need some of these: ,,,,,;;;,,....
    And you might want to send the key setting

7. I think the OP is special, but not necessarily in the forces...

More seriously, SF are relatively expensive, but they will always have a pool of manpower to draw on for recruitment. My worry would be more affording the much more complex and expensive package of assets required to ensure we can put a genuine world class SF capability into the field, which is where things get very pricey indeed...

8. Depends on your understanding of 'axing'. It could be seen as either removing something completely, or reducing something by a certain amount in one go. This bit of the second article suggests the second meaning of that.