Government could save money on public sector food.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by EX_STAB, Mar 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://uk.news.yahoo.com/06032007/325/mps-say-public-sector-food-bill-cut.html

2. I think the answer is yes and no.

Peter

3. Agreed,

"We want you to reduce your profits"

Ok, we can do that , as long as you don't mind the quality of the food, because we are not a charity.

Stable doors etc.

4. What about the effects of such a move on farmers? We're already seeing the death of the industry - the money farmers make on e.g. milk falling in real terms year on year. If "driving a harder bargain" = shafting supermarkets, fine. However, I imagine even this will result in supermarkets "driving a harder bargain" with suppliers.

5. Dairy farmers are going out of business because of the stranglehold the supermarkets have on them. How ironic that dairy farms are thriving in New Zealand and that they export their products to the EU. People do not see beyond the price when purchasing food, quality has a price and it should be paid.

6. And so those of us who cannot afford the quality will just have to suffer? Some, like Worrell Thompson, who suggest that we should spend a third of our income on food do not realise that some of us do - and don't get the chance to eat steak, tuna steaks or pork joints

7. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I quite agree, Sven - we need more sources of good meaty protein. Whale, Dolphin and Seal spring instantly to mind :)

8. So what do you suggest then Sven? The farmers should charge even less than they already do? The supermarkets shouldn't make a profit or perhaps the tax payers should subsidise your evening meal?

Quality does have a price in all things and if you can't afford that price then you will have to make do with lesser quality, blame capitalism or something but that is just the way it is.

9. I'll wager that you spend more on TV subscriptions/DVD/TVs etc and down the pub (i.e entertainments) than you do on food. Food in the UK is cheap, even good food. That's why growers are getting shafted.

10. Never happen, cause Pilots like their PIEs to much.
    john
    A&D on the aviation board.

11. It would be more benificial if contracts could be changed more easily, rather than being tied in when it is no longer the best deal on the market.

Also companies should be forced to live up to their contract.

The attitude adopted should be:

"WE DON'T FCUKING CARE IF YOU'RE NOT MAKING A BIG PROFIT YOU SIGNED UP TO PROVIDE - SO PROVIDE"