Government admits rendition flights

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by rockape34, Feb 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. HERE

...surely not more dissembling by our glorious leaders ...

2. Pity we couldn't rendition Browns and Millibands sleazy arrse to Gitmo.

Bigger danger to the UK than AQ the pair of them.

3. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Still, it was the old regime, and we're very sorry.
    New-New-Labour apologises for the failings of Old-New-Labour.
    US regrets taking the pi66 out of "Best Buddy Nation" by staging flights through DG and not telling anyone.

Anyone surprised?

And they did it all the time anyway, so, moving on ...
    Arsene Wenger was disappointed in his team's latest result ....

4. So they lied. Hands up who is really surprised.

5. blue-sophist

... :cheers:

I'm really surprised it was only twice ... :wink:

6. So you think they only owned up because someone was about to break the story, then? No, they did it out of respect for the truth and because it was the right thing to do, I tell you!

Excuse me, I'm just off to Hartlepool to buy some exploding trousers.

Peep.

7. blue-sophist

They owned up because otherwise Mohammered Fayled was going to accuse HRH DofE of piloting the flights.

Obvious, innit.

8. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with' 'so-called' rendition flights'?

At a tangent, can anyone tell me what is wrong with 'bugging' an MP whilst talking to a man accused of 'terrorist activity'. Especially, as it is reported that the two men have known each other since childhood, and, one of them has been refused permission to remain in the USA beyond a matter of days.

If we are to defeat the filth masquerading as 'jihadists', then every effort must be employed. (Unless of course, you are a limp-wristed pinko liberal twat).

9. I wouldn't be surprised if even the US administration (being inept as they are) weren't aware of the CIA doing this. Annoys me that the US is allowed to get away with this crap.

Perhaps it's about time MI6 set up some 'sub stations' on the US mainland and started playing around in their country.

Jingoistic prigs.

10. Nothing wrong with the principle behind rendition flights as far as I am concerned - nor water boarding!
    As for the Government telling porkies? Never! :pissedoff:

11. good points.

12. As a country which prides itself on being a model of freedom and democracy this admission is hugely embarrassing to the Government.

You ask what is wrong with rendition.

Rendition and extraordinary rendition are terms for transporting a suspect from a third country either back to the US, or on to a third country, outside normal extradition procedures. The practice has provoked international concern that detainees could be tortured in the countries to which they are sent.

Under UK law, it is illegal for British officials even to acquiesce in the face of torture, anywhere in the world.

Rendition should only be granted if the Government are satisfied that the rendition would accord with UK law and our international obligations.

The fundamental principal of law is the presumption of innocence over guilt. A burden of proof must be established to deny an individual the status of being innocent.

To be effectively kidnapped and sent to another country for torture without due process of law is illegal. If you cannot see the problem with this procedure then perhaps you would be happy to impose a UK self styled Ministerium für Staatssicherheit (Stasi).

I would respectfully suggest that we are no better than the tin pot dictatorships we look down our collective noses at, if we allow this procedure to be carried out.

Our model of democracy will have been compromised into an unrecognisable authoritarian regime.

I have an uneasy feeling that this information is being drip fed to the electorate to gauge the mood of public apathy. If there is no “hue and cry” more revelations will follow including the use of Prestwick Airport.

This has occurred despite strenuous denials by Bliar and Straw, who have once again demonstrated that:

They have blatantly lied to Parliament.

They were not aware of the situation, which must point to the fact that they are grossly incompetent and are unaware of illegal activities occurring on their watch. Ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law.

This embarrassing episode should force both Bliar and Straw into the political wilderness, and they should not be courted as political celebrity but rather as criminal incompetents.

13. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I suspect this is more to do with the yanks collating the data not knowing that Diego Garcia is British Territory and so didn't disclose the details than our pollies lying. In no way supporting this current bunch of chancers and losers in any way though.

14. blue-sophist

Incompetence is still no excuse.

And Bliar and Straw lied [again and again and again .... ] and in this case were found to have no forking clue what was going on, as Mad Mac said, on their watch.

Harrumph. And cnuts, as I'm feeling quite grumpy at the moment.

15. I'm not an apologist for Blair or Straw but some of what you said there smacks of hyperbole but it's your right. Seems to me they had no clue and the only comment I saw from Blair on the matter was "As far as I'm aware" which wouldn't make him a liar. Unusually I'll side with the politicians and think it unusual to label them incompetent if they were not made aware of these rendition flights by the relevent authorities. I.e. MI6, Navy/RAF??