Gout, yeah I know hah ha and all that, but Christ it hurts!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Zulu_w, Apr 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just been diagnosed with gout by the Doctor. Stating the bleeding obvious its sodding painful.

Once the p1ss taking subsided along with the pain it has become apparent that my current fairly carefree lifestyle is in need of change.

Due to see the Doctor again once foot has stabilised and hopefully will work out a future course of action to prevent another attack.

However tried to see what is out there on the net and as usual lots to read but difficult to weed out decent gen from all the snake oil salesmen.

Seems beer, wine, red meat, asparagus are out amongst other things. :cry:

So my question is to any fellow sufferers is what to do?

Any advice and/or top tips would be welcome.

I have already considered throwing myself off something suitable tall but have reserved this as a fall back position for now.
  2. No doubt some of the medical types on here will give you the facts, however, I have suffered on and off for about 10 years. It's very difficult to pin down what exactly causes your gout, a friend of mine also suffers but it's orange juice that causes his attacks. My doc prescribed a daily dose of pantaloc (anti acid) and 2 types of anti inflammatory for when I have an attack, naproxin and colchineal (SP?)

As for lifestyle changes, drink plenty of water, exercise etc. my doc suggested one beer followed my one water!

My first and most painful attack had me carried by two buddies to the MRS.

3. amputate your legs.
  4. Ah wonderful having read your post and the link posted by jarrod, i have self diagnosed that what i thought was a bruised foot a few weeks ago, that went away and then came back is probably gout, and can testify that it is bloody painful, looks like a trip to the doctors next time for me.
  5. I was diagnosed with the dreaded 'goat' aged 27. First MO I saw wouldn't believe that I hadn't just fallen over whilst pi$$ed and bruised my foot. Second one, some months later, diagnosed correctly and told me I had to stay off all alcohol, all meat (not just red) for at least 6 months and stop smoking. Obviously I told him I'd rather have my feet removed!
    Over the years I have compromised (cut down on the fags), but normally find a good bollocking of Indometacin at the first signs of an attack does the trick.
  6. Several of people i know that have gout and they now drink mild as it doesn't seem to bring on an attack. Hope this helps to keep you drinking.
  7. Hemlock was the traditional treatment but probably not on a trial and error basis, could be your last. Oh and you need to avoid sardines
  8. Did consider at least removing the offending foot :(

Chickened out :oops:
  9. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Had it for years yet can go for a couple of years with no attacks then can get several in one year.

The worst pain I have ever had to endure. No sleep, not even the slightest weight on the inflamed joint, not even a bed sheet. Can't walk for about 36 hours, home visit by the doctor. Real cry baby stuff, but by feck sore as hell.

Whatever you do ensure you get it properly treated by your GP. Blood tests will determine the correct medication. In my case it is diclofenac (voltarol) during an attack and alopruninol to try and keep it at bay.

No attack for over a year so one probably just a few weeks away. (Bugger) :cry:
  10. Umm shouldn't you be asking a doctor or other type of medical professional?
  11. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

The worst pain I have ever had, although I still went to work, civvy co-workers were gobsmacked I was there but I, like most of you dont do sick, but it really really hurt
  12. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Then you are lucky it was a relatively minor attack (IMHO) or you have an extremely high pain threshold.
  13. Seen the Doctor for initial diagnosis. First visit to a quack in over 9 years so you know it had to be bad.

Going back for further advice.

However it doesn't hurt to get some advice as to what works and doesn't work from those who may have it.

Having an idea of the lifestyles led by many on this site I felt that I would be drawing on a rich vein of first hand experience.

My thanks to those who have responded. At the very least its nice to know that some other poor bstard is also suffereing. :D
  14. Or maybe its just you thats weak Yin?
  15. Difficult to advise about "triggers". I am not convinced about meat, port, asparagus etc or any of the often quoted triggers. My personal experience is that over the counter equivalents of voltarol are effective for dealing with attacks. I account my freedom from attacks for the last 18 months to taking 1,000mg Vit C every morning, which Mrs F insists will protect me from colds