Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Gout .... Do you get it?

Since I moved to Oz about 5 years ago I have suffered from Gout.

Its s fekn aching pain that can disable me, I cant put a shoe on when I have an attack.

Never mind it being Henry 8th disease, it's a v painful pain.

Any other arrests have gout and cures? I'm shitting blood I've taken so many ibuprophen!

I suffer from the same thing and fully sympathise. Go see your doctor - you'll need some drugs to bring it under control, following which you should be prescribed Allopurinol (a daily pill) probably for the rest of your natural.

This is the biggest bump in history, but gout is the worst and most frustrating pain ever.
I’ve had it in my big toe and ankle, where even the weight of a quilt is unbearable.
My wife’s millionaire boss who she’s definitely not having sex with, is also a Bon viveur and recommended a robust glug of Cider vinegar as soon as the rumblings start.
I have to say that the rich, handsome asshole is correct.
Having said that, the last time I had it we didn’t have any cider vinegar, so a shot glass of Sarsons and 2 500mg cocodamol didn’t even take the edge off, but it made my day at work more interesting, or so I’m told.

I used to get Gout something terrible, couldn't have a sheet laying on my foot and moving around was impossible.
Doctor told me I was dehydrated, now at the first sight of it I chug water like a wannabe actress chugs hollywood producer cock and it tends to go away.

Yep, you'll need colchicine to kill off the attack, then allopurinol to ensure it don't come back.
With me its deffo dehydration that caused it, so drink plenty of water, and more again if yer drinking alcohol.

I got gout regularly, until I went on allopurinol, never had even a twinge since.

I suffered from it for decades. It can afflict you in either a chronic or acute way, that is to say permanently or in attacks which pass after a week/10 days.
Avoid foods which are particularly likely to cause the condition, but I have had it explained to me that it is a metabolic disorder which can afflict sufferers who may have a reasonable diet.
For many years I associated my acute attacks with the dietary changes which occurred when I moved between UK and the Middle East.
Treatment of the chronic version requires a lifelong regime of uric acid lowering medication. In acute cases the usual treatment is indomethicin which is really just a specific painkiller which you take until the attack passes. In UK it’s a prescription only drug, though it’s available over the counter in less strictly regulated countries. Indomethicin has side effects, one of the most common being digestive complaints, indigestion and heartburn etc. It can be corrosive in the digestive tract. A couple of years ago my doc gave me something called omeprazole which is to be taken to counteract these symptoms whenever I am taking indomethicin. How effective it is, I cannot say as I have not had an attack for a couple of years now. It’s significant that I have been teetotal for that period of time, so that’s one clue about a probable cause.
Some of the commonly available over-the-counter painkillers can make gout worse - can’t remember which one, but the info will be online.
When caught out without medication I found that ice packs help.

I thought I had gout in February , down in Portugal with the camper . Tried not to drink the water , stuck to local red wine (lots of it)
Waking every night , joint pain, and the feet, FFS , never had pain like it before

Turned out just to be Covid - 19, took until last months for the last of the symptoms and pain to stop completely

you all have my sympathy

Dehydration, Bovril and beef mince cause it in me. Colchicine to stop the immediate pain, washed down with ibuprophen (usually 2x 300mg tabs). I've been on Allopurinol for about 9 months so far.

*** Edit - stock cubes are another cause.

I used to suffer from gout with bad bouts at least once a year. Never had an attack since I stopped drinking alcohol eleven years ago!

I used to suffer from gout something feckin awful. Then, in March 2008 I luckily 'caught' a virus which paralysed me and hospitalised me for eight months. Four years on I'm still in a wheelchair but the virus sorted the gout out, no problem.

Also got rid of those 'skin tags' which are also caused by a virus. Happy Days !!!

Nice, a cup-half-full kind of guy.........you'd be welcome in my trench (no @jarrod248, not that trench).

Holy thread resurrection! I have had bouts of gout for several years, and have manned up and taken Naproxen and suffered for several days. I agree with all the posters on here - it is crippling when it strikes. I hadn't had an attack for a while when all of a sudden - wham - I'm f@cked. Out of nowhere, I thought 'G&T'. So I had a large one, and the pain, swelling and inflammation subsided. Medical qualifications - nil. Scientific rigour - nil. Peer review - maybe those on here similarly afflicted will comment. Anyway. G&T is now my go to remedy for gout. Cheers!