Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gout .... Do you get it?

Dicey

LE
I used to suffer from gout something feckin awful. Then, in March 2008 I luckily 'caught' a virus which paralysed me and hospitalised me for eight months. Four years on I'm still in a wheelchair but the virus sorted the gout out, no problem.

Also got rid of those 'skin tags' which are also caused by a virus. Happy Days !!!

Chunkie

War Hero
I take a combination of Arthrotec 75 and Colchicine daily for gout and that seems to keep it at bay, however it does nothing for the nerve pain in my feet caused by type 2 diabeties! My Doc is a little concerned about the Arthrotec 75 being taken over a long period, but the colchicine apparently has no effects and does nothing when I dont have a gout attack. I think it keeps it at bay as I didnt have an attack for a year when my Doc took me off it and Arthrotec 75, within a week I was in agony with gout again?
For those with type2 and painfull feet ask your Doc for small dose Amitriptyline, it dont work that good but makes you feel happier about it!

G

goatrutar

I used to suffer from gout something feckin awful. Then, in March 2008 I luckily 'caught' a virus which paralysed me and hospitalised me for eight months. Four years on I'm still in a wheelchair but the virus sorted the gout out, no problem.

Also got rid of those 'skin tags' which are also caused by a virus. Happy Days !!!

That sounds fucking nasty. Meningitis or similar?

Dicey

LE
For those with type2 and painfull feet ask your Doc for small dose Amitriptyline, it dont work that good but makes you feel happier about it!

I used to take 3/4 Amitriptyline a day (for 3 years or more) because the nerve pain in my feet was unbearable. Couldn't understand why I was sleeping all the time until a Locum Doctor told me it was the tablets and they are highly addictive in the long term. Had to cut down gradually - over a year - and take Paracetamol instead.

Take them if you need to, but as Chunkie says, small doses and short period of time.

Dicey

LE
That sounds fucking nasty. Meningitis or similar?

They never really found out but they 'think' it was a really nasty attack of whats known as Guillain-Barre Syndrome. Whatever it was, it fucked me big-time. I reckon I've had more nurses handle my knob than anyone else in South Wales...and I never felt a thing.

Last week I read an article in the Daily Mail which said that "recent studies have proved that taking one Garlic pearl capsule a day is 100 times more effective than taking antibiotics and, amongst loads of other things can even prevent an attack of a rare paralysing disorder called Guillain-Barre Syndrome

Fucking outstanding - only 4 years too late !!!

So take the Garlic pearls boys, you really don't want this shit.

Mattb

LE
They never really found out but they 'think' it was a really nasty attack of whats known as Guillain-Barre Syndrome. Whatever it was, it fucked me big-time. I reckon I've had more nurses handle my knob than anyone else in South Wales...and I never felt a thing.

Last week I read an article in the Daily Mail which said that "recent studies have proved that taking one Garlic pearl capsule a day is 100 times more effective than taking antibiotics and, amongst loads of other things can even prevent an attack of a rare paralysing disorder called Guillain-Barre Syndrome

Fucking outstanding - only 4 years too late !!!

So take the Garlic pearls boys, you really don't want this shit.
Does garlic bread do the same job?

G

goatrutar

They also recon that raw cabbage juice or eating copious amounts of cabbage cures atheletes foot rot?

"They" also reckon that pineapple juice makes your baby batter taste better too. Would you like to try about 10cc of pineapple flavoured spoof?

"They" also reckon that pineapple juice makes your baby batter taste better too. Would you like to try about 10cc of pineapple flavoured spoof?

Although asparagus is supposed to be bad for gout sufferers I still munch through loads of the shit just to hear my lass wretching over my rancid post sparrergrass bell end.

Markus Babbel had that when he played for Liverpool and still managed to win a German league title four years after he contracted it you fucking malingerer!

Grubby Bum III

War Hero
Since I moved to Oz about 5 years ago I have suffered from Gout.

Its s fekn aching pain that can disable me, I cant put a shoe on when I have an attack.

Never mind it being Henry 8th disease, it's a v painful pain.

Any other arrests have gout and cures? I'm shitting blood I've taken so many ibuprophen!

I suffer from the same thing and fully sympathise. Go see your doctor - you'll need some drugs to bring it under control, following which you should be prescribed Allopurinol (a daily pill) probably for the rest of your natural.

Feenix

Old-Salt
Since I moved to Oz about 5 years ago I have suffered from Gout.
!

Were you in the RAF Regiment by any chance? My Brother in Law gets gout a lot. Something to do with sedentary living and an over-rich diet I understand.

Biggish

Swinger
This is the biggest bump in history, but gout is the worst and most frustrating pain ever.
I’ve had it in my big toe and ankle, where even the weight of a quilt is unbearable.
My wife’s millionaire boss who she’s definitely not having sex with, is also a Bon viveur and recommended a robust glug of Cider vinegar as soon as the rumblings start.
I have to say that the rich, handsome asshole is correct.
Having said that, the last time I had it we didn’t have any cider vinegar, so a shot glass of Sarsons and 2 500mg cocodamol didn’t even take the edge off, but it made my day at work more interesting, or so I’m told.

Wetneck

Old-Salt
I used to get Gout something terrible, couldn't have a sheet laying on my foot and moving around was impossible.
Doctor told me I was dehydrated, now at the first sight of it I chug water like a wannabe actress chugs hollywood producer cock and it tends to go away.

skeetstar

Old-Salt
Yep, you'll need colchicine to kill off the attack, then allopurinol to ensure it don't come back.
With me its deffo dehydration that caused it, so drink plenty of water, and more again if yer drinking alcohol.

I got gout regularly, until I went on allopurinol, never had even a twinge since.

I suffered from it for decades. It can afflict you in either a chronic or acute way, that is to say permanently or in attacks which pass after a week/10 days.
Avoid foods which are particularly likely to cause the condition, but I have had it explained to me that it is a metabolic disorder which can afflict sufferers who may have a reasonable diet.
For many years I associated my acute attacks with the dietary changes which occurred when I moved between UK and the Middle East.
Treatment of the chronic version requires a lifelong regime of uric acid lowering medication. In acute cases the usual treatment is indomethicin which is really just a specific painkiller which you take until the attack passes. In UK it’s a prescription only drug, though it’s available over the counter in less strictly regulated countries. Indomethicin has side effects, one of the most common being digestive complaints, indigestion and heartburn etc. It can be corrosive in the digestive tract. A couple of years ago my doc gave me something called omeprazole which is to be taken to counteract these symptoms whenever I am taking indomethicin. How effective it is, I cannot say as I have not had an attack for a couple of years now. It’s significant that I have been teetotal for that period of time, so that’s one clue about a probable cause.
Some of the commonly available over-the-counter painkillers can make gout worse - can’t remember which one, but the info will be online.
When caught out without medication I found that ice packs help.

I thought I had gout in February , down in Portugal with the camper . Tried not to drink the water , stuck to local red wine (lots of it)
Waking every night , joint pain, and the feet, FFS , never had pain like it before

Turned out just to be Covid - 19, took until last months for the last of the symptoms and pain to stop completely

you all have my sympathy

Tool

LE
Dehydration, Bovril and beef mince cause it in me. Colchicine to stop the immediate pain, washed down with ibuprophen (usually 2x 300mg tabs). I've been on Allopurinol for about 9 months so far.

*** Edit - stock cubes are another cause.

Latest Threads