Gout .... Do you get it?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Rawhide, May 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Since I moved to Oz about 5 years ago I have suffered from Gout.

Its s fekn aching pain that can disable me, I cant put a shoe on when I have an attack.

Never mind it being Henry 8th disease, it's a v painful pain.

Any other arrests have gout and cures? I'm shitting blood I've taken so many ibuprophen!

2. My diet of lampreys and port bring mine on. Indometacin seems to work, driving reactions may be impaired, so I use that as an excuse when I'm wrecked. Works for me.

3. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

too much urethritis acid in you bllod , caused small crystals to form which are very as you know ,very painful... Have you tried going to the quack for some meds ? they do work .

4. Indomethacin. Gives you the shits but it'll sort your gout. Shellfish brings it on for me. Pain worse than childbirth.

5. Nah - kidney stones trump gout & childbirth in the pain stakes. As I reminded my missus last month when giving birth: "I never got an epidural with kidney stones, I'm gasping for a cig, pass the entenox seeing as you don't need it any more".

• Like Like x 1
  6. I had it when i visited Flashy with my son and i was nearly in tears the whole time , drank loads of water which seemed to help, but hobbling around the tower of London on the cobbles damn near killed me.

7. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

I got it a couple times last year,doc gave me some tablets for it but they were about as much use as tits on a fish...

8. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

I take naproxen for mine, if the pain becomes unbearble.

Otherwise, I stay hydrated and make sure that I don't kick inanimate objects.

I have to avoid stuff like marmite and sardines, but beer which I was advised to cut back on makes no difference.

9. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Never had gout because I am not a huge self indulgent twat who eats too much red meat and shellfish. But if I was a fat purple person and I was in pain? Opium. A superior pain killer to morphine and heroin.

Or you could lay off of the red meat, red wine, shellfish and dossing about all day watching daytime TV and bleating on about your swollen fat feet and how England is going to the dogs.

Just a suggestion there, fatty.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Well thats my daytime routine fucked then

• Like Like x 1
  11. Get it when I drink too much white wine. The pain is indeed comparable with that from a kidney stone.

My quack prescribes Colchicine, which works a treat -- pain tolerable within a few hours, all sorted in about 3 days.

Colchicine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Drinking loads of water when the first twinges appear often stops it developing into a full attack in my case.

More info on gout here: Gout - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

12. Iv'e suffered from it on and off for the last couple of years and agree its fucking unbearable when I have an attack!, eventually went to the docs the other day had a good chat and was given a blood test waiting back for results, years of over indulgence is finally catching up with me :-/

Best advice I can give you is to keep fit and hydrated (even athletes are prone to gout its your kidney's over producing uric acid either by over doing the phiz and being dehydrated) or as others poster's have mentioned being a lazy fecker who smashes down pies and sits on there arrses all day will no doubt give you a bout of the gout!!

I'm neither of the above but it has been known for me to get on the piss and finish off the night with a scabby kebab?!

drink lots of water down and eat ibroprophen at the first sign of a twinge,
    laying off the obvious triggers like tinned fish and red meat (kebabs)are also a good idea.

I feel your pain!

• Like Like x 1
  13. FY fucking I, I don't watch tv day or night, and my feet are things of beauty. I don't do opium or other drugs as I am too busy rolling snout and drinking strong ales. And red is the only way to eat meat, I suppose you cook yours. Should have looked after your teeth. You may have something with the shellfish though, maybe it's the bits of shell getting in me joints. I'll get some lobster pliers.

14. Usually get a bout of it when dehydrated. The other cause is anchovies or other oily fish, or liver and kidneys. Only thing that seems to work is diclophenac (Voltaren) 100mg. Sorted in about two hours. Get it about three or four times a year but 50mg Voltaren at the first twinges usually takes care of it. 100mg only needed if I leave it to develop fully.