Gott im Himmel!

TOM UTLEY: Gott im Himmel! A top university whose staff have never even heard of Rommel | Daily Mail Online

One cannot permit unique opportunities to slip by for the sake of trifles” - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel

Interesting article in the DM today from one of their more considered journalists.
I really do despair at the mindset of some of the staff and academics employed by our Universities. The actual quote that “caused offence” (here we go again!) is attributed to one of the most widely acknowledged, finest military minds of recent history.
To associate him with the Nazi regime, when he was actually part of the plot to bring down Hitler is ludicrous, but yet another example of some elements in our Universities trying to re-invent History to suit their own liberal agendas.
An excellent, inspirational quote in my opinion, which they could well take on board, instead of taking offence at every opportunity. Tossers.

It's a silly article (note the ridiculous attempt to tie it to the Brexit debate) about yet another storm in a teacup. Yes, it's dumb knee-jerkery - the idea that anything a WW2 German officer said must be terrible is nuts. It would be nice if people were more informed about Rommel, but you could say the same about any number of things. At least people know that Rommel was our enemy & commanded a force that killed a many Britons. (The way some other people carry on about him you'd think he was Monty's best mate.)

The real issue here is the ongoing one - Stepford Students kicking up a fuss over nothing & university staff not having the guts to refuse to placate them. We already have a thread for that.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Ach Teufel - Englische Schweinhund!
(Eat lead Fritz!)

Ironically Exeter is the one with the Carlsberg lookylikey stickers:

A leading Redbrick which had a good rep for Law and Languages back in the day. Not Modern History then :-D

Their world ranking would appear to suggest otherwise?

History | Undergraduate Study | University of Exeter

" At the Streatham Campus our research expertise ranges from pre-history through to the twenty-first century incorporating international, economic, cultural and social history and many geographical areas including the Americas, parts of Asia, Britain and Europe. Our particular strengths lie in political, social, maritime, military, naval and medical history. You may therefore be able to choose from options ranging in time from the the Roman Empire to the 1960s covering topics as diverse as the Vikings, early medieval empires, British politics since 1900, women in society, the Norman conquest, magic and witchcraft in early modern Europe and reformation London. "

Last edited:
To associate him with the Nazi regime, when he was actually part of the plot to bring down Hitler is ludicrous, but yet another example of some elements in our Universities trying to re-invent History to suit their own liberal agendas.
He enthusiastically did the Nazi government's' bidding whilst there were batons and medals being handed out. Poland, Belgium France, etc., didn't invade themselves, you know.

He enthusiastically did the Nazi government's' bidding whilst there were batons and medals being handed out. Poland, Belgium France, etc., didn't invade themselves, you know.
I’m aware of that and not defending him, but when he fully realised the sheer scale of the horror he was a part of, he tried to do the decent thing and plotted against Hitler. I suspect if he’d lived to appear at Nuremberg, he would not have received the death penalty.

True. Rommel was resented by some other German commanders for, in their view, having prospered from his association with Hitler and the Nazis. He seems to have come around to the opposition position later in the war. However, it suited a post war West Germany to have a prominent general who was linked to the opposition.
Still, I agree that the modern attempts to reinterpret history are generally wrong.
My main bugbear is phrases such as 'The Nazi invasion of the USSR'; or 'The Nazi Holocaust' as if these events had nothing to do with Germany or Germans.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
I’m aware of that and not defending him, but when he fully realised the sheer scale of the horror he was a part of, he tried to do the decent thing and plotted against Hitler. I suspect if he’d lived to appear at Nuremberg, he would not have received the death penalty.
Just reading a set of alt-history essays entitled 'Third Reich Victorious- Alternate decisions of WW2'

In the piece about Rommel's 'victory' in crushing the Normandy landings (sic) the writer has him executing the commandant of Dachau on the spot, after Hitler is succesfully assassinated during a victory trip to France and Rommel becomes leader of the Reich.... Then staggering out of a crash landed JU52 to take command of the 20th Panzer Division on the Eastern Front and defeating Zhukov.

If I remember correct the James Mason film had Rommel killed by air attack on his staff car whilst travelling back to Berlin ?

It isn't just in Exeter that Erwin Rommel divides opinion - Rommel myth - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Just reading a set of alt-history essays entitled 'Third Reich Victorious- Alternate decisions of WW2'

In the piece about Rommel's 'victory' in crushing the Normandy landings (sic) the writer has him executing the commandant of Dachau on the spot, after Hitler is succesfully assassinated during a victory trip to France and Rommel becomes leader of the Reich.... Then staggering out of a crash landed JU52 to take command of the 20th Panzer Division on the Eastern Front and defeating Zhukov.

If I remember correct the James Mason film had Rommel killed by air attack on his staff car whilst travelling back to Berlin ?

The Mason film does cover the enforced suicide. The latter part of the very good film is Rommel struggling with his conscience in the face of efforts by anti-Hitler elements to bring him on side.
It is a great performance by Mason tbf.

My main bugbear is phrases such as 'The Nazi invasion of the USSR'; or 'The Nazi Holocaust' as if these events had nothing to do with Germany or Germans.
If you ever have the chance to visit Poland, and in particular, Warsaw, you will find plaques all over the city where Polish people have been massacred. None of the plaques refer to "Germans" or "Nazis", but all of them refer to "Hitlerites".

Well, the evidence seems to be that he was approached by the plotters, but chickened out of committing to take part. In failing to commit to the plot, he severely undermined it. Neither did he stand to his perceived duty and alert the regime to the plot. Ironically, he was offed for not actually doing anything.

There is little evidence that he had any remorse or regret about being an enthusiastic supporter of Hitler, even after being somewhat sidelined. Most of his peers seem to think he was exceptionally naive and unquestioning from a political point of view.

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
If you ever have the chance to visit Poland, and in particular, Warsaw, you will find plaques all over the city where Polish people have been massacred. None of the plaques refer to "Germans" or "Nazis", but all of them refer to "Hitlerites".
Soviet revisionism. Can't have Poles hating the Democratic People's Republic next door

How exactly is this about "trying to re-invent History to suit their own liberal agendas"?
There are countless instances where history is and has been taught with a clear lack of objectivity. The role of the historian is, surely, to review all availabe sources/resources and conclude with a well balanced view of the subject matter. I would suggest, that this is not always the case where such conclusions may prove to be too uncomfortabe or inconvenient. Perhaps the term 're-invent History' is cliched. It does however, serve as a convenient discription of those who wish to apply 21st century 'liberal' standards to historical events. Popular, though this may be, the subject of History will suffer as a result of inaccurate representation.

Bestellungen sind Bestellungen