Got to love the House of Lords

I favour an Upper House split 50:50 between elected and appointed. You can only be appointed if you have performed some sort of distinguished service for the UK and/or are an expert in your field endeavour.
No argument from me on that score.

50 elected - 50 appointed - 100 in total.

Although I see a slight flaw in the plan :D :D

If you are a former MP, you can stand for election.
Might struggle to get 50 Ex MP's elected ;);)

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Complaints of sexual harassment and sexual assault by touching have gone through the roof in the House of Lords. This has been blamed on the amount of Peers who have Alzheimer’s and Dementia, and them not being able to remember that it’s illegal to do so. These are the people who approve the laws of this land! These are the people who decide what prison sentences are appropriate, all stuck in the sixties when they were sucking off rent boys and being payrolled by the Krays
Funny but not true. Peers in the 60s were mostly hereditary, and were all pensioned off by that nice Mr. Blair when he reformed the Lords.

The even nicer Mr. Clegg prevented further reform when in coalition, because he couldn't get his own way about who he appointed.

Funny but not true. Peers in the 60s were mostly hereditary, and were all pensioned off by that nice Mr. Blair when he reformed the Lords.

The even nicer Mr. Clegg prevented further reform when in coalition, because he couldn't get his own way about who he appointed.
Really? Oh right. My friend who works in the House of Lords is a liar then. Well, I never thought that someone I’ve known for 20 odd years would be such a bare faced liar. Oh well

Not all peers.
I think ninety still sit. They are self-electing from the pool of all the potential hereditary peers.

But, but but, how many barristers would be out out of work by this notion of drawing clear law which can be enforced easily?

Don't forget how many MPs are barristers, with Chambers to reward for giving them their start in life, or giving their wives cushy jobs ...
How true. I had to represent myself in divorce proceedings against my first wife (she got legal aid to pay for a lawyer). It was then that I found out that “legal English” is a completely different language, where phrases that look as if they mean one thing, mean something very different. If the legal system used plain language then the number of lawyers would likely be reduced drastically.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Really? Oh right. My friend who works in the House of Lords is a liar then. Well, I never thought that someone I’ve known for 20 odd years would be such a bare faced liar. Oh well
Not saying they are a liar, but anyone who was the caricature nonce peer in the 60s is now either dead or removed, apart from a small number who will die off gradually and not be replaced by their offspring.

Unleash the Hounds of Hell on this little runt.

A frontbench peer has furloughed himself despite having a £100,000 cash pot in his company and claiming the daily House of Lords allowance during lockdown, The Telegraph can reveal.

The 62-year-old Liberal Democrat frontbench spokesman for business is the owner and sole employee of Vulpes Advisory, a "strategic communications" company.

So strategic that he is the sole owner and only employee.

Euclid

Old-Salt
Total cnutishness. There’s a bunch of liberally demagogue types who infest some of the local councils in my neck of the woods for whom ‘local politics’ is their main source of income. The whankers.

Euclid

Old-Salt
Total cnutishness. There’s a bunch of liberally demagogue types who infest some of the local councils in my neck of the woods for whom ‘local politics’ is their main source of income. The whankers.

That didnt take long

Lord Fox has promised to repay the taxpayer after The Telegraph revealed on Wednesday that he had furloughed himself while also claiming his House of Lords attendance allowance.

Now apply a size 12 boot rapidly to his wedding tackle and hoof him, without ceremony, right out of the House of Louse.

I'll tell you who has got real world experience and know what they're talking about.

A plasterer, a printer, a taxi driver, a soldier, a police officer, a truck driver, a farmer, a shop assistant, a cleaner, a teacher, a bin man, a barman, a receptionist, an administrator, a funeral director, a telephone engineer, a gas engineer, a butcher a baker a candlestick maker....
And how many of them are MPs ?

And how many of them are MPs ?

Born into Class, private education, and influential family connections old boy, something this soldier- electrician never had, its what you know, and who and how you manipulate the system that brings results....allegedly.

The other entry into the trough, is through local council politics, and the unions, Prescott is a good example.

Latest Threads