Got degree, crap GCSE, officer entry help!

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by psr1bee, Jan 5, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all

I'll make it blunt and swift. I did 5 years in REME, signed off, went to university and about to graduate with an honours degree in Construction Management. I am 24 going 25 next month.

My Maths and English grades are both at grade D. Have you heard or know anyone who were in my situation, and received a waiver because she/he is in possesion of a degree?

Further to note, the level of maths I had to do in my degree surpasses that of a GCSE and probably equivalent to A level maths!

2. Hi mate.

I can confirm, being in the the same position as yourself, that the Degree trumps the GCSE's.

I obtained a degree in electronics, even though my maths GCSE was D (may have even been an E). I got in touch with my ACA (prior to my initial interview), he got in touch with westbury, who gave it the all clear.

If you would like a copy of the emails for full clarity, I would be happy to PM you.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Would just like to add that holding a degree only counts if, it had a certain level of maths required for it, such as yours or myself.

Mike

3. Hello

Thanks a million for your reply! Its ok, I dont need the emails, I will apply and see what happens, but I certainly wont bend over backwards and do my GCSEs Maths and English again; its tedious! I got out of the army so I could go in as an officer and a career change if the former didnt work out, if it doesnt work out for me, then I will move abroad after a couple of years here to get my chartered status.

Best wishes

Paul