Got a query, maybe this is the best forum for answer.

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by TamH70, Jun 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. When I was still in the Territorials, quite a few years ago now, I seem to recall having on my payslip the following info;

Scale B, Band 3, Class 2.

I pretty much know what the Class 2 was, as I was a Class 2 Telecoms Op, but have no clue what the first two codes mean.

Anyone able to shed light?

Thanks in advance,

Tam

2. Blimey that brings back memories. I could be talking sh*te here so any pay gurus feel free to correct me but as I recall it this was the score with regards to regulars:

Scale A = 3 year or open engagement
    Scale B = 6 year engagement
    Scale C = 9 year engagement

Bands 1-7 were dictated by your trade and rank (as I remember Band 3 was the highest a Cpl could be on and Band 7 was the highest a SSgt could be on but I can't remember the rest) and, as you say, the class is obvious.

It all changed when paycut 2000 came in though because by then everyone was on open engagement; Bands 1-7 became simply higher or lower band and whatever class tradesman you are was irrelevant but now serves as a way to gain AIP when you go up a class.

I've no idea how close to the territorial pay system this was though.

Hope this answers your query but don't quote me in a court of law because I could be talking sh*te!!!!!

A-M

3. You pretty much nailed it Alpha-Mech.

There were always going to be losers when we went from 3 Bands to 2 bands under PayCut 2000 (2001) - especially if you were a Techy type person

4. Thanks for the info guys. I wondered why I was getting dirty looks from other folks of the same rank as me who were Scale A. I was getting more pay and never really found out why til now.

Tam