Got a Broken Ankle/ Ruptured Achilles - Fancy Trying a New Type of Crutch?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Bad CO, Nov 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

We've been approached by the UK Importer of something called the iWalkFree who is keen to loan one to someone with a broken ankle or ruptured achilles. The downside is that you'll have to write up your thoughts on it!

Anyone interested pse drop me a line

He's also in a position to provide them at cost price should anyone working in this area (Hedley, Selly Oak) be interested.
  2. hi just wondering if crutch thing still available at all thanx i have a broken ankle and fractured leg my friend who is in the engineers passed me the info i am ex forces raf but am a adult instructor with the army cadets a coy rifles in nottingham thnk you
  3. I'd be up for one of those if still going, just fractured my fibula whilst skiing.
  4. Look great with a parrot on the ankle. No not the the two parrots sat on a perch!
  5. Not a new idea, but a clever one. As Beufighter made the connection with stereotypical pirate look, I knew I'd seen it before.

Is it suitable for all types of fracture?

I specifically remember being pulled straight by a full leg cast when I had a Potts fracture with gross talar shift. After diathermy surgery this was reduced to one below the knee.
  6. Interesting concept, but it doesn't convince me.

The reason for being in a below knee cast is because you have an injury, be that a fracture or tendon injury. Crutches allow some degree of mobility and return to independent functioning needed to get out of hospital and get on with life. However, I certainly wouldn't advise someone with a fracture to play tennis, or even golf, let alone get on a motorbike! The risk of re-injury or displacement of the fracture would be pretty high with too much mobility, or from a fall, certainly within the first six weeks.

Also, keeping the leg flexed like that for long periods of time would restrict venous return from the lower leg, couple that with the already restricted return because the calf muscle is immobilised and unable to 'pump' blood back out of the leg and the hyper-coaguable state the body is in after a fracture and you'd be increasing your risk of DVT.

Lastly, long periods in that position without adequate stretching (difficult to do in a cast) or extension of the knee could lead to significant hamstring tightening. Tightening and stiffness of the hamstrings will occur anyway with these injuries, but I'd be concerned it would make things worse.

People need to accept that injury and illness hit everyone, and that you sometimes need to just accept it and let your body recover! Your golf clubs and motorbike will still be there in a couple months. It may be an inconvenience, but a broken ankle would have been a death sentence a few hundred years ago for most people.

I'd advise you guys who want to trial this crutch to talk it over with your physio or surgeon first and see what they think. Who knows, they may want to run a clinical trial.