Got a black sheep in the family? Checked old bailey records?

Want to find out if you have scum in the family? Read about trials from 1674 to 1913. From theft to fraud, murder to treason.
They are all here:

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org

Also able to see if your family where witnesses in cases.
Why not post your findings on here?

Mine:
2470. MARIA S**** was indicted for stealing, on the 22nd of October, 1 coat, value 10s.; 1 waistcoat, value 2s.; 1 pair of trowsers, value 1s.; the goods of William H*****: and 1 yard of canvas, value 6d., the goods of Henry H*****.

WILLIAM H***** . I live at Deptford. The prisoner was in my father's service—I missed a coat, waistcoat, and pair of trowsers from my cupboard—these are mine.

JOHN E**** (police-constable R 120.) I took the prisoner's brother into custody with this bundle of things, on the 22nd of October—he told me where he got them—the prisoner was not present.

EDWARD S**** . I am the prisoner's brother. This bundle was found on me—my sister gave it me to carry home to Limehouse-fields.

WILLIAM H***** re-examined. She lived with us about twelve months. These are things I did not intend to wear again—I have been accustomed to give my old clothes to servants—we imagine she took them, supposing she might have them—we will take her again immediately.

NOT GUILTY .

Not very interesting. But, lets see whats comes up.

linky not working
edited for mong spelling

Interesting the amount of hits when you type in the word "witchcraft"

ane Dodson an Old woman, was Tryed for a Witch, it being Swore against her, that she used divers Hellish Arts and Inchantations to destroy divers Persons especially that she lamed and distorted by her Cunning in Witchcraft and Sorcery, one Mary Palmer , and killed another as the Evidence believed, but not making it appear what means she used, or how the matter was brought about, and divers Persons appearing to Testifie her Life and Conversation, she was Acquitted .
Interesting that she was acquitted on grounds of lack of proof. I was always under the impression of the Monty Python version.. "She turned me into a newt!!"

Guess they got better?

THE ORDINARY of NEWGATE his ACCOUNT, Of the Behaviour, Confession, and last dying Words of the Two Malefactors, who were Executed at Tyburn, on Monday the 3d of February, 1723.

AT the KING'S Commission of the Peace, and Oyer and Terminer, &c. held at Justice-Hall in the Old-Bailey, before the Right Honourable Sir Peter Delme, Knt . Lord Mayor , Mr. Justice Fortescue Aland, John Raby, Esq ; Deputy-Recorder , and several of his Majesty's Justices of the Peace, (which Commission was opened on Friday the 17th of January last) five Men were found Guilty of Capital Offences, and received Sentence of Death accordingly.

While these unhappy Persons (viz. Stephen Gardiner, Joseph Hyde, John Allen John Bonner, and Thomas Johnson,) lay under Condemnation, they labour'd both Day and Night, by their Devotions to attone for their Offences; especially Gardiner, and Allen, when they had dropt all Expectations of Life, finding themselves included in the Warrant for Execution. They carefully perused the Sermons in the Book of Homilies which relate to Repentance, and to Fasting. And the Tuesday preceeding their Deaths, they all resolved to abstain from eating and drinking to humble themselves before God, and to punish their Bodies; which accordingly they did. As the Day of their Deaths approach'd, they shorten'd the Nights, and spent the greatest Part of 'em in reading, and hearing the Homilies read to 'em. Yet the nearer the Time drew, the less concern'd they appear'd; and they were very willing to compensate for their Crimes with their Blood, and to leave this troublesome World, for a better Hope.

On Sunday the 2d of this Instant February, I endeavour'd to instruct them from the following Words.

As Righteousness tendeth to Life; so he that pursueth Evil, pursueth it to his own Death. Prov. 11. Ver. 19.

FIRST, Was consider'd from the Words, the Quiet and Serenity that is lodged in Righteousness; where is no Dread of being seiz'd and drag'd to Justice and an untimely Death; no suspicion of all Men as of Enemies; no Distempers, occasion'd by Debauchery, Riot and Excess; no dangerous
See original

and destructive Downfalls, occasion'd by ambitious Pride: But, on the contrary, a Security from the Law; a healthful Body and Mind; not liable to Fall, or be ruin'd by the Caprices of any Men, &c.

SECONDLY, Was consider'd the Tendency of Righteousness to a better Life above: As the great Creator has promised Felicity only as the Reward of Righteousness; and as the New Testament enjoyns Morality; Be not deceived; God is not mocked; for whatever a Man soweth, that shall he also reap: For he that soweth to his Flesh, shall of the Flesh reap Corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit, shall of the Spirit reap Life everlasting. Galat. 6. Ver. 7, 8. Now the Works of the Flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, Fornication, Uncleanness, Lasciviousness, Idolatry, Witchcraft, Hatred, Variance, Emulations, Wrath, Strife, Seditions, Heresies, Envyings, Murders, Drunkenness, Revellings, and such like. But the Fruit of the Spirit is Love, Joy, Peace, Long-suffering, Goodness, Faith, Meekness, Temperance: Against such there is no Law, &c.

Hell, half the army would have been executed...

predatorplus said:
The site is very slow and crashes quite a bit. Search old bailey in google. Or click the link and refresh untill it shows up.
The site is slow because several million people are trying to get on it at the same time. It will speed up in a few weeks once the novelty wears off - top site though! Already found a seriously bad apple on my Dads side

armchair_jihad said:
predatorplus said:
The site is very slow and crashes quite a bit. Search old bailey in google. Or click the link and refresh untill it shows up.
The site is slow because several million people are trying to get on it at the same time. It will speed up in a few weeks once the novelty wears off - top site though! Already found a seriously bad apple on my Dads side
Not willing to share? How bad can it be?

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Never mind the ancestors daft enough to get nicked... Whats Variance and Emulations? I cannot go to meet my maker with the dreadful confession there are sins I have not tried.

Sorry, no results were found for this query.

Squeaky clean my family, But then again i only put country in keywords and surname in, any way i can find out what other info to add so i can get some dirt on my family.

I just found a reference to a Thomas W*** who was hanged for running away from his colours i.e. Desertion. Here is his indictment from 16 Apr 1686:

Thomas W*** , of the Parish of St. Martin's in the Fields , Indicted for Feloniously running away from his Colours after he had received his Majesties pay on the 29th. of March last, without the consent of his Captain ; It was proved that the Prisoner the very next day after he received his pay diserted his Majestics Service, and was Apprehended some Twenty Miles from his Quarters, he was found Guilty of the Felony:
He was then sentenced to death on 1 Sep 1686.

A tad harsh, considering he had just been paid and then, like most squaddies on pay day, probably went and p1ssed it up the wall.

Thing is I found a later entry dated 5 years later for the same name from the same area, who was in court for stealing a silver cup. Same scallie who managed to escape the noose or a relative with the same name?

Unlikely to be descended from these people, as most of my family is from God's Country, Yorkshire, but an interesting story non the less.

Ish.

TheIronDuke said:
Never mind the ancestors daft enough to get nicked... Whats Variance and Emulations? I cannot go to meet my maker with the dreadful confession there are sins I have not tried.
According to the bible you won't meet your maker if you indulge in Variance and Emulations:

First Corinthians 6, verses 9 and 10, and Galatians 5, verses 19 to 21:

Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

I still dont know what they are, but if they are works of the flesh, they sound worth a try

NO stop, sorry, had a little look:

Emulations: In a bad sense, meaning heart-burning, or jealousy, or perhaps inordinate ambition. The sense is, ardour or zeal in a bad cause, leading to strife,
Variance: Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
Boring.

Enjoy them if you like, Duke ol' boy

Ish