Gorkhas

Discussion in 'Gurkhas' started by Busterdog, Apr 20, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It's almost sixty years since Indian independence and the division of Gurkha regiments between India and Great Britain. Gorkha regiments in the Indian army are flourishing, each of the original regiments plus one, 11GR reformed following independence, have, I believe, four Bns. Incredible to think that's almost as many infantrymen as the British army has in total!

Are (Indian) Gorkhas paid at the same rate as India soldiers unlike, apparently, the disparity between their (Brit) Gurkha contemporaries and British soldiers?
    Do Gorkhas have the automatic right to reside in India on retirement/discharge (I'm not referring to the large Gorkha community resident in India who are Indian citizens)? Do their pensions compare to Indian soldier's pensions? If not is there the same furor in India among the serving and retired Gorkha community over the percieved inequity?

Are Gurkhas/Gorkhas made aware of their terms and conditions of service on enlistment?

2. I believe that Indian Army Gorkhas' pay is linked to the terms of the Tri-Partite Agreement.

3. Aye gg though the tri-partite agreement seems to have gone by the board, at least in the UK. How is India reacting to this?

4. Incorrect assumption the employment of Gurkhas is still in accordance with the Tripartite agreement in both the British and Indian Armies. Gurkhas selected for service in either army must remain Nepali citizens throughout their engagement and must be recruited and discharged in Nepal. In addition pay and pension rates remain equivalent as agreed in the Tripartite agreement. Obviously though £1.53 per day does not go very far in the UK so British Gurkhas are paid an additional allowance called the Universal Addition which brings their wages approximately in line with that of their British counterparts. The disparity of almost like for like UKTAP Pte to GURTAM Pte that I recently looked at was approximately £20 per month and this disparity could have occurred for numerous reasons.

Gurkhas are fully made aware of their TACOS before joining the British Army.

Gurkha TACOS are currently being reviewed by the MOD. This as we all know is government speak for "we can save some money here", so Gurkha TACOS are likely to continue to change in the coming months. Some changes have already been made:

PAYE has been introduced and Gurkha pay statements from next month should not look too dissimilar to UKTAP pay statements. Gurkhas because of this will now have their own relationship with the tax man.

Gurkha leave has also changed, Nepal Long Leave will cease from 2007. And from leave year 2006 Gurkha leave entitlement will increase from 20 days per annum to 30 days per annum. Their will be no automatic right to celebrate Nepali holidays although in the spirit of EO I am sure that major festivals will still be followed depending upon unit activity and commitments.

Leave To Remain - Once discharged in Nepal Gurkhas can now apply to return to UK with a Leave to Remain Visa, thus allowing them to gain employment within UK.

Gurkha Married Accompanied Service - Married Accompanied Service has been sanctioned to all ranks with 3 or more years service (depending currently on quarter availability)

More changes are bound to happen over the coming months I hope to be able to keep you informed.

5. Or a different view....

The Bde is currently going through a review of its TACOS. As it will (at last) deviate from the TPA, the Indian Government was asked to comment.

I believe the answer was along the lines of, "The T... P... what...?" Yep, completely irrelevant to them but we've shafted ourselves with it for years. Now that we want to change it, there's no problem.

Ace.

BTW, try getting hold of a copy of the TPA.

6. Rayc

Rayc RIP

7. Thanks Ray. Clears up an awful lot of conjecture regarding the tripartite agreement circa 1947-48 it seems to be defunct now.
    If there is total parity between Indian soldiers and their Gorkha contemporaries vis-a-vis TACOS, immigration/residency then, in the spirit of the tripartite agreement, we should extend the same to Brit Gurkhas.

Incidentally are Nepalese nationals permitted to enlist in Indian Army units other than Gorkha regiments?

8. Rayc

Rayc RIP

Good question.

Never thought of it!

The reason for this is because we never look at a Nepali chap as to whether he is an Indian Nepali or a Nepali from Nepal.

I have seen Nepali chaps in every type of unit including the Dog Unit.