Gorka - TA Int Corps Walt?

Blank screen on computer, magazine open with pictures of a man shooting a rifle, cufflinks on back to front and brand new shirt. It's a cry for help.

Apropos nothing at all, if you look like you're going to shoot up a school, you wouldn't need a very big scope on your rifle.

Fair play to this guy he's lived the dream and deployed. He's earned his right to dine out on that experience, even if it means brainwashing enemies of the state.

Old Gorky boys image harks back to a more innocent age where you could enjoy a man's masculinity by his ability to pose suggestively with firearms, cars, leather waistcoats and switched off laptops.

Fair play to this guy he's lived the dream and deployed. He's earned his right to dine out on that experience, even if it means brainwashing enemies of the state.

Old Gorky boys image harks back to a more innocent age where you could enjoy a man's masculinity by his ability to pose suggestively with firearms, cars, leather waistcoats and switched off laptops.
ISTR he got a job a job as a civilian for CJSOTF in AFG. Spent 6 weeks running a printing machine and was sacked.

Several months later, he's in FHM touting himself as a negotiator having meetings with high level TB.

Last edited:
Several months later, he's in FHM touting himself as a negotiator having meetings with high level TB.
Jolly nice of the Standard to give out so many personal details as well.

I reckon the dimmest of Alan's Snackbar's regulars could narrow that down from Open Source.

He needs to borrow that waist coat and rifle. Is it just me or do you think this is how Gorka's internal monologue goes

ISTR he got a job a job as a civilian for CJSOTF in AFG. Spent 6 weeks running a printing machine and was sacked.

Well, you know, he's doing what he needs to do to pay the mortgage. Morally, it's not that different from telling that cutie in the bar that you're Red Five.

I love reading this kind of thing,it reminds me of the worst CO, I ever served under in any RCT unit. He is now highly regarded as a military historian, having written various books and articles on the Cold War,the nearest he ever got to the 'baddies' was a half day Border visit.

"for over 30 years an Army Officer, has written on many subjects. He holds a Masters Degree in International Relations and a PhD in politics. He is a former Head of British Army Defence Studies. He has worked on the development of principles and theories of Military Intervention. His understanding of military and political possibilities has been enhanced through having been to the places about which he has written, which include Grenada, Iraq, Bosnia, Kosovo, Rwanda, Burundi, Sierra Leone and Afghanistan."

I won't name him but, I never met anyone in the RCT who had a good word for him.

I love reading this kind of thing,it reminds me of the worst CO, I ever served under in any RCT unit. He is now highly regarded as a military historian, having written various books and articles on the Cold War,the nearest he ever got to the 'baddies' was a half day Border visit.

"for over 30 years an Army Officer, has written on many subjects. He holds a Masters Degree in International Relations and a PhD in politics. He is a former Head of British Army Defence Studies. He has worked on the development of principles and theories of Military Intervention. His understanding of military and political possibilities has been enhanced through having been to the places about which he has written, which include Grenada, Iraq, Bosnia, Kosovo, Rwanda, Burundi, Sierra Leone and Afghanistan."

I won't name him but, I never met anyone in the RCT who had a good word for him.
Putting that phrase into a search engine pretty much narrows it down to him :)

Putting that phrase into a search engine pretty much narrows it down to him :)
I can't think of any suitable expletive for this man, as a CO he had no redeeming qualities whatsoever. On leaving our Regt, he was posted to the Australian Staff College, he was great on theory but his man management skills and, knowledge of Logistics could be written on the back of a postage stamp.

My first encounter with him was on a CPX, I was a Watchkeeper at Tpt Ech and, we got notification of a realtime accident involving a 22,000ltr petrol TTF in between Hameln and Hildesheim, as I was arranging to get an empty TTF upto the site to crossload, I recieved a very irate phone call from the Ex Control centre at Hildesheim
Demanding I despatch a REME 'Wrecker' to recover this vehicle, I explained to him that it wasn't allowed until the fuel had been x-loaded, he started ranting about the RCT loosing all credibility with the exercise controllers and, what a shower my unit was, I then quoted him 'road transport regs' chapter and verse and, put the phone down on him.

The arranged cross load and recovery,went like clockwork, the A/hole got a pat on the back and, 2 months later he took over the Regt...............still bloody clueless. :rolleyes: