Goretex Socks?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Themanwho, Feb 14, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Years ago, I was issued a couple of sets of Goretex boot inners whilst trialling the Combat assault boot prototype. They were the dog's conkers for keeping your feet dry and warm, and were very comfy. Any idea if they are still available, or if there's a civvy version out there somewhere?

2. I got issued a set of black Gortex socks at Winchester, never used them, not sure if they were any good. Are you talking about the green boot liners or the socks?

In civvie street I know that Seal Skinz are meant to be rather good

Hope this helps

3. Green boot liners, looked like oversized bootees for BIG babies!
  4. I think they've gone out of fashion (first person in my unit who tried to tab any distance in the green booties ended up in hospital with open wounds that were beyond anything tinc benz could fix... ).

There is a new generation of stretchy goretex-type socks available at outdoor shops.
  5. the old green booty liner were blister machines. The new issue black socks are very good. very like sealskinz, except not £20.
  6. sealskinz are well worth the money, very very comfortable and warm. They're lined on both sides of the membrane so no need to wear socks.

wiggle.co.uk is generally the cheapest supplier.
  7. Bought a pair of goretex boot liners in '89 , still going strong, they are fine as long as you are just stagging on and dont have to move far
  8. You should try silvermans, they are pretty good and normally have everything you can think of.
  9. and prices you couldn't imagine! 8O
  10. Including a large selection of optical devices to "See you Off"......
  11. Has anyone actually used the new issue black goretex oversocks?

Are they any use?

Is the goretex breathable enough, or do you end up with wet feet?

I used to have a mate who swore by Sealskinz (reputedly also the manufacturers of the issue ones), but I don't know if these are as good.
    They are quite a bit cheaper though!
  12. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

I've worn the black issue ones for a day's walking before now, over regular green wool socks - my feet were a bit sweatier than usual (not uncomfortably so) but overall they were fine - and they give your feet a bit more cushioning too.
  13. They are good, but as they are quite thick I have to use a thinner pair of socks than usual to get my feet into my boots.

(My boots are rather snug to start with).
  14. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Ah, Mr Silverman I presume.
  15. H3

H3 LE