Goretex: over or under?

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Bravo_Bravo, Aug 14, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Blue touchpaper lit... look UP

2. DPM

DPM Old-Salt

If they're close enough to hear the swish of Goretex, you're for it either way?

dpm

3. i try not to wear it.

4. I vote over.

5. Over, but dont wear trousers they dry out quick enough anyway

6. Why would you wear it underneath? Surely that defeats the purpose of the goretex and you'll end up sweaty underneath and with a wet smock on top! You might as well leave the goretex at home if you fancy that.

7. Over,under is just strange !

8. DPM

DPM Old-Salt

I would have thought that, when raining, it was fairly good practice to take off your smock, put it in your daysack, then put your Goretex Jacket on.

Raining stops; reverse sequence.

If nothing else, it stops people, training schools especially, from loading up smocks to the point that you can't tell the fatties with boy breasts from the keenies with 5 x Pamphlets in their Brecon pocket.

You would probably want a shirt on under your smock, but definately an option in Summer.

Flame away...

dpm

9. What's wrong with carrying things in your pockets?

10. Have you all just been Wah'd????????????

What would posess you to wear it under?
    How very odd.............

11. Pockets are for show! :) :)

12. DPM

DPM Old-Salt

Webbing for a pro...

dpm

13. Goretex over until you expect contact, then off and packed away. I remember back in the mid-eighties being "stalked" by 82nd Airborne on an FTX. We heard them about 300m away and were ready to whump them when the moved into what they thought was an FUP but we had designated a killing zone!! Hurrah!

14. DPM

DPM Old-Salt

You can't get to them if your goretex is over the top! :D

And wearing it under is just plain ridiculous.

dpm

15. Isn't it called a "liner, Waterproof, Gortex" hence under...

I think to be fair, it depends on what you are doing, I used to wear mine underneath as it would tear and get cut when working and the smock/jacket protected it also if it had been raining the jacket was already wet so why put a waterproof over the top? If I was in barracks moving from one building to another etc I would put it on over the top.