Goretex advice please.

This is what puts me off Paramo. £300+ for a jacket that needs regular re-proofing, which can be hit-and-miss.
As I said, I bought the smock 20+ years ago, so I think good value for money. I walk warm, so usually only have a base layer underneath. Never had any problem with re-proofing. The smock is still going strong, bloody thing'll outlast me!

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
As I said, I bought the smock 20+ years ago, so I think good value for money. I walk warm, so usually only have a base layer underneath. Never had any problem with re-proofing. The smock is still going strong, bloody thing'll outlast me!
I think what I've been put off by is not being able to understand how the Paramo system works and the website isn't exactly helpful.

A friend once told me that the insulation layers go over the shell, which makes good sense to me. But I've just not been able to make head nor tail online.

Any pointers?

S-mise

War Hero
Aye, mines an Aspira too. Like I said, it’s only failed twice in 15 years in exceptional downpours. And I regularly reproof it. I’ve also had it freeze up!

I’m not bashing Paramo, it just needs maintenance. My go to winter salloppetes are aspiras. And I have two of those insulating gillets that are fantastic put on over whatever you’re already wearing.

I’ve got a finnistere/paramo copy with a pertex outer layer that is very good too.

My favourite outer shell at the moment is a Klattermusen. Big pit zips and the ability to roll the sleeves up past my elbows. Not many of the usual brands have sleeves wide enough to do that. I find it an excellent way to bleed heat.

I think what I've been put off by is not being able to understand how the Paramo system works and the website isn't exactly helpful.

A friend once told me that the insulation layers go over the shell, which makes good sense to me. But I've just not been able to make head nor tail online.

Any pointers?
Ref bold, I've never done that. I normally start, as said earlier, with just a short sleeved base layer underneath my smock and underpants beneath the trousers. If it's blowing a hooley, I'll look to get to the lee side of the wind, and either put a gilet over it while I eat, or carry on. Maybe I'm a weirdo, the family* think so, but I've never had to wear loads underneath Paramo's outer smock and trousers. I think on the winter skills course, -23, I may have worn merino long johns and long sleeve top. At times we were watching the instructor, so we were immobile for short/long periods of time.

That of course is for winter walking. In summer, it's s/sleeve base layer and shorts. I'll have a gilet to put on for meals, and it'll depend where I'm walking, what's in my rucksack. I used to carry 4 pints of water like in belt order. However I now carry an additional 4 pints in my rucksack, if it's going to be a long day. In the Cairngorms I always have my smock and trousers, even in summer!! Elsewhere I'll have my Berghaus lightweight smock and trousers.

*Not just in the nutty sense. I don't feel the cold, so maybe that's why I'm such a fan, it suits me. Sorry I can't be of more use

I use Cotswold quite a bit as I get good discounts there - their click and collect is good for this sort of thing - order whatever you want to the shop, go and try it on, make a choice and either buy (or don't) and they'll instantly refund back what you don't take - obviously do the same with home delivered stuff but at least then you don't have to faff about going through the returns process/delay.
Cotswold are also very good about exchanging kit. My deformed hobbit feet routinely destroy boots and I've never had an argument with Cotswold about returning them. I did always keep the receipts though.

Fishsoxs

Old-Salt
You've mentioned those a couple of times so I'd simply find somewhere with them both (Cotswold Outdoor probably has them), try them on and see which best fits you - they're bound to have slightly different fits and lengths etc...
That will be the only sensible way.

Some great replies but I had hoped that someone may have used either jacket and given their opinion.

Latest Threads