Gordon Ramsay & The F Word.Hypocrit?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by spike7451, Dec 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

I have been a fan of his for years but recently he,imho,is starting to slide down the same path as those chef's he slag's off.

Take the new series of The F Word,the format's getting old now so to be different,he's looking for the best British Resturant.

EXCEPT that,so far,he has NOT featured a BRITISH resturant,

Indian,Chinese,Thai ect so far on this series but not one BRITISH resturant despite him being a 'exponent' of British food.

So why has he not done so as yet?

Is it because he does'nt think British food such as Cowl,Irish Stew,Hotpot ect are'nt as exciting as other nations dishes?

Or have we lost our national food heritage?

Opinions Chaps?

2. Spike, TBH, you try to find a British restaaurant selling British food, the High St is cluttered with Chinkys, Indians, Thai, Italians and Greeks even Nepalese, but not too many proper British restaurants.
  3. :D
  4. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

But what about pub grub? My local's do great British food,all locally sourced.
  5. A pub isn't a restraunt though is it?
  6. Most pubs belong to chains eg Wetherspoons, Goose, Yates's, all standard menus, all standard ingredients, plus pub food is hardly pukka restaurant style food, there are the exceptions of course, but few and far between.
  7. But this is just the point - they should be recognized and supported.

On the other hand I remember him starting a 'Campaign for real gravy' or somesuch on an earlier program...?
  8. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Both of my locals are mainly focussed on the food.Pier 36's bar area is tiny compared to the resturant.
  9. Agreed. Something but with good food: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Restaurant

Schools should also teach the recipes served there to all pupils, say once a week. Hotpot, shepherd's pie, Irish stew &c. Food is a vital (if underappreciated) aspect of national identity, and national identity is, contrary to romantic assumptions, initially more often inculcated than inherited.