Gordon Brown - Wartime Courage

PandaLOVE said:
Am I right to assume he will be making money from a book about courage by those he sent to an illegal war?
Er - only if he was Winston Churchill in a previous life. Books about WW2, 1939-1945.

Gordon brown talking about courage only makes me think of the old addage

"If you have to tell someone you have class, you don't"

His time in government has been marked by profound cowardice. i couldn't stomach the hypocracy, even though i guess he probably hasn't even read it, let alone wrote any of it.

Quite, a cynical, ghost-written attempt to secure spineless Gordon some reflected glory to bask in - in much the same vein as chummying up to 'celebrities'. Are royalties going to Service charities? No, thought not. In which case, not one penny of my money will be wasted on such a book.

And amusing to read the 2 reviews below. One clearly by a Party lickspittle, the second by someone who wasted their time buying it and reading it. In light of the current discussions about 'spin', the first review is the most outrageous piece of sickening arrse-kissing I have seen in a long time and is so clearly, clearly just a party puff-piece to make Gordo appear less autistic than he clearly is.

2 of 3 people found the following review helpful:
5.0 out of 5 stars A sensitive and intelligent book- superb!, 21 Nov 2008
By LESKA (UK) - See all my reviews
It is amazing that within what must be an incredibly hectic schedule and
an all embracing family life, that Gordon Brown has found the time to write this book. Written with heart- felt compassion, Gordon deals with
the war with the type of humanity and warmth which could be expected from him. He is clearly very moved by the war and this comes across in the book, compellingly so. What is striking is Gordon's ability to relate to events which happened so many years ago, and his empathy is omnipresent. In a materialistic world as it is today, the very theme of this book in honouring those who were brave in the Second World War is so telling of Gordon's wider vision of Britain. Those who fought in the war would find it fitting that a Prime Minister remembers their fight and knows the significance of their sacrifice in that it is a society whereby some of the older generation are heroes who are enobled by the writing of this book.
Comment Comment | Permalink | Was this review helpful to you? Yes No (Report this)

2 of 7 people found the following review helpful:
1.0 out of 5 stars Not a good book at all!, 21 Nov 2008
By Rakeo! - See all my reviews
This is an outrageously poor book! I suppose whoever gave it 5 Stars must be a Labour Party supporter because I cannot find anything to justify giving this book anything more than a single star. It's not that there's anything wrong with the facts in this book, it's just that I found the way it was written so utterly boring. If you're interested in reading about stories of fantastic courage from WWII, then Forgotten Voices of the Secret War by Bailey is a much sharper and more genuine read, with plenty of history straight from the Imperial War Museum archives.

Fifth_Columnist said:
And amusing to read the 2 reviews below. One clearly by a Party lickspittle, the second by someone who wasted their time buying it and reading it. In light of the current discussions about 'spin', the first review is the most outrageous piece of sickening arrse-kissing I have seen in a long time and is so clearly, clearly just a party puff-piece to make Gordo appear less autistic than he clearly is.

2 of 3 people found the following review helpful:
5.0 out of 5 stars A sensitive and intelligent book- superb!, 21 Nov 2008
By LESKA (UK) - See all my reviews
It is amazing that within what must be an incredibly hectic schedule and
an all embracing family life, that Gordon Brown has found the time to write this book. Written with heart- felt compassion, Gordon deals with the war with the type of humanity and warmth which could be expected from him. He is clearly very moved by the war and this comes across in the book, compellingly so. What is striking is Gordon's ability to relate to events which happened so many years ago, and his empathy is omnipresent. In a materialistic world as it is today, the very theme of this book in honouring those who were brave in the Second World War is so telling of Gordon's wider vision of Britain. Those who fought in the war would find it fitting that a Prime Minister remembers their fight and knows the significance of their sacrifice in that it is a society whereby some of the older generation are heroes who are enobled by the writing of this book.
Comment Comment | Permalink | Was this review helpful to you? Yes No (Report this)

2 of 7 people found the following review helpful:
1.0 out of 5 stars Not a good book at all!, 21 Nov 2008
By Rakeo! - See all my reviews
This is an outrageously poor book! I suppose whoever gave it 5 Stars must be a Labour Party supporter because I cannot find anything to justify giving this book anything more than a single star. It's not that there's anything wrong with the facts in this book, it's just that I found the way it was written so utterly boring. If you're interested in reading about stories of fantastic courage from WWII, then Forgotten Voices of the Secret War by Bailey is a much sharper and more genuine read, with plenty of history straight from the Imperial War Museum archives.
If he was so moved and empathetic with these heroes why is it that he wants to sell short this generation's heroes? Why doesn't he take over and fully fund the care and rehabilitation of our wounded? You honour their sacrifice and their memory best by ensuring the best for the current generation and letting their stories inspire and motivate the next.

wild_moose said:
PandaLOVE said:
Am I right to assume he will be making money from a book about courage by those he sent to an illegal war?
Er - only if he was Winston Churchill in a previous life. Books about WW2, 1939-1945.
Then I was right to wrongly assume. Thank you.

Should a man of his calibre not be writing about any subject other than courage? When did he get time to write this book? I thought he had quite an importanat job to do.