Gordon Brown visits UK troops and Afghan leaders

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by singha61, Dec 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From BBC
    Gordon Brown has been visiting British troops in Afghanistan to show his support in the run-up to Christmas.

The prime minister inspected new equipment and held talks with Afghan President Hamid Karzai in Kandahar.

He said the next few months would be "critical" and urged the Afghan government to take a bigger role in confronting the Taliban.

Unusually, Mr Brown spent the night in the country, rather than flying in and out in one day.

He slept in "basic quarters" at the Kandahar air base.

There are currently about one or two attacks a week by Taliban in the Kandahar area.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8410413.stm

2. "to show his support" more likely to get a photo opportunity.

3. Damned if he does . . . . . .

4. Oh just what you want:

Pulled the short straw and drew R & R first week in December when all your old civvy friends are not going out because their saving for Christmas. RAF take 12 hours to get you back to Bastion whereas it took them 5 days to get you home on the start of your leave. Sat in tranist accomodation in Bastion waiting for the wocka-wocka back to the PB. Try and catch a quick power gonk, rudely awakened and told to get dressed because this bell-end wants to waffle to you.

5. Meeting Afghans....makes a change from when he visited the hospital in Bastion in 2008 and the Afghan patients were screened off so he didnt have to see them....

6. yeah yeah, how can you honestly state that this man has gone to Afghanistan to show support to the troops when he won't give them the kit they need as in more helicopters, instead he prefers to send the money that could have been used for that kit to India for their poor or for some climate rubbish. That damned if he does, damned if he doesn't nonsense is just that a bag of nonsense.

7. Does Gordon really care or is this another PR stunt 6 months before a general election?

8. Making a big thing on Sky about this clown sleeping in "basic dormitory-style quarters in Kandahar airfield" Well fcuking hell, give the man a carrot. As if we should be impressed he has foregone his usual luxury.

9. . . . . . . . . . . . and [would be] damned if he doesn't

10. I believe Whet is Gordon Brown

11. Well obviously one of his cnuty spin people has informed the media of this.

12. I've heard that he actually stayed in the VIP accomodation from someone who is out there, can anyone else confirm?

13. Nope, I'm sparctacus

14. Elmer Fudd more like

15. I didn't realise Sparctacus was work-shy scrounging git.