Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Gordon Brown to visit "the armed services"

King_of_the_Burpas

RIP        
Broon is still talking, but he mentioned earlier in his speech announcing his decision to stand as a candidate (oooeer, what a surprise) that he was shortly "to visit the armed services and the Middle East" on a fact finding mission.

He admitted that on Iraq, "mistakes have been made", but didn't elaborate.

"I will be talking to our armed forces", he said, "I will asess what is being said to me". Not quite sure exactly what that means.

He added: "we will keep our obligations to the Iraqi people", but added "the emphasis will shift more towards political reconciliation". I'm assuming that this means more emphasis on making Sunni and Shia become the best of chums asap so everybody can come home.

Just FYI

[quote="I will be talking to our armed forces", he said, "I will asess what is being said to me". Not quite sure exactly what that means.[/quote]

Means he'll be asking you how much cash you have to spend, then taxing you half of it!!! :twisted:

PartTimePongo said:
"I will be talking to our armed forces", he said, "I will asess what is being said to me"

Tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how to do without it....

Business as usual, then.

He's just been asked another specific question about "what mistakes have been made in Iraq".

The answer is very interesting, although familiar to a lot of Arrsers: "Our policy in Iraq was a security and military policy ... accompanied by economic development and political reconciliation. Economic development and political reconciliation need greater emphasis".

Where will the money come from to pay for this change of emphasis?

STOP PRESS: Sky News has just interrupted coverage of Broon's press conference to cover the unveiling of the statue of Bobby Moore at Wembley, attended by Bliar!

King_of_the_Burpas said:
PartTimePongo said:
"I will be talking to our armed forces", he said, "I will asess what is being said to me"

Tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how to do without it....

Business as usual, then.

He's just been asked another specific question about "what mistakes have been made in Iraq".

The answer is very interesting, although familiar to a lot of Arrsers: "Our policy in Iraq was a security and military policy ... accompanied by economic development and political reconciliation. Economic development and political reconciliation need greater emphasis".

Where will the money come from to pay for this change of emphasis?

STOP PRESS: Sky News has just interrupted coverage of Broon's press conference to cover the unveiling of the statue of Bobby Moore at Wembley, attended by Bliar!

Can't do rock-all without security - as the FO/DfID civil servants now sitting in a nice hotel in Kuwait City rather than heavily mortared/rocketed Basra Palace will no doubt tell the dysfunctional Scottish one. Not that, according to a number of reports, he listens anyway.

"Morning Mr Brown!"

"Hello, whits the Hampden here then eh?"

"We're doing a little something called "Ranges" Sir."

"Oh, Right. And wharboots are they going?"

"Butt Party Sir. Take a walk down if you like"

"Aye I will." (Toddles off)

"The next practice is an Individual Rapid shoot at the moving target in front. He WILL fall when hit. READY!"

Ah well, we all have our Dreams. 8O :D

King_of_the_Burpas said:
he was shortly "to visit the armed services and the Middle East" on a fact finding mission.

Notice how visiting the armed forces and the Middle east are two seperate entities????

In other words lunch at Sandhurst and tiffin in Saudi Arabia :roll:

Heedthebaw said:
"The next practice is an Individual Rapid shoot at the moving target in front. He WILL fall when hit. READY!"

Ah well, we all have our Dreams. 8O :D

In my dream, he would fall, scream, wriggle and bleed when hit. 8)

WILL THE ONE EYED-JOCK MISER VISIT THE WOUNDED IN SELLY OAK?

I FECKING DOUBT IT

I bet his visit will be a right rivitting affair.

Whats the betting that he says profound words like "we are very proud of you, you are doing a good job" to every department before leaving as quickly as he can without actually asking questions that he might not like the answer to.

Now somebody like David Cameron or William Hague might spend more time talking to the troops, not the top brass, and listening intently to their replies and may spend more than 3 or 4 minutes in each department visited.

Not that I have ever been around when these lot may have visited :wink:

"Can't do rock-all without security - as the FO/DfID civil servants now sitting in a nice hotel in Kuwait City rather than heavily mortared/rocketed Basra Palace will no doubt tell the dysfunctional Scottish one. Not that, according to a number of reports, he listens anyway. "

Slightly unfair - they only moved temporarily to Kuwait as there was no room at the COB for them. This only lasted a couple of weeks, and that has now changed and they're all back in the COB with everyone else.

jim30 said:
"Can't do rock-all without security - as the FO/DfID civil servants now sitting in a nice hotel in Kuwait City rather than heavily mortared/rocketed Basra Palace will no doubt tell the dysfunctional Scottish one. Not that, according to a number of reports, he listens anyway. "

Slightly unfair - they only moved temporarily to Kuwait as there was no room at the COB for them. This only lasted a couple of weeks, and that has now changed and they're all back in the COB with everyone else.

"That's a cop-out". Gen Sir Michael Rose, speaking on BBC R4 last week.

I'm not saying One-Eyed-Gordon would get my vote for it, but if he puts a rocket up the 'Arris of the knobs at DfID, and gets them closer to delivering value-for-money by seriously addressing their mission, that'd be OK by me.

On t'other hand, I have the impression that he'd have to sack everyone in it, and re-staff with tough people, instead of gutless Islington luvvies.