Gordon Brown spends our cash

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by sparkysapper, Apr 10, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I see Gordon Brown has just pledged 8 Billion pounds for education in 3rd World countries in the hope that he can get other countries to pledge similar to try and raise 57 Billion.

I am not against charity, but surely we need more of our tax money spent on our own education system and charities before we start sending money to other parts of the world.

Am i just feeling grumpy today or does anyone else feel the same??

Sparky

2. If British taxes were spent on services and all other necessities for British people there would be no shortages for the NHS , Pensions or anything other need.
    How many times have we seen overseas aid , whatever it may be called , being used by corrupt regimes , including what is perhaps the most corrupt of the lot , the EU /

3. Maybe we should leave the funding of 3rd World schools to the Saudis. How's that working out for us? Perhaps our foreign aid budget would be better spent giving developing countries Hawks, AD Radars, water cannon and cattle prods? That'll win us some hearts and minds.

Newsflash: An educated population stands a better chance of developing their economy. In the long run they will be less dependent on foreign aid, they'll trade with us and everyone's a winner in the long run. Now before someone starts muttering about outsourcing and other things that have been harped on about ad nauseum ever since the Corn Laws were repealed, would they please become familiar with ideas like comparative advantage and creative destruction first?

4. Can't say I'll begrudge the money going to people who actually appreciate the value of education.

It's not just how much money that gets spent on education that produces results. Speak to some of the Commonwealth and Overseas soldiers in your unit. They probably got their schooling in a tin shack where desks were a rarity and getting chalk for the blackboard was a problem. Yet they are still better educated than most of their UK born colleagues. Because they saw school as a ticket to a better life.

The problem in the UK is neither insufficient resouces or 'trendy' teaching methods. We've just become a society that doesn't value education any more.

5. An 8 Billion tax-cut would be nice. Indeed, it would be preferable to pouring it into the bottomless money pit of 'Schoolsandhospitals'. Let me spend my money on what I want.

6. Not often I say this but, well done that man, it is about time. Lets just hope they take heed of the Department of Internnational developments working paper on aid to corrupt regimes (not the proper name, cannot remember full name but will endeavour to find out if anyone is interested) and they pay the money to NGOs who will make sure it is spent properly.

7. So let me get this straight educating another country is good for us as they become less dependant on us?
    And this is going to sort out our problems here right?
    So 8 billion spent on education here is a waste of time, because no one wants to learn, so how about using it for our NHS or some other cause that is virtually on the floor.
    Who is going to pull us out of the crap when/if it happens.
    I have no problem with giving money as charity but perhaps population control is a better education for some of these countries
    (AGAIN JUST MY OPINION)

8. Although its a worthy sentiment MS, just throwing more money into the bottomless pit that is the NHS is getting us nowhere. This country is sabotaging its collective health by deliberately embracing the culture of "I'm going to sit on my fat ar$e shovelling in pies, booze and fags until I make myself irredeemably ill"
    Obviously, thats a bit of a sweeping statement, and there are many people genuinely deserving of good medical care, but the health service is swamped by irresponsible fools who seem hell bent on destroying their health and soaking up valuable resources.
    I for one, would like to see people assessed and prioritised according to their lifestyles. People with unhealthy/self destructive lifestyles should be charged a higher rate of NI and placed at the back of the queue, after all, a penny of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

9. also sue someone for it, and demand a council house (near argos) to do it in...

10. I know, lets just sell them more arms and they will kill themselves, oh no, sorry, I forgot, then we will get asylum seekers afraid for their lives 'flooding' into this country and taking our jobs/benefits/health services/women!!! (Is sarcasm allowed here? :? ) Jeeez, come on, we are one of the richest nations, we should act responsibly and assist poorer nations and their people - who don't have anywhere near the same opportunities as our citizens - to achieve a better standard of living.

Those comments about education are bang on, educate and enable people to help themselves - that's a benefit that helps everyone - including the self-interested who are only interested in the £ in their own pocket! And by the way - when conditions - such as those imposed by the USA - are not attached to aid money, this education includes subjects such as contraception and sexual health.

As for letting you spend it on what you want Flipflop, lets hope you never need long term care then, cos you'll be selling everything you own to pay for it when other people's taxes aren't propping up your healthcare!

11. [quote="sandmanfezI for one, would like to see people assessed and prioritised according to their lifestyles. People with unhealthy/self destructive lifestyles should be charged a higher rate of NI and placed at the back of the queue, after all, a penny of prevention is worth a pound of cure.[/quote]

steady on and think about that statement a bit, an unhealthy life style? would that not count in all members of HMF especially those that go on tours, that is not exactly a healthy life style

12. IMO a very good idea, if implemented properly, after all a poor, uneducated population represents an easy source of recruits for certain radical groupings, especially those of a religious variety.

13. steady on and think about that statement a bit, an unhealthy life style? would that not count in all members of HMF especially those that go on tours, that is not exactly a healthy life style[/quote]

Fair point CC, service life is unusual, and would be taken into account in any assessment. In fact, anyone in uniform, wether it be HMF or a member of the emergency services, should in my opinion, be fast-tracked for health care.
    For an example of the type of person I'm talking about, I have a friend who is a total fat knacker. He hasnt always been, but since his IT consultancy business took off about five years ago, he has been going downhill.
    He now pays someone to mow his lawn, wash his car and walk his dog. This frees up his spare time so that he can sit on his ar$e scoffing icecream and biscuits, swilling down a couple of bottles of wine and smoking 40 tabs a day.
    I'm not suggesting that everyone has to be some sort of Olympic triathelete, but so many people seem unwilling to just live a moderate lifestyle, they have to take everything to excess, and screw themselves up in the process.

14. Sorry, I'm probably missing something here.

Is this supposed to be a joke? Tongue in cheek? Irony? Y'know - like coppery, but with iron?

I really hope so. The day NGOs are capable of spending money on anything other than luxury 4x4s and all their little perks, I fully expect to see flying pigs and a pay rise that actually means something being given to the Army.

I would actually go so far as to say that as a breed, NGOs are part of the problem, not the solution. Go to Namibia and tell me it isn't so.

15. I have no qualms about money being spent overseas on worthwhile projects. For those who think it will get tied up or lost in corrupt goverments or bureaucracy it matters not; as the last time I looked the NHS was overloaded with non-jobs and the education system is ran by a liberal "elite" desperate to use the latest hippy teaching methods! £8 Billion pounds extra invested in our own health and education would probably result in £8 billion extra waste!