Gordon Banks RIP

From the days when you could name every player in your team and a few more besides. Treasured childhood memories - his save from Pele at the 1970 World Cup. RIP Mr Banks and thanks for the memories.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
A true gentleman and a great ambassador to a game which has since become a haven for whiners and cheats. Rest in peace Gordon, you served your country well.

One of the best (if not the best) saves ever. Banks and Pele:

From the days when you could name every player in your team and a few more besides. Treasured childhood memories - his save from Pele at the 1970 World Cup. RIP Mr Banks and thanks for the memories.
Likewise. A boyhood hero of mine. I wanted to be Banks every time we played football. I was 8 when the Mexico '70 world cup was on. Way before the days of video recorders etc. my mum used to make my brother and I go to bed early and wake us up in time for the England matches. I think the Brasil v England game is one of my abiding memories of that tournament and is still one of the best games i have ever seen.

Banksy, a legend for sure, not only great saves but some great street artistry to boot.

I remember as a nipper going to every Stoke home game late sixties/early 70s at the Victoria ground. Right up front behind the net and Gordon would always walk towards the younger fans and smile and wave. A great keeper and a genuinely nice guy.
Stoke in that season won some great matches against the ‘big’ boys. Terry Conroy on the wing, Banksie in goal, happy days. RIP.