Goose Shooting in Scotland

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by ugly, Oct 2, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

2. Bloody goose shooting! I think most of us up here as sick to death of the damn things. SNH are supposed to be organising a cull so we can thin the numbers down but I don’t think anyone is too optimistic about them organising it properly. Its so bad by some of the airports that they are being shot with rifles.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I often look at professional goose guides and wonder why if they are as good as they claim do they need decoys? That said is the explosion in numbers a byproduct of the sensible self imposed bag limits advocated by BASC?

4. I do not think that anyone would be stupid enough to take credit for the explosion in numbers.
    To be honest I think that the real reason is the change in migratory behaviour with the greys. With us eight years ago five pairs did not migrate north for the summer. Now we have over a thousand around us all year round. Remember they have few if any ground based natural predators on the Islands to the West of Scotland. Years ago, if geese had stayed for the summer they would have quickly ended up as guests of honour at the table. Now few dare bother them in case the fascists of wildlife preservation, SNH get involved. It is now so bad that you cannot give geese away and hundreds get dumped during the season. The damage they do to what little good grazing land we have here is ignored by SNH, RSPB, The John Muir Trust and the Government. Sooner or later we will have a goose birdstrike incident that will take down a large aircraft. Then we might see some real Government action. Until then they keep on breeding.

5. Send eggs by mail order, you'll be minted.

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Catch them when in moult, clip their wings and treat them as livestock!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  7. Be in the clink more like with that bunch of clowns responsible for wildlife management.

8. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

9. No one wants the bloody things. Also they are in lay for only a short period of time. I did think of crossing them with the Embdens to try and extend the lay.

10. I'll have a dozen eggs a week and two geese a month, where's your PayPal link?

11. Look at Bernard Matthews! Now I'll help with the business plan for a modest cut.

12. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

13. Without looking at my records, I shot several hundred last year, mostly with the big 10. I have done quite a few with the .223 and the 6.5 as well. Nothing much left when hit with a 123 g Amax. :slow:

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

They make good sausages!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk