Goose Green and Brasso

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by syledis, Aug 22, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just been reading an yachting World magazine i found onboard and there was an article where a yacht sailed around the Falklands to visit all the main areas of the conflict.

When they got to the Goose Green site and the memorial there was an old ammo tin with Brasso and a cloth in it for visitors to give it a good clean, which they duly did.

Ive never heard of this before, and, as i havent visited any memorials in out of the way places,can someone tell me if is this a common thing?

Im sure it would work in towns as well, at least i like to think it would.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. It wouldn't work in towns. One of Sinner's friends would nick the Brasso and drink it...
  3. I think the idea was tried in Richmond, N. Yorks, but the cost of replacing the Brasso on a daily basis got out of hand.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Better to lacquer the brassware. Brasso, Duraglit etc. is pretty corrosive stuff. Before long you'll be staring at a very shiny and smooth brass plate wondering what it's for.
  5. yes all the sites have brasso, visitors like to clean the plaques as did we on a battlefield tour, just a little way of maintaining the sites. They are often in hard to reach areas. There was a plaque at Pebble Island which we cleaned, Sussex Mountain, Mt Tumbledown, all the sites, Col H Jones Plaque, there was a small ammo tin at each of these sites.

Sadly at the argentine war graves they were less well kept and we cleaned it up for them, some of the locals looked after this. The Argentine authorities did not look after there war graves. Quite sad really, lots of white and blue beads, and plastic flowers. Before we left we tidied it up as much as we could for them. Lots of them kids.
    • Like Like x 8
  6. The memorial mentioned in the Falklands is dedicated to the three (I think) sappers killed in the conflict. I came across this memorial when I stayed at port Darwin. Off subject but...further along the track is a small cementary with a white piquet fence around it, the few graves in it are late 19th century era. Outside the fence are two further graves, these fella's topped themselves and were therefore not allowed to be buried in conesgrated ground. Never heard of that rule before.
  7. Naughty

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  8. I seem to recall that's right, if you top yourself you don't get to go to consecrated ground as suicide is a sin as seen by the church. Says so in the good book Don't quote me I'm a C of E never bothered god type except for the usual turn outs.

Btw I saw it in the film Kingdom of Heaven where Orlando Bloom's Doris topped her self and was berried outside the it must be true.
  9. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

similar if you aren't baptised, I was born premature and was christened in hasted while still being plugged and wired up so I could be properly composted should the need arise.

there's a lot of unmarked graves just outside churchyards where relatives thought that the closer they got to consecrated ground the more chance uncle jimmy would have of going upstairs.