Googlr Earth - Portsmouth oddity

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Bravo_Bravo, Jan 30, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If you look at Portsomouth harbour, you will see an aircraft carrier in dock, on the east side. Look due south of this and you will see, a little way below, a very odd shaped hull.

Any ideas?
  2. [​IMG]

do you mean Triton ?
  3. is it a ship?

4. RV Triton - thats the one - que?
  5. Impressed - thanks for the rapid response, guys.

6. Taken from the above mention Navy website. Somebodies living in dream world if they believe the government will pay for any of that
  7. Not sure how out of date the Navy website is......but I had dealings with a ship called The Triton about 6 months ago. I work in the oil industry now, and we used it for seismic surveying. From what I remember, it was owned by Gardline and it was the biggest trimaran in the world. Some machine!

Afterthought while I was typing this up....Here's a link to their site:
  8. [​IMG]

The very beast!!
  9. were'nt they meant to be producing a huuuge aircraft carrier version?

10. From a military standpoint, trimaran warships may be the way forward. There are two important features of the design which particularly appeal to naval architects.
    1. The outer hulls minimise the risk of either anti-shiping missiles or torpedoes penetrating the main centreline hull.
    2. The increased beam of the vessel allows you to mount your radar arrays higher, giving increased range and earlier warning.
    Other than that, the design is inherently more stable than a mono-hull, and the increased deck space lends itself to numerous applications.
  11. So what's the downside then Sandmanfez? Is it simply that they haven't gotten around to ironing out the design issues? As a sailboat sailor I always understood catamarans etc to be faster but not as capable in heavy weather?

12. Triton was sold off recently by Qinetic as the MoD had no further use for it research wise, and the Future Surface Combatant programme was binned in Nov 04 (more detials at , including more phots of various trimaran proposals). There was a proposal for it to stand in as a PB while the Castle Class had helicopter decks added but that's been binned.

I seem to recall that, perversely, it had worse sea keeping than an equivelent monohull as the sponsons had a wider arc of movement in poor weather, bad for weapons systems.