Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Google to charge for Photo Cloud storage.

What to do when Google Photos free storage ends. Tech Advisor Link

If you want to keep backing up photos and videos to Google Photos from your phone - or anywhere - you'll need to take action. Here are your options.​

It feels like Google Photos has existed a whole lot longer than the five years it’s been around. By 2019 the service had attracted over 1 billion users, meaning the recent announcement that Google is ceasing free unlimited storage will be a huge blow to, well, more than a billion people.

As of 1 June 2021, any photos or videos you upload, or which are uploaded automatically by the app, will count against your 15GB of Google storage, or however much storage you have with your Google account.

Google Photos will still work​

Technically, you don’t need to do anything when that date arrives because photos and videos you take on your phone will still be uploaded to Google Photos as normal. But that will stop when your storage is full.

This means those images will stay on your phone and won’t be backed up in the cloud. That may be ok with you, and it doesn’t mean you can’t view those photos in the Google Photos app on your phone and benefit from all the great features such as automatic tagging, the subject-based search (such as “cats” or “cars”) and the automatic creations such as animations and videos.

Aside from the fact you no longer have an online backup of your photos and videos, you won’t be able to access them in Google Photos from any other device.

I love being able to quicky find a photo in web browser version of Google Photos, but once your storage is full, the web version won’t update with new photos and videos.

How can I get more Google Photos storage?​

You can clear out large files taking up space in your Google storage. But this is only a temporary fix as that space will fill up again with photos and videos sooner or later.

And don’t forget, that free 15GB is used by Gmail and Google Drive, so you’ll need available storage if you want to keep receiving emails and creating new Google Docs or uploading files.

The company says it will launch a new tool which will help you get rid of blurry, dark and ‘unwanted’ content in Google Photos on the day unlimited free storage ends.

You’ll have received an email about the change and in it is a link to a personalised estimate of when your free storage will fill up, so it could be months or years depending upon how many photos and videos you take.

But ultimately, you’ll have to pay if you want to continue backing up to Google Photos. This isn’t as expensive as you might fear, and it's called Google One - a sort of combined storage and, now, VPN service.

Upgrading to 100GB is less than £2/$2 per month and you can have up to 2TB if you need it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personally I don't use google photo's but I know a lot of people do so a heads up is in order.

endure

GCM
Still haven't worked out how to easily get a hard copy off my printer. Google just wants control of things that don't belong to them in a sneaky way.
On a PC select the photo, go to the 3 dot menu, download then print. On Android select photo, 3 dot menu, select print.

You'll need to have a printer set up on Android first.

If you're serious about photo storage you might as well pay for something like Smugmug

Unless I'm missing something, just use a USB back up drive?

This.

This, and the drive goes in my fireproof safe.

And this.

[tinfoil hat] Why would you want an organisation, who would never, ever, ever, pander to any government requests, ever, honest guv, to be able to run all your images through facial recognition. Not that they could ever link you to people you knew, facebook, linked in, etc, etc. Who would, or could, ever come up with something outlandish like that.

Not like big bruv hasn't got form for it; the DNA by post things to check your family heritage, etc. Law enforcement, in the broadest terms, has access to it. People freely giving away their gob and spittle so that big bruv can run its algorithms on them. But, what do I know.[/tinfoil hat]

That is on top of them reeling you in to pay them.

Last edited:

DarkBrig

Old-Salt
It's all about getting you on the line then making you pay for it, just as relevant for multi nationals as your friendly neighborhood drug dealer giving the first one out for free, there will be subscriptions for google maps et al soon- how is it the old saying goes "If you're not paying for the product, you are the product"

This.

And this.

[tinfoil hat] Why would you want an organisation, who would never, ever, ever, pander to any government requests, ever, honest guv, to be able to run all your images through facial recognition. Not that they could ever link you to people you knew, facebook, linked in, etc, etc. Who would, or could, ever come up with something outlandish like that.

Not like big bruv hasn't got form for it; the DNA by post things to check your family heritage, etc. Law enforcement, in the broadest terms, has access to it. People freely giving away their gob and spittle so that big bruv can run its algorithms on them. But, what do I know.[/tinfoil hat]

That is on top of them reeling you in to pay them.
Much of that IS NOT tin foil hattery.

This why having a minimum of three browsers and a VPN installed is highly recommended. Chrome for those apps you need from Google and for sites where you don't care if you are being tracked, Firefox when you don't want to be tracked and have all your info sold, and one other like Brave or Ad-Block for Adult Research.

Much of that IS NOT tin foil hattery.

This why having a minimum of three browsers and a VPN installed is highly recommended. Chrome for those apps you need from Google and for sites where you don't care if you are being tracked, Firefox when you don't want to be tracked and have all your info sold, and one other like Brave or Ad-Block for Adult Research.

Would not touch google chrome with a 10 foot barge pole - you might just as well write up notes about everything and send them Direct to google.

I use firefox and Nord VPN, and I do wonder about firefox. Whilst it undoubtedly keeps the hoi poloi away I think the three letter acronym agencies have no problems with it - I think they bemusedly tolerate our interests in adult video and still life studies.

And, don’t get me onto phones.

Would not touch google chrome with a 10 foot barge pole - you might just as well write up notes about everything and send them Direct to google.

I use firefox and Nord VPN, and I do wonder about firefox. Whilst it undoubtedly keeps the hoi poloi away I think the three letter acronym agencies have no problems with it - I think they bemusedly tolerate our interests in adult video and still life studies.

And, don’t get me onto phones.
tbh I only use Chrome for my ca.gov stuff I don't mind a cookie or location check proving it's me.

Just seen on my phone that Google won't let me play music and my own recordings anymore and I have to transfer themto YouTube music to play them.
Can anyone explain this f#ukwittery and tell me how I can play my own stuff?

Just seen on my phone that Google won't let me play music and my own recordings anymore and I have to transfer themto YouTube music to play them.
Can anyone explain this f#ukwittery and tell me how I can play my own stuff?
Have you tried grabbing an alternate player from GPS. I switched to Audify Music Player which works for my stash.

Hmmmmm.....creepy.

Hardly. I was given the safe free gratis. Ex-Royal Ulster Constabulary stock. It's a wee thing that goes in the floor next to my gun safe.

Blogg

LE
This, and the drive goes in my fireproof safe.

Just be aware of this.

Latest Threads