Google Search Annoyance

Anyone else noticed the favicons, URLs etc that come up with Google search results? The result pages are now cluttered, messy and difficult to read. How do you get rid of them?

Google help page is no good because they want all that shit to be there. The only other suggested fix I have found involves putting a filter line in the adblocker. Tried it and it doesn't work.

DuckDuckGo

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Are you talking about these?

Search2.jpg

I quite like messing about with Google "Easter eggs" when I'm bored and killing time. The old favourites, do a barrel roll, breakout etc...

Have you seen the Friends ones? Google the characters then click on the icons:

Chandler.jpg

My favourite one though is Ross - you need the volume up.

Oh and it helps if you like Friends...

Pivot.jpg

View attachment 444230

I quite like messing about with Google "Easter eggs" when I'm bored and killing time. The old favourites, do a barrel roll, breakout etc...

View attachment 444232

View attachment 444233
Yes, the very same and also the accompanying URLs. I really don't see what purpose they serve other than to clutter things up and to make the search result list less clear. If it enhanced anything in any real way, then I'd probably be all for it

It's not the end of the world, but if there was an option to get rid of them and revert to the former plain layout, then I would much prefer that.

At one time Google was excellent, it was the go-to search engine but once it became the dominant platform it became more and more insidious.

RigPig

War Hero
Google used to be good when looking at pictures. If one took your interest it would shown the picture full screen. Now it seems to open just a small picture where you can’t see the details. I use a different browser now if I need an image heavy search.

RP

OneTenner

Old-Salt
You are the product Google sell to advertisers, they will change the search page to sell you to more advertisers, they will change the search page to entice you to click on more pages that will bring them in more advertising revenue. If you *have* to use Google, do it by a proxy such as DuckDuckGo or Startpage, don't use Gmail, don't tick the 'remember me' box on any web page - it will track & sell your internet usage forever, whichever site it is - via Google naturally (or even worse, Facebook).

View attachment 444230

View attachment 444232

View attachment 444233
Don't know what browser or whatever you guys are using but my results don't have those icons you pointed out...it looks like this...

Google.png

Niamac

GCM
I use Quant which is more European based than DuckDuck Go. Certainly not as "monetised" as Google.

Google Advanced Search is good for more complex stuff but one needs a tutorial.

I use Quant which is more European based than DuckDuck Go. Certainly not as "monetised" as Google.

Google Advanced Search is good for more complex stuff but one needs a tutorial.
DuckDuck is OK, but seems to miss out quite a few relevant sites - the sheer size and diversity of Google's search engine gives it that edge. I tried both (and Bing), but keep coming back to Google.

endure

GCM
The thing that annoys me about Google is that you can give it a 2 word search and it will ignore one of them completely

Don't know what browser or whatever you guys are using but my results don't have those icons you pointed out...it looks like this...

View attachment 444802
That's how it used to look with me and it's the way I prefer. Whatever it is, it's happening at Google's end. It's quite a new thing and it might be regional as yet. I'm sure that I found a way to switch it off a few months ago, but that option seems to have gone.

That's how it used to look with me and it's the way I prefer. Whatever it is, it's happening at Google's end. It's quite a new thing and it might be regional as yet. I'm sure that I found a way to switch it off a few months ago, but that option seems to have gone.
Figured out the issue as to why mine looks different - I mostly use Chrome with adblock plus and it seems to block out those favicons and crap.

I just tried searching with Safari and they do indeed show up.

People (who work in the IT) seem to be bitching about the redesign as well...

Have fun...looking at the comments...

Latest Threads