google earth

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by medic000, May 28, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I WAS RECENTLY VERY BORED AND DECIDED TO TAKE A LOOK AT GOOGLE EARTH TO MY AMAZEMENT I VERY EASILY FOUND QUITE DETAILED ARIEAL PHOTS OF NUMERUS CAMPS HOME AND ABROAD. HAS THIS BEEN PASSED UP THE CHAIN OR IS IT FREEDOM OF INFOMATION ACT GETTING A BIT DANGEROUS.

2. Some Governments have been vocal about this, I remember the US and Australian Governments kicking up a stink

3. While initially appearing to be very worrying, it provides less information than would be obtained from an LEC with a GPS or a disgruntled serviceman. The information isn't real-time, so while it may be useful for identifying likely ICBM targets (in which case the detail is excessive), it's of little use for a surgical strike.

Also, the detail and currency of the Google images is much less than that which is available either from military or other commercial sources. GoogleEarth just lets Joe Public get a snippet of the info available.

4. Bristol started to be redeveloped in January. The buildings are still there. Its at least that amount of time out of date, if not more.

Rab

5. Is Area 51 on google Earth.......quick scan over Nevada should do the job.

Or, what about Credenhill, home of THEM.

If its not, then theres your answer.

6. It's worth taking a look at Liverpool before the last vestige of culture is swept aside in preparation for 'City of Culture 2008'

7. can the british forces "MORAL" be found using this :?: :?: :?: :?:

8. sheldrake

sheldrake RIP

Its obviously heavily edited.

If you look at Mosul where the Presidential Palace compound is, Google says there is information from the 2003, 2004, & 2005 sweeps.

My hooch was there for all of that period and unless its hiding beneath a particularly weedy looking olive tree, it's not shown! In fact none of the camp is and the same goes for the airfield.

Obviously the editing only pertains to US camps though.

9. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Shaibah Log base looks about 2003+. When the tents went home!

10. Ummm.... As SLB didn't exist before 2003, that's a fairly astute observation.

11. Its paranoid thinking like this that is "DANGEROUS". Potentially hostile Govts have their own satellite phots. Terrorists could get the same info from an OS map and a recce with a digi camera - better yet the ubiquitous civvy cleaner. If you want detailed plans of a UK camp go down the council offices. They will have nice construction plans 1:500 from the last time a water pipe was laid. As for camps overseas - we vet the LECs how well ??

All that happens when a fuss is made about this sort of thing is that we look as sad as the conspiracy theorists. At least they get a buzz out of it.

Last course I was on some-one seriously suggested that a DB containing nothing above Restricted should be classified Secret because "all that info adds up". Right. Lets classify the BT phone book and put it on limited distribution too shall we ??

12. Area-51 is there, all right, but you can't go directly to it.
    "fly to" Rachel, NV, then manualy drag the map to a sort of rectangular-shaped dry lake to the west, and slightly south.
    It's labeled Emigrant Valley/ Groom Lake. Just look for the runways!

13. Balad is pictured as of May 2004. Two years old now.

NTM

14. Going by my street I'd say the recently introduced hi-res of Belfast is 4-5 yrs old.