Google Earth - Oooh lookee!

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Speedy, Sep 13, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The UK is slowly getting all of its' hi-res image maps in place and just out of interest I had a look at RAF Fairford, apart from the wow factor of how far it up can be viewed from, and the extent of the works undertaken there a few years back there is a nice 'X' plane on the pan. A touch of watching the watchers I think.
    I'll bet all of the UFO nuts will be drooling once Macrehanish is viewable.

2. N 30 30 09.50 E 57 41 23.42 is the arch over the main gate at Basra Palace. Haven't got the patience to find the airport.

3. Its a great tool, but hopefully I'm stating the bleedin obvious when I point out that it is not live.
    The cretins in my office are convinced that with a click of their mouse, satellites are zooming through space at their beck and call, just so that they can check to see if theres a heron worrying the fish in their garden pond. :roll:

4. Baghdad is nicely crater free.

5. If you're looking for a crater, try 057 35 04.10N, 134 39 07.63E

Probably more interesting to look at 032 09 20.06N, 110 50 25.76E - start from an altitude of about 15000ft.

6. Basrah Air Station - 30o33'39.20" N 47o40'00.47" E

It must be quite old imagery though as there is a fair bit missing on the ground compared to what was there last week.

7. There's now also a similar, very feature-heavy app provided by NASA and NOAA, at this link:

http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/

Still no Mac compatibility, though..

8. 032 09 20.06N, 110 50 25.76E on worldwind looks very different to the Google Earth image. I wonder what happened to all the planes? Surely they can't all be in Iraq.

I think I'll stick to Google Earth - it's more recent and at least you can see Saddam's yacht.

9. The aircraft at Fairford looks to be a U2.
    Google Earth's coverage of the UK must have been taken on a Sunday - if you look at North Weald airfield, NE of London, you'll see an enormous car-boot sale. The other give-away is that all of the RAF bases appear to be deserted.:twisted:

10. Happily sandhurst is completely covered in very high res...

11. Now lets see if we can get the cadets to wave at the passing satellite.