Google Earth and former BAOR barracks and training areas

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Speedy, Sep 26, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've been using Google Earth fpr quite some time now and quietly labling up former barracks in Germany, but recently there appears to be an urgent need to get things moving quickly. many barracks are now being flattened, just look at the former HQ RCZ at Dusseldorf (south of the airport) or Birdwood barracks at Bunde (gone and re-developed). These was featured up until the maps were updated a coulple of weeks ago. Would it be an idea that a forum could be setup to allow the attachment of .KMZ files (Goole Earth loaction files) so that these sites can be listed somwhere permanent and people could see their histories one last time?
    Another surprising thing i sthe hidden things that were located around BAOR. Have you seen the Patriot site souuth of Soest? I spent years living around there and never knew about it!
    Obviously opsec should play a part, but there are plenty of former sites to be viewed and discussed.
  2. What's the Lat/Long for the Patriot site?
  3. i was i werl in 1983 i think it was a Dutch Hawk site
  4. Speedy , I can create a sub-thread sticky in Military and Military History?

Possibly even a sub-thread of that, featuring sites of current and historical Military interest?
  5. Added features to Google earth the site will explain..
  6. The easiest way is to activate the Google Earth community overlays on the left hand side. This will show you all of the posts and locations posted by peopl like me. I can't give you the exact location at the mo because I'm on my laptop and don't have access to GE. Althogh it is just south od Soest and labelled as 'Mohnesee Patriot Battery', although it was most likely a Hawk site as previously stated.
  7. Excellemt idea. Will will need to be able to attach KMZ files though.