Google Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Bad CO, Apr 27, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

I'm a big fan of both dropbox and Google docs, etc so have been getting very excited about trying about Google Drive. Imagine my excitement when I got an email this morning telling me that it was ready for my account. On clicking the link I ended up with a 'Your drive is not ready' message ..... ARRSE

Anyone else had any more joy?

2. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

Got mine and it is land of milk and honey....

Seriously. It is only 2GB free which is fine for my documents and other admin stuff but for photos and music pish. That said I am using it as a backup of my dropbox account.

Not that I am paranoid about loosing data but I have Time Machine for local backup, Dropbox as my online backup and working folder for "Documents" etc (syncs nicely locally with my machine) and now Google Drive to occasionally backup that data.

I have got 3.5GB on dropbox due to referrals.

I would recommend this to anyone who already has Google account, its free so why not, but I still think relying on one "cloud" service is stupid. Use as many of the free services as you can for extra re-assurance.

Also I use iCloud and I know people don't like Apple etc but it works very well for me, specially the Photo Stream.

3. My google account seems to suggest that drive will give me 5gb of storage...

4. Try simply uploading a file to your google space, the 5GB will automagically appear.

5. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

Seems I too have 5GBs as well, just checked, winner. Cheers for that.

Will now have to re-asses if I use Google Drive as my main documents folder or stick with Dropbox.

Have just checked out the cost of increasing to 25GB at around £20ish a year. That might be an option for full online backup as well as Time Machine.

6. Tchah, you youngsters...

Actually, it's lucky I checked before posting this. MS Skydrive is fee and had 25 GB of free storage, this has now been revised down to 7 GB unless you're a previous user(preen) when a button click ensures the 25GB remains as free.
    Note that £6.00 pa adds 20GB of storage to your free drive.

This has been a PSA.

That is all.

7. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

In an exciting update whatever caused the glitch has cleared and I'm now in! Looking good already although I'd be very worried if I was Dropbox ......

8. Knowing Google, what is their privacy policy on your info that they are storing for you?

• Like Like x 1

9. PA, knowing how poor your IT skills are, I thought you might appreciate this.:)

Your Google Drive Files Can End Up in Ads | Cloudline | Wired.com

Seems that the Privacy policy is not too bad, as long as you restrict who can view your Docs.

Shiny

10. I know quite a lot about Google, and I find them to be dodgy as **** with regards to what they do with the information that they "mine." I certainly won't be using Google Drive.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Agreed, they do seem keen to build a complete Internet profile of their users, only beneficial to those trying to target their merchandising.

Shiny

12. However, I have managed to get my hands on a very gucci in-house suite of tools that are used for various things :)

Who needs wireless hotspots!

• Like Like x 1
  13. I have never used my Skydrive but I have had a Hotmail account for some years. Just clicked on Skydrive and was offered the free upgrade to 25GB.
    I never thought I would hear myself say this but I would rather trust Microsoft with my information than Google.

14. OK, so I got the email telling me mine is ready, but it doesn't actually seem to do anything! Just the same Google Docs as before, but with a different URL.

15. OK, made it work now - had to find https://tools.google.com/dlpage/drive to download the software.

Pretty good - just creates a file on your PC and syncs with google docs (including stuff that's already on there)