Google Chrome - unresponive and slow

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Auld-Yin, Mar 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I know there are lots of threads about Chrome but none for a while so I thought I would start another.

Chrome used to be excellent, fast and reliable. now it is slow, unresponsive and kicks pages out for no reason. Are there issues that anyone knows about?

I am on version: 10.0.648.205 - is this the latest or am I working with prehistoric software?

Many may come on here and recommend FireFox or other programmes, which is fine, but I would rather get Chrome back to the fast responsive browser it used to be, so suggestions on how to go about this are welcome.

Mind you, I have no issues about dumping Chrome if its standards have dropped and there is better out there - just don't want the hassle of reloading bookmarks etc.

2. Chrome works fine for my three computers,I use BT WIFI and don't have any probs,IE is very slow and clunky...

3. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

I'm on 17.0.963.79 version so that might be the issue. Mine is its normal fast self.

4. Pre-historic! I'm on 17.0.963.79...

However, I have had occasional problems recently with slowness to load, loading on a second submit (click or re-send the URL) and not found/DNS errors - so there may be something lurking. (I use Google's DNS servers as well).

5. No issues with it here, its faster and less bloated than Firefox, and leagues ahead of IE.

Apart from being several versions out of date, are you running Skype? The skype toolbar and plug-in has serious issues with Chrome.

I run very, very few apps in-browser. Chrome is still lightning fast.

6. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

There is a message on the Chrome About page saying "Update server not available (error 3)"

Any ideas?

I will try to see if I can get an update loaded.

7. I dumped a later version of Google Chrome when Google decided to share customer info, **** 'em.

I use Opera in it's place and find it faster and better in every way. Opera also has a Turbo mode for slow sites.

8. Server is working fine here. Open Chrome, click the tool icon (top right) then "About Google Chrome". It should check for an update

9. That is out of date. I recently dumped 18.0.1025.109 for Opera. :)

10. According to Google latest version is 17.0.963.79 m...

re earlier post about dns issues, are your DNS servers set to 8.8.8.8 in everything, and have checked that DNS resolution is using these, and not being diverted elsewhere (use nslookup to do this, it shows what is being used for resolution)

11. I still have mine. Just don't use it now......... 18.0.1025.109 beta-m

12. Not latest, beta :)

13. As I said, I don't use now. But according to this it is.

[h=3]Beta Channel Update[/h]Saturday, March 17, 2012 | 08:44Labels: Beta updates
    The Beta channel has been updated to 18.0.1025.109 for Windows, Mac, and Chrome Frame.

This release changes to V8 back version 3.8. Full details about what changes are in this build are available in the SVN revision log. Interested in switching to the Beta channel? Find out how. If you find a new issue, please let us know by filing a bug.

Karen Grunberg
    Google Chrome

14. Knowing about software quite extensively I think I know a thing or 2 about client (what a web browser is) to a web sever that's when you get a computer delivering web pages (merely html documents with either XML XHTML or plain HTML).

Anyways it could be from either your client software that something is accessing a link libarary (if you are using Windows the death as to why Microsoft are pretty useless when it comes to developing OS's in any regard, their worst concept was DLL files), could be anything from that level to the actual transmission of your request to the server you are connecting to.

Could also be a configuration glitch with your OS too, it's like looking for a needle in a haystack, have you tried another browser? If everythings working fine try doing the remedial things like clearing your cache ( always set my browser to checking a pages content for changes before going to the cache to get the locally stored one some people leave it as default or whatever) which commonly means the browser has to search through the old cache and there might be a high load on your computers processing thats restricting Chrome's responsiveness.

Cache's arent really that hard to understand to be fair, their just a simple indexed database of information a browser is supposed to be quick at responding to, if all your existing processes are on high load allot of client requests are back logged on your OS because your OS prioritises it's own processes shifting all user actions (most to the back of the queue unfortunately).

Then of course could be a bug, it's honestly like even with beta testers like looking for a needle in a haystack, but beta mode software is a usually good indication that there's allot more developing work to be done on that particular browser.

15. HHH

HHH LE

You can import (or export) your bookmarks from one browser to another to save you reloading. You will find the option in the bookmarks tab of whatever browser you use.
    You then can have as many browsers as you like with all your bookmarks the same in each.