Google Chrome and the ARRSE Toolbar

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Kalle_M, Jan 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anybody give me a bit of a leg-up with this one? I recently installed Google Chrome on my machine and then the ARRSE toolbar. But it's missing the weather bit and also the e-mail function. I tried deleting it and re-installing it twice, but it's still diffy the above functions. What am I doing wrong? Anybody got any ideas?

MsG

2. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

I'm don't think the Arrse toolbar has been functional since earlier versions of FireFox. Not aware of it being available for Chrome; where did you install it from?

3. Dear Sixty,

I'm using it on the latest version of Firefox and it works fine. I installed it from the "ARRSE toolbar" website, where it actually states that it's for Firefox and Chrome. I just can't get it to work properly on Chrome and I was wondering if there's some special little trick I might have to perform.

MsG

4. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Well bugger me! Didn't know there was a toolbar site (just Googled it)

As far as I'm aware, it used to be scripted by BFG rather than the COs and while it wasn't an 'offical' Arrse offering, it worked on IE or FF but it might be worth posting this in Site Issues to check.

5. not having played with chrome since its beta days i might be wrong but i believe theres bits in settings and advanced that you need ot change for full functionality where addons are concerned

6. Thanks for your reply, nanotm. I don't suppose you know how to adjust the setting, do you? Or alternatively, do you know where I can get some advice or more info on the subject. I'm a total zonk at this IT caper, so any further help would be very much appreciated.

MsG

7. rather bizzarly the answer is google.... they have pages deicated ot the tweaking of chrome although you might need a gmail account to make best use of it

8. Thanks for that, nanotm. I'll give it a cabby and see what I can find. I hope it's not something too complicated.

MsG

9. You certainly are if you're trying to install toolbars into your browser. Just don't, OK? Unless you particularly want to end up back in here blubbing about how all the nasty viruses and browser hijackers have taken over your PC.

10. thats one of the first things the personalising and installing browser toolbars page tells people XD

11. Also, your browser window rapidly ends up looking like this:

[​IMG]

Edited to add: Managed to download/install from Download Toolbar but like you, no sign of e-mail or weather, though there is a link to the PM function.

Don't think I'll be keeping it.

• Like Like x 2
  12. **** me, dogmeat! You've got me a bit worried now. It's precisely because I'm such an IT-zonk that I'm dependent on folks like yourself who know much more about the subject.

I've had the ARRSE toolbar on my Firefox browser for yonks and never had any trouble with it being hijacked or such. Is there any chance you could clue me up on the dangers? I'd understand it, though, if you can't be arsed.

MsG

13. generally tspeaking if you get a verified browser (that means its got hte chrome or mozila seal of aproval) then so long as you have upto date browser security addons there shouldnt be too much of a problem, the best way to ensure the safety in terms of the addons is getting them from in chomes case the google marketplace, in ff's case i'm not sure mozilla used ot run a verfied addons download site but its somethign i havent used in yonks

anyway read the chome user guid pages and you should learn a bit specifically the security pages and how to maximise secure browsing through user based settings

14. But you didn't.

15. true but then most peole dont listen and think you just being over dramatic, which is probably why most people end up getting hacked in some way shape or form, they still dont listen afterwards either just blame it on a music download or something from itunes that slipped through there checking net and apeared in the news dispite never having downloaded it....