Google Adverts

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Whiskybreath, Jan 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hacked off mildly. It seems that whenever the word "man" is used in a thread, the Google machine gets a hard-on and spews up an advert for Gay Military Dating (it's bound to be at the er, bottom of this page now).

I fully appreciate the point of the system which places the things on my screen, and the necessity for it, but I find these particular adverts highly offensive. Is there any way of blocking them selectively?

2. I got a link to the lovely http://www.kathywest.com/

3. I got an RM advert.

4. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

It must know you like those sort of ads :D

Google analyses the content of the page and serves up ads the system thinks meet that, don't click em

5. The old double bluff isn't going to cut it with us Whisky Breath !

6. I've asked about this before too, and it's starting to get annoying now.

"What are you looking at Dad, Gay Military Dating???" Cue very strange looks from my son.

7. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Tartan_Terrier, assuming that your sun is old enough to know what gay is, wouldn't a good solution be to say to your son "no son, it's just an annoying internet ad"?

And Whiskey Breath, frankly if you get offended by the word 'gay' and some awful looking smiling yank model staring at you, then I think you're probably on the wrong site and I certainly wouldn't recommend most of the rest of the internet.

Personally I think they're quite funny, they've cause conversation before (light hearted) which is a better contribution to ARRSE than most Google ads, and I'd rather use up the advertising budget of gay military dating than, for example, evil loan company that I tried to get rid of last week.

That said, it may be that they're US only (although the advertiser should choose which countries to target). If one of you would care to investigate and report back that the gay dating is either of a poor standard or you can't get your... desired result... in the correct country then do let me know.

Sympathy? Not much in this case, sorry.

8. OK, I'll give it a go, but if I don't get a shag within the next fortnight from an HIV positive Private with doe-eyes and his own handcuffs I'm complaining again.

9. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Amusingly - on a thread largely dealing with gay military dating I get a google ad inviting me to join the Royal Marines!