Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goods deliveries from Chinese suppliers

Forgive me if this is in the wrong forum but I am not quite sure where would be best to place it. I know many posters here are active modellers, gadget tinkerers and car restorers and as such they order lots of bits and bobs from Chinese suppliers, and it is they who I am asking rather than people in commercial businesses who deal with major Chinese wholesale businesses.

I am currently based in Asia and ordering from Amazon, while efficient and reliable, is eye-wateringly expensive, with postage costs often adding an extra 100-150% on top of the base price.

I am in the process of starting to buy stuff for the kids for birthdays and Christmas, as I can see that going to malls for leisurely shopping expeditions will be out of the question for a while, not that there ever is much stuff in the malls here anyway. Furthermore given the circumstances of this year, we, like most people, are facing a bit of an austere Christmas this year, it'll be mostly clothes, PC games, and stuff for the older kids and cheap knock-off Lego and Barbies for the younger ones. And this is where Ali Baba comes in, or more specifically AliExpress, it's a cornucopia of cheap tat and the postage costs are a fraction of Amazon's.

I have ordered a load of stuff over the past couple of weeks but as yet none of it has arrived, Amazon usually arrives in 10 to 15 days. It only amounts to a couple of hundred quid and if none of it ever arrived it wouldn't be the end of the world, but there is a nice looking laptop and a few other things I have my eye on that if I was sure of the sellers' reliability I would like to order.

So my question is simple, how has your experience been in the past with ordering stuff from individual Chinese suppliers? Do they deliver the goods or are most of them scam artists? These sellers are on Ali Baba so I presume they must be vetted somehow. How long, on average, does it take for goods that are ordered to arrive from China?

Forgive me if this is in the wrong forum but I am not quite sure where would be best to place it. I know many posters here are active modellers, gadget tinkerers and car restorers and as such they order lots of bits and bobs from Chinese suppliers, and it is they who I am asking rather than people in commercial businesses who deal with major Chinese wholesale businesses.

I am currently based in Asia and ordering from Amazon, while efficient and reliable, is eye-wateringly expensive, with postage costs often adding an extra 100-150% on top of the base price.

I am in the process of starting to buy stuff for the kids for birthdays and Christmas, as I can see that going to malls for leisurely shopping expeditions will be out of the question for a while, not that there ever is much stuff in the malls here anyway. Furthermore given the circumstances of this year, we, like most people, are facing a bit of an austere Christmas this year, it'll be mostly clothes, PC games, and stuff for the older kids and cheap knock-off Lego and Barbies for the younger ones. And this is where Ali Baba comes in, or more specifically AliExpress, it's a cornucopia of cheap tat and the postage costs are a fraction of Amazon's.

I have ordered a load of stuff over the past couple of weeks but as yet none of it has arrived, Amazon usually arrives in 10 to 15 days. It only amounts to a couple of hundred quid and if none of it ever arrived it wouldn't be the end of the world, but there is a nice looking laptop and a few other things I have my eye on that if I was sure of the sellers' reliability I would like to order.

So my question is simple, how has your experience been in the past with ordering stuff from individual Chinese suppliers? Do they deliver the goods or are most of them scam artists? These sellers are on Ali Baba so I presume they must be vetted somehow. How long, on average, does it take for goods that are ordered to arrive from China?
I am still waiting for small engine parts l ordered in May to arrive, the old saying- taking a slow boat from China- isn’t an exaggeration in many cases, it’s how many actually ship to save money.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
I have had a dozen or so orders via Joom in the last couple of years. Delivery is around 10 to 14 days (sometimes faster) and the quality is reasonable if you keep away from the really cheap stuff that costs pennies. Best item was a rechargable flashlight with different settings; no worst item although some men's hankies were a touch on the thin side. Never had a non-arrival.

I am still waiting for small engine parts l ordered in May to arrive, the old saying- taking a slow boat from China- isn’t an exaggeration in many cases, it’s how many actually ship to save money.
Yeah thanks, the absurdly cheap postage costs should obviously be a big indicator. Mind you I got a book from Amazon last week that I had completely forgotten about ordering, which it turns out I ordered in November last year, in fairness though the local postal system may have been at fault there.

So other than the part you ordered in May, overall how has your experience been with Chinese suppliers, or is that the only thing you have ordered?

'When my ship comes in’ was a common phrase used in past times. Seems it may come back into fashion, although possibly changed to...’If my ship comes in.'

Apology Mike not much help.

I always thought that the sellers/manufacturers waited until they had enough orders then made batches rather than having stock to hand.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
never had any issues with aliexpress and the like, but the last time I ordered anything particularly expensive (a £100-ish set of iem's) I got them shipped via DHL tracked. took a few weeks, but no issues and no going astray.

Yeah thanks, the absurdly cheap postage costs should obviously be a big indicator. Mind you I got a book from Amazon last week that I had completely forgotten about ordering, which it turns out I ordered in November last year, in fairness though the local postal system may have been at fault there.

So other than the part you ordered in May, overall how has your experience been with Chinese suppliers, or is that the only thing you have ordered?
The majority of aftermarket small engine parts and antique tractor parts are made in China these days, I’ve been ordering them for years. They’re decent quality, but always slow shipping unless l pay a premium which could double or triple the parts cost. I always anticipate the snails pace so order far in advance, the parts from the May order are for a winter project, extremely cheap or free shipping generally leads to extremely slow. Mind you I’m in the middle of Canada and they generally come through BC ports so that adds time as well.

Edit; I order directly from parts houses, not off Aliexpress.

Last edited:

Oily101

Clanker
Only recently started to using Aliexpress.
Items ordered in May are still coming through but orders placed since then have arrived.
I also made a few claims for goods not arriving and awaiting refunds.
All in all it's worth it if you can wait for the slow delivery and a lot of the products are the same as you will get locally and not knock offs.

Ordering things from China had delays earlier in the year, unsurprisingly, but is now back to about a fortnight from order to delivery.
You can specify airmail, at a cost, but unless you need it tomorrow why bother?
In years of ordering stuff online I've only had one item not turn up, and when queried the seller provided a replacement at no extra cost.

More broadly, China delivers, usually within a month but often quicker, Russia is, I'm told, having problems shipping airmail, due to a lack of flights, while the US postal service is absolutely dire, still waiting for something posted 3 months ago.

My experience has been 10-14 days...... up until C18 stopped most passenger flights. Since then the delivery dates quoted on eBay by Chinese suppliers has gone from a few weeks to a couple of months or more. I ordered a couple of Lithium batteries to replace a duff one in a dashcam on 15/08. Chinapost tracked them through China and they made it to the airport by 07/09 and have been in transit since, due 26/10 approx. I guess they have to wait their turn on freighters.

endure

GCM
I've been ordering from Aliexpress for years and on the very rare occasions (1 maybe 2) that stuff hasn't turned up you just report it to Aliexpress and they refund you.

I've had one occasion where I ordered stuff in August and the latest delivery date passed by so Aliexpress refunded me.

The gear I'd ordered turned up the following February so I got in touch with the seller who asked me to place another order which they didn't ship so I (eventually) got my kit and they got their money.

My experience has been 10-14 days...... up until C18 stopped most passenger flights. Since then the delivery dates quoted on eBay by Chinese suppliers has gone from a few weeks to a couple of months or more. I ordered a couple of Lithium batteries to replace a duff one in a dashcam on 15/08. Chinapost tracked them through China and they made it to the airport by 07/09 and have been in transit since, due 26/10 approx. I guess they have to wait their turn on freighters.
Thank you, that's another thing I notice, tracking the goods you see them all faithfully leaving the supplier within a day or so, then going to the shipping company where most of them seem now to be sitting in hibernation, I presume in a month or two, I should start seeing them make further progress.

Perhaps we'll put Christmas back to February this year to ensure Santa actually arrives from Wuhan or wherever he is these days. I might just buy the laptop locally as I will be needing it in a few weeks' time.

If Hong Kong is anything to go by then post is very slow indeed. 6-8 weeks to receive stuff from the UK.

endure

GCM
Just had a look at my last order with them. Ordered on the 8th August - arrived on the 18Th. That's to the UK.

I now get all my modelling gear from China / Taiwan it's basically the same stuff you buy here , but at a much lower price.
For my RC planes I use micro servos ( my planes are not super scale , jet powered expensive ,sell a kidney to afford sort of shit so I don't buy super high price digital servos with metal gearing, mine get used , if they fuck up or start chattering I usually strip out the gears and cut off the cable to use when I need extensions) buy bulk , 10 for £11 is about average, motor connectors (2mm gold connectors) 2 for £4 UK same ones 20 pairs for £4 China , leads and Y leads at least 1/4 price, if you are a modeller , keep ahead with your spares and equipment , just in time works ok for the auto industry ,but it doesn't if you are building models, it slows your building right down , waiting two weeks for bits to arrive
Brushless motors and speed controllers...stupid prices in local model shops 30 amp ESCs not uncommon to be about £15 , I get the same ESCs, 4 for £12 on Ebay
recently bought my first all foam airplane from Banggood, kit cost £35 p&p £15( not bad, the equivalent parcel sent UK to UK would cost about £8 ) and surprisingly decent quality, just research the items before you buy

I replaced a modellers micrometer with an identical looking Chinese one.
Took 30 days to arrive (which was sort of suggested TBF) - complete rubbish, wouldn't even zero.
Had some other stuff, pirated game and each was refunded due to eBay probably. However after leaving merely neutral rating I was besieged with dialogue requesting it be changed - from a seller with >14K sales!
I notice some show a London address but are obviously Chinese run.
They can do stuff right I'm sure.
But can't be relied on.

[...] from Chinese suppliers [...]

Just go to the supplies cupboard?

Oh come on, its the NAFFI, I'm surplised it took this long.

I ordered a skeg for my kayak from a dealer on Amazon. The postage was cheap but it took a long time. Ordered in May and the forecast delivery was July. It did arrive sooner than that thankfully .

RP.

Latest Threads