GOODNIGHT TOM Captain Sir Tom Moore dead aged 100 – Hero who raised millions for NHS dies in hospital after Covid battle

Eyes_Right

Clanker
There is certainly something wrong for a Church of England Clergyman to say that, let alone the racist negative connotation to his words, but he has apologised... I've known radio and tv presenters get sacked for less. Surely the CofE boffins should be following this up?

When the country appears to be having some kind of masturbatory-like mass hysteria over the good Captain, a sure way to make the headlines is to say something completely contradictory and as outrageous as your tiny pea-brain can dream up. This idiot (the Clergy) should be ignored, but sadly that's not a thing in our click-bait age. Capt Moore did some good stuff, got recognized, and then died at 100. It's a good innings, but quite why we've gone to SAPCON 4 over it all is beyond me.

I respect captain Tom as much as the next man. But there are or were many thousands of other word war veterans who died lonely in care homes or who lived in tower blocks, forgotten about.
I think he was lucky he had a middle class family with a few bob who made his final years comfortable. His daughter somehow managed to raise his profile that catapulted him into the media, far far bigger than they ever imagined.
Even so, the man was a force for good whatever way you look at it. He may have been 100, but it’s still a sad loss for our nation, in my opinion.

Yokel

LE
I think the point is that he acted as a representative for that generation, and also showed that individuals can achieve good. So what if his fundraising efforts attracted the public imagination in a way others did not?

He also raised the profile of remembrance events.

It’s often said that his generation were special in terms of a sense of duty,
No matter what the person risk.
I do wonder if the youth of today would answer the call of duty in the same way, of course I hope we never have to find out.
I served my country as a volunteer, would I answer the call if I had to?
I’d like to think I would if it ever came to it,although I think they would do perfectly well without me getting in the way !

Yokel

LE
Tributes paid by Sir Captain Tom Moore's family at funeral - BBC

Tributes have been paid to Captain Sir Tom Moore by his family at his funeral.

Hannah Ingram-Moore described her father as "a beacon of light and hope to the world".

His other daughter Lucy Teixeira said: "Daddy, I am so proud of you. You may be gone but your message and your spirit lives on."

The service for the 100-year-old, who raised almost £33m for NHS charities by walking laps of his garden, began with him being honoured by the military.

Six Yorkshire Regiment members carried the Army veteran's coffin, draped in the union jack, and an honour guard fired three volleys.

I was on my facebook page earlier and saw something on there about Capt Sir Toms funeral so I clicked on it and found myself watching his service in the crematorium.

I decided to stay and send a message as a mark of respect and I watched the service until the family left.

I have to say there are not many people who I would bother to spend the time doing that but I feel that this man put some heart in the nation at a time of immense difficulty for so many and I felt the least I could do was give back a small amount of my time to mark his leaving us all.

There are of course probably many Sir Tom’s if we caste our gaze around our surroundings and I hope his example might perhaps remind at least some people that it isn’t just about them when it comes to living together in difficult circumstances.

Rest in Peace Capt. Sir Tom.

When the country appears to be having some kind of masturbatory-like mass hysteria over the good Captain, a sure way to make the headlines is to say something completely contradictory and as outrageous as your tiny pea-brain can dream up. This idiot (the Clergy) should be ignored, but sadly that's not a thing in our click-bait age. Capt Moore did some good stuff, got recognized, and then died at 100. It's a good innings, but quite why we've gone to SAPCON 4 over it all is beyond me.

If you think this is bad, wait until Phil the Greek pops his clogs. It will the Tsar Bomba of Grief Whoring. I fully intend to read no papers and only watch Netflix and Disney+ for at least a month after the poor chap passes on.

Friends of ours living in Lincolnshire spoke of a Dakota low level flypast, apparently in tribute to the old boy.

They were mightily impressed by the sight, but particularly the sound.

Tributes paid by Sir Captain Tom Moore's family at funeral - BBC

Tributes have been paid to Captain Sir Tom Moore by his family at his funeral.

Hannah Ingram-Moore described her father as "a beacon of light and hope to the world".

His other daughter Lucy Teixeira said: "Daddy, I am so proud of you. You may be gone but your message and your spirit lives on."

The service for the 100-year-old, who raised almost £33m for NHS charities by walking laps of his garden, began with him being honoured by the military.

Six Yorkshire Regiment members carried the Army veteran's coffin, draped in the union jack, and an honour guard fired three volleys.
I can’t imagine why the quoted post merited a 'dumb' rating. It appears to be factual rather than fanciful and actually quoted verbatim from Aunty’s news site.

RIP Sir Tom Moore.

Me too, who was the lone bloke sat about two rows back from the family?
Funeral director I believe.

I personally believe it should've been a private service but the media whorefest lapped it up.

Yokel

LE
I can’t imagine why the quoted post merited a 'dumb' rating. It appears to be factual rather than fanciful and actually quoted verbatim from Aunty’s news site.

RIP Sir Tom Moore.

Yes. I quoted it and provided a link as I thought Sir Tom deserved to be recognised. I also thought that the pallbearers and firing party from The Yorkshire Regiment were dignified and appropriate.

Earlier on the thread I did say that I thought a low key military presence would be right and proper.

If you think this is bad, wait until Phil the Greek pops his clogs. It will the Tsar Bomba of Grief Whoring. I fully intend to read no papers and only watch Netflix and Disney+ for at least a month after the poor chap passes on.
I bloody hope not. He deserves dignity and some proper remembrance. The fecker may be Greek, but he has been our Queen's Consort, and a bloody good one, for longer than most people have been on Earth.
And, I understand, he doesn't give much of a fck for anyone's infantile opinions. One of the best of men.

I bloody hope not. He deserves dignity and some proper remembrance. The fecker may be Greek, but he has been our Queen's Consort, and a bloody good one, for longer than most people have been on Earth.
And, I understand, he doesn't give much of a fck for anyone's infantile opinions. One of the best of men.

I have a soft spot for the old chap myself. In no small part due to the previously alluded to lack of fcuks he gives about what anyone(apart from Liz herself)thinks. I will be genuinely sorry when he goes, and will probably toast his memory with a dram or three.

However, my point stands. Expect saturation grief whoring to a level not seen since Diana took it up the underpass. I refuse to participate in an outpouring of crass sentimentality that, ironically, would probably nauseate the Duke himself if he was able to witness it.

Chef

LE
I have a soft spot for the old chap myself. In no small part due to the previously alluded to lack of fcuks he gives about what anyone(apart from Liz herself)thinks. I will be genuinely sorry when he goes, and will probably toast his memory with a dram or three.

However, my point stands. Expect saturation grief whoring to a level not seen since Diana took it up the underpass. I refuse to participate in an outpouring of crass sentimentality that, ironically, would probably nauseate the Duke himself if he was able to witness it.
I'm not so sure. Phil the Greek has been a bit un PC over the years. What a golden opportunity for the anti royalists and republicans to attack the institution and HMQ indirectly. Imagine what HIGNFY and some of the BBC's radio comedies will make of it.

I hope not but I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm not so sure. Phil the Greek has been a bit un PC over the years. What a golden opportunity for the anti royalists and republicans to attack the institution and HMQ indirectly. Imagine what HIGNFY and some of the BBC's radio comedies will make of it.

Nobody who matters in this universe cares what minds in that other universe think, or whatever the possible equivalent process could be. It's what we think and believe that matters. The Duke, I suspect, knows this.

Prince Phillip was born in Greece and immigrated to the UK. If you see anyone criticising him be sure to give them a good telling off for their far right anti-immigrant racism.