Goode back at Fly-Half

#1
I'm so happy about this England team. The form openside, Steffon Armitage has been selected, the form Tight-Head, Julian White is on the bench, and we now have a half-decent 10 playing for us, rather than the media-hyped Cipriani or the defensively lacking Hodgson.

Best chance we have of winning the 6 Nations for years.
 
#2
On the basis of what results do you make that deduction?

I agree that Cipriani is a good omission but until the England team starts playing with more heart and a lot more ambition, I can't see you getting above mid table. A few new names isn't going to change the dreadful tactics seen in the autumn internationals.

Getting rid of Johnson now might help.
 
#3
I'm guessing that with Johnston at the helm the Italians must really fancy their chances for Saturday.
 
#6
Regardless of Johnsons faults, and I agree that they are many, he's picking the team based on form. The inclusion of Cueto, Armitage, White and Goode shows this. As well as that, the U20's and Saxons teams are choc-a-block with talent, and show a lot of promise for development.

However, we are in the shit as far as quality #10's are concerned.
 
#7
Praetorian said:
Regardless of Johnsons faults, and I agree that they are many, he's picking the team based on form.
15 superstars do not a team make, that's the coach's job. Johnston seems to be running England like premiership manager who genuinely believes that the team with the biggest wage bill will prevail.
 
#8
GoodIdeaAtTheTime said:
I'm guessing that with Johnston at the helm the Italians must really fancy their chances for Saturday.
The Italians have been getting better every year so you could be right.Lets hope not though :wink:
 
#9
TheBFG said:
GoodIdeaAtTheTime said:
I'm guessing that with Johnston at the helm the Italians must really fancy their chances for Saturday.
The Italians have been getting better every year so you could be right.Lets hope not though :wink:

The Italians have a pack that is the equal of any pack in Europe, possibly the World. A match against Argentina would be very interesting.

However, they have no #10, and no stand out stars among the backs. Their best back is probably Marcato, with Masi as a good crash ball centre. They've lost their way since the age of Dominguez.
 
#10
Strange how MJ released London Irish players last week and kept hold of Gloucester players only to select the LI players and drop the Glaws players the Brian Smith influence I suppose.Still did the Not-Nots in the GP.

Fatty Clappy-Hands Goode at stand-off!!!!

Where is the sense? Surely you would look to use one of your up and coming players against Italy??

Why hasn't he given Geraghty a start.....how are we going to progress??
 
#11
Johno's got a cunning plan. Cipriani needed a kick up the backside (he was starting to believe the media hype)
Putting him in the Saxon's for a week will let him know who's in charge of team selection.
Plus MJ knows Goode well from their Liecester days. I think England are getting a verbal shoeing from Johnno at the moment and I wouldn't be surprised if the Italians get well beaten.
Also Cipriani will be back for the Wales game IMHO with a point to prove.
 
#12
hope Goode has got over his nerves and can play his welford road standard game at an international level.
Having seen him kick 9 for 9 when tigers put nearly 140 points over newcastle in 2 games, he didn't seem to perform with the same flair when called up to england.

good luck to him and the team, and I hope Johnson can bring the same magic he brought to tigers, but leading from the touch line this time.
 
#13
As an avid viewer of the TOP 14, throught honestly-its-legal means, Goode has been doing very well!
 
#14
Praetorian said:
I'm so happy about this England team. The form openside, Steffon Armitage has been selected, the form Tight-Head, Julian White is on the bench, and we now have a half-decent 10 playing for us, rather than the media-hyped Cipriani or the defensively lacking Hodgson.

Best chance we have of winning the 6 Nations for years.
You're a leicester fan aint you?

White was forced upon him thank to Matt Stevens little msidemeanour.

Steffon Armitage deserves his shot, although I wouldnt have minded seeing him gain a bit of experience in the Saxons first. But as we saw with his brother some people handle the pressure very well.

As for form fly halfs, Why Goode? He's past it, by selecting Goode Johnson has pretty much dictated our game plan, stick it up the jumper then boot over the top. The style of game that England play very well and everyone complains about (to the level of the Southern hemisphere calling for the ELV's to stop it). If he truly wants england to play running rugby then he should be looking at the likes of Geraghty or dare I say it, the form fly half in the guinness premiership and best distributor of the ball we've got, Charlie Hodgson.

Or we could just do what we do every other time we get into a bit of trouble and Thaw Mike Catt out. I move that I personally would positively back.
 
#15
Thebull140 said:
Praetorian said:
I'm so happy about this England team. The form openside, Steffon Armitage has been selected, the form Tight-Head, Julian White is on the bench, and we now have a half-decent 10 playing for us, rather than the media-hyped Cipriani or the defensively lacking Hodgson.

Best chance we have of winning the 6 Nations for years.
You're a leicester fan aint you?

White was forced upon him thank to Matt Stevens little msidemeanour.
Am I fuck. I'm certainly not a Tigers fan!

True, White is only in the side due to Steven's misdemeanor, but he's still a better prop at the end of the day. You as a fellow Prop know that just as well as me Bully!

Hodgson can't get a back line firing properly that includes Luke McAllister. He may be the "Form" 10, but his tackling is shite. Goode is the top scorer in the Top 14, has reached 1000 points in the GP etc etc. Goode is the right choice for the moment, IMHO for the tournamant. Cipriani needs to be made to work for the jersey, then he may reach his best.

Till then, my prediction is Stephen Myler. Watch this space.
 
#16
Praetorian said:
Thebull140 said:
Praetorian said:
I'm so happy about this England team. The form openside, Steffon Armitage has been selected, the form Tight-Head, Julian White is on the bench, and we now have a half-decent 10 playing for us, rather than the media-hyped Cipriani or the defensively lacking Hodgson.

Best chance we have of winning the 6 Nations for years.
You're a leicester fan aint you?

White was forced upon him thank to Matt Stevens little msidemeanour.
Am I fuck. I'm certainly not a Tigers fan!

True, White is only in the side due to Steven's misdemeanor, but he's still a better prop at the end of the day. You as a fellow Prop know that just as well as me Bully!

Hodgson can't get a back line firing properly that includes Luke McAllister. He may be the "Form" 10, but his tackling is shite. Goode is the top scorer in the Top 14, has reached 1000 points in the GP etc etc. Goode is the right choice for the moment, IMHO for the tournamant. Cipriani needs to be made to work for the jersey, then he may reach his best.

Till then, my prediction is Stephen Myler. Watch this space.
Ah yes but Sale solved his tackeling problem, you get him the **** out of the defensive line. :lol:

I do think it's important to base your international team around a GP team and to be honest if you want a good back line that team should be London Irish. Therefore the man for the job is Shane Geraghty.

I do have to disagree with you on the Stevens/White debarcle.. If Stevens
evens wasnt off sticking talc up his nose he is by far a better all round forward the Julian White. Yes White is a much better attacking scrummager and can make the opposing looseheads life hell Matt Stevens would have made a much better impact all round the pitch. Him and Sheridan would be a front row to reckon with.

But alas that aint gonna happen although i think we may be the only people on the nternet discussing this fact as Matt Stevens no longer exists.

Andy Goode may be a points scorer but he kicks away a lot of possesion and his distribution is pants. He scored a lot of points for the old Leicester side who played a certain style of rugby that worked very well until it stopped working when that happened they got rid of him. Unfortunately England cant play that style of rugby anymore and seem to be in Limbo of what style to play. They need a decision maker on the pitch, well one who's got more in the bank than boot it or dish out a bad pass.
 
#17
Goode has been doing really well in France mate, his Rugby has got a lot better from what I've caught on the internet.

Btw, anybody though about Steve Thompson? Still only 30 and is playing as good as he ever was at Brive!
 
#18
Praetorian said:
Goode has been doing really well in France mate, his Rugby has got a lot better from what I've caught on the internet.

Btw, anybody though about Steve Thompson? Still only 30 and is playing as good as he ever was at Brive!
How as a fellow prop can you support a player whose main tactic is booting the ball really far upfield. You know it's us poor buggers who have to chase that up and down all afternoon. It is not a style of Rugby that should be encouraged. Everyone knows the best style involves lots and lots of rucking and mauling and crash balls and not giving it to the girls in the backs to drop.

Has steve Thompsons game improved enough that he can throw a straight lineout ball yet?
 
#19
Praetorian said:
I'm so happy about this England team. The form openside, Steffon Armitage has been selected, the form Tight-Head, Julian White is on the bench, and we now have a half-decent 10 playing for us, rather than the media-hyped Cipriani or the defensively lacking Hodgson.

Best chance we have of winning the 6 Nations for years.
I'm loving that optimism.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top