Goodbye Tristars, Hello Airbus

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by TheBigUn, Mar 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ... and said aircraft will probably be over-budget and 10 years past their original delivery date by the time they are first used...
  2. It's great news that we've finally ordered the things; our VC10s and Tristars are long past their sell by date.

However, I share reservations regarding a lease arrangement for such an important AAR/AT asset. It is also a major error for them not to be capable of receiving fuel via AAR.

However, let's get the things in asap!!
  3. Op Black Buck clearly not been heard of in procurement then :x
  4. you just send a cruise missle nowadays :D .And it will hit the target :twisted:
  5. well there is that but even so....

Seriously the same AAR was used to get reconnaissance over the target so it was used to effect and still could be.
  6. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

What are the chances of a retro-fit? That will leak?

Still, as you say, the rest of the fleet is getting "a bit old" :roll:
  7. They have to be a bit old so they can convincingly "break down" in Cyprus and other such places...
  8. Excuse my ignorance but do the tankers have the ability to take fuel from their own bulk fuel tank? If you know what I mean :?
  9. Is it even the same fuel? Presumably the A330s will be run on commercial AVTUR, especially if they are to retain their full civilian airliner rating.
    I've no idea how military jet fuel differs from AVTUR, but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't have the same additives at least.

Guess we could ask on PPrune, but frankly I've got some paint to watch drying, far more exciting.
  10. Great stuff....lets hope its got an Ents Suite on board!! :pc:

Now that the crabs are happy what about this little Lynx problem? :roll:
  11. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

There's a problem with the little Lynx?
    Or a little problem with the Lynx?

12. And just as the major financial players are saying that PFI is a waste of money? Lets just throw loads more good money after bad and then say that year on year military spending has gone up! Is there any common sense/ex military up in decision land of the MoD/government? (although senior ex military and common sense are usually mutually exclusive terms I know.)
  13. Good news, but disturbed to hear the Airbus it self cannot be refueled in flight.

Poor old Lynx, far too small for it's army role but the size the Navy wanted for their anti sub boats.
    Can't think just what cab would suit the AAC, but most likely Lynx no matter if it's a second rate choice.
    Too paraphrase
    Fine trash hauler ya crab, best thing since the mule & donkey.
    Bill Slim the Army Commander of WW II.
  14. Yes, it's the same stuff (F34) and the tankers can use their own stocks. I could never really understand the RAF's policy on AAR fit on the VC10s and Tristars. In the '80s, the probes started re-appearing on the Tens (C1s) and in the early '90s the probes started to disappear off the Tristars. I understand the system was seldom used, but it would be handy to have the plumbing in place on the Airbuses at least.