Goodbye St Omer Tower Block

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by jack-daniels, Oct 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good to see Nigel (CI), Geoff and Mike on there.St Omer nearly saw them through to retirement.
  2. Is the slaughter house gone as well?
  3. terroratthepicnic

terroratthepicnic LE Reviewer Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Runners

I thought I would be sad to see it go. But no, not a thing. at least I know I will never have to walk to the top of the tower again.

However it will be a really sad day if they have destroyed the mound. Plenty of blood has spilt for that over the years.
  4. every morning i wake upto the sight of that thing, I hope to christ they dont blow it up, im on leave and left my window open
  5. The abattoir went first.Then HQ, after which demolition gathered momentum.In all honesty, that (60s) period of public/military building threw up some real eyesores-no doubt state of the art at the time.
  6. what is the name of the barracks thats at the top of queens ave with hospital hill, is that due for demolition too anytime soon?.
  7. You probably mean Montgomery Lines, composed of Rhine, Arnhem, Bruneval and Normandy barracks.Due demolition soon, not sure when.
  8. It's been due demolition for about 2 years but the firm who are going to build the civvy houses on it are a bit skint hence the fact that a fortune has been spent on boarding it all up!
    It's mainly used as a film set now.
  9. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Oh the irony!
  10. Thank God, is all that I can say.
    My very first posting out of training was to Aldershot, and it wasn't the prettiest of places then. Especially Mons Bks, another place that is long gone.
    22 years later, one of the last things I did before leaving was to attend a resettlement course there, staying in the Sgts Mess transit accommodation, walking past St Omer every day.
    That whole area of the military town is a shit hole, stinking of neglect. It is certainly not a good advert for what was once proudly the home of the British Army.
    Let's hope they get rid of Monty Bks soon, too; another failed experiment of a slum from the sixties.

11. Oi!! I Used to call that place home!!

12. So did i, some excellent weekends as a block rat.
  13. Just had to keep an eye open for fire extinguishers flying out of windows.
  14. Have you lot seen Monty Bks these days?
    I drove past it last month, and it nearly made me weep!