Goodbye NHS?

From another Guardian story:

There has also been speculation that in the future there would only be one exam board provider per subject after Gove said last week that competition had had "malign effects".
You'd think they'd learn.....

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Our coalition chappies do indeed seem hell bent on privatising as much as they can before they are kicked into touch.

I wonder how many Directorships this little lot is worth?

Health firms told to get set for £20bn NHS bonanza | Business | The Guardian
Virgin health, Boots and loads of other companies decided it wasn't profitable running GP surgeries. This govt will chuck money to make sure it is. Labour built loads of PFI Primary care clinics and so the GP's don't own the buildings, no business to sell. Private companies will have massive bid writing dept's that your GP won't.

While I am no fan of the American model of medical care, the NHS idea is a joke. It bleeds the system but delivers little.

This tread will run and run ..... second biggest employer after the Chinese Army and plenty of vested interest [jobs] ............... arrsers employed in the NHS.............. The usual lefty v right politicalisation on here .......... Bring it on!

Virgin health, Boots and loads of other companies decided it wasn't profitable running GP surgeries. This govt will chuck money to make sure it is. Labour built loads of PFI Primary care clinics and so the GP's don't own the buildings, no business to sell. Private companies will have massive bid writing dept's that your GP won't.

Thats what worries me. Per capita, we pay about half what an American does for their healthcare system.
American companies are showing interest in our NHS as their domestic business model runs out if profits, they've done the math and worked out that £Billions can be added on in administrative profits running hived off chunks of the NHS with big government bribes, example - look how activle Unum are behind the scenes, a company branded an 'outlaw enterprise' in its home country. I suspect the NHS is going to be a new Gold Rush for non UK asset strippers and crooks.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Thats what worries me. Per capita, we pay about half what an American does for their healthcare system.
American companies are showing interest in our NHS as their domestic business model runs out if profits, they've done the math and worked out that £Billions can be added on in administrative profits running hived off chunks of the NHS with big government bribes, example - look how activle Unum are behind the scenes, a company branded an 'outlaw enterprise' in its home country. I suspect the NHS is going to be a new Gold Rush for non UK asset strippers and crooks.
I've seen it in mental health, learning disabilities and drug services. The bids look great but there is no substance behind them.
Commissioners don't have any qualifications to commission and so the money runs away and they can't control it.
Any sensible clinician can see through the hype but...

My Dad was suffering from Colonic cancer. 3 months for him to get an experts opinion on the NHS. I flew him out to me and he was seen within a day on my insurance. As I understand it a relatively minor surgery and he is hot to trot, and alive. **** the NHS, its shit.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
My Dad was suffering from Colonic cancer. 3 months for him to get an experts opinion on the NHS. I flew him out to me and he was seen within a day on my insurance. As I understand it a relatively minor surgery and he is hot to trot, and alive. **** the NHS, its shit.
Funny old world as we've had a two week maximum wait for suspected cancer for years.

This would be the wonderful private system that will decline you if you come back for more of the same?

I've not seen a patient wait longer than two weeks, often they're seen within a few days.
PM me anytime and chat with me and my Dad.

You must be working for the most efficient health organisation in the country, indeed in Europe. The Cloggies outdid you in a weekend.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
PM me anytime and chat with me and my Dad.

You must be working for the most efficient health organisation in the country, indeed in Europe. The Cloggies outdid you in a weekend.
That's the rules any suspected cancer diagnosis the patient is seen within two weeks. If I'd seen otherwise I'd be the first to complain.

What is funny Jarod is the amount of times that the NHS tells you "Oh the waiting time is only x for such-and-such" and one knows people who have waited 2, 3 or 4x. Or they've had an initial five minute chat with a consultant and been ignored for months or any one of a dozen procrastinations, I long ago come to the conclusion that at least half the time the NHS makes you wait as a matter of policy even when it can work a lot more quickly.

Part of the problem is that it is "The NHS" a vast, monolithic, self-perpetuating institution. I'm not sure it's about caring for people's health any more so much as it's own continued existence and ever greater budget.

On the other hand I'm damn sure that the American model is not one to follow and that shareholders will always have a conflict of interest with sick people.
So I'd like to see how an actual denizen of the monolith suggests that it might be reformed to make it less about the organisation and more about the patients because every time I've been to see people in hospital the actual inmates are treated with indifference if not contempt.