Goodbye David Bellamy

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

A true conservationist with the guts to challenge the fanatics and who paid the price.

Worth a hundred Thunbergs in anyone's money.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Been on the Dead Pool 2019 thread for hours.
Much posted on Arrse would have been on a single world war two thread since this site's beginnings.

This is a thread to discuss a specific individual and a view of conservation which achieved significant impact but put him on the wrong side of the MMGW lobby, for which he paid a price.

Much posted on Arrse would have been on a single world war two thread since this site's beginnings.

This is a thread to discuss a specific individual and a view of conservation which achieved significant impact but put him on the wrong side of the MMGW lobby, for which he paid a price.
Much like discussions on trans-Atlantic submarine voyages.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
To be fair, some individuals deserve a thread of their own.

The deadpool stands as a loosely based, no winner, competition. Or it used to be that way.

Having a separate thread for UK people of importance that have died, gives members a chance to express their condolences and experiences.

Plenty of members don't venture anywhere near the NAAFI (can't blame them really) so I say, it's not "old, " it's different.

The deadpool thread has its uses, but is not an exclusive 'all dead people in here and nowhere else thread.'

Bellamy got me interested in the Natural world as a young kid. I think in a roundabout way that kept me out of trouble. Other kids were causing trouble, I was rescuing wildlife
Rip Mr Bellamy.

Last edited:
I never met the man myself but met his adopted daughter a few times and she was lovely.
So long ago now I am f**ked if I can remember her name.

Last edited:

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
To be fair, some individuals deserve a thread of their own.

The deadpool stands as a loosely based, no winner, competition. Or it used to be that way.

Having a separate thread for UK people of importance that have died, gives members a chance to express their condolences and experiences.

Plenty of members don't venture anywhere near the NAAFI (can't blame them really) so I say, it's not "old, " it's different.

The deadpool thread has its uses, but is not an exclusive 'all dead people in here and nowhere else thread.'
Good move arte

Last edited:

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Much like discussions on trans-Atlantic submarine voyages.
Not really.

Back on thread, years ago I was on the UK oil and gas industry's environmental committee. Bellamy turned up in his flip flops and sporting the filthiest feet I've ever seen but he unveiled a scheme to use decommissioned platforms to create a marine national park in the North sea. The idea was to clean them up and sink them, using the reef effect to provide a refuge for fish stocks to regenerate by making the area unfishable.

Bellamy's problem was OSPAR, which formed the basis for North Sea Decommissioning policy. The oil companies didn't want to unpack it because OSPAR transferred much of the decommissioning cost and associated liabilities to the UK taxpayer. The government didn't want to unpack it because they viewed it as a problem solved and one they didn't want to re-open and the NGOs didn't want the agreement touched because they were boosting membership and subscriptions on the back of sticking it to the oil companies.

This unholy alliance did for one of the most environmentally sound proposals I've ever encountered but Bellamy was one of the few environmentalists with the guts to attempt to make it work and significant elements of the environmental movement hated him for trying. One of the good guys in my view.

Last edited:
I thought he was ace as a lad. Explained things simply, at 90mph and had the Mad Professor look. Think Attenborough on speed. RIP, a glass raised to a life well filled

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
In a way, he was one of those who took nature, conservation and climate change from the really odd and into mainstream. His passionate but offbeat views enthralled me, and I do think he made a difference.

Another point, he did love the north east and contributed very much to many of the wildlife refuges which we have in abundance here. The influence is spreading, in Nottingham there is a (relatively) new nature reserve lodge* which was styled on the Saltholme at Teesside. If you have not been to Saltholme, do.

*Called Attenborough, but nothing to do with David.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
Not really.

Back on thread, years ago I was on the UK oil and gas industry's environmental committee. Bellamy turned up in his flip flops and sporting the filthiest feet I've ever seen but he unveiled a scheme to use decommissioned platforms to create a marine national park in the North sea. The idea was to clean them up and sink them, using the reef effect to provide a refuge for fish stocks to regenerate by making the area unfishable.

Bellamy's problem was OSPAR, which formed the basis for North Sea Decommissioning policy. The oil companies didn't want to unpack it because OSPAR transferred much of the decommissioning cost and associated liabilities to the UK taxpayer. The government didn't want to unpack it because they viewed it as a problem solved and one they didn't want to re-open and the NGOs didn't want the agreement touched because they were boosting membership and subscriptions on the back of sticking it to the oil companies.

This unholy alliance did for one of the most environmentally sound proposals I've ever encountered but Bellamy was one of the few environmentalists with the guts to attempt to make it work and significant elements of the environmental movement hated him for trying. One of the good guys in my view.
An astounding post FF. I am astonished on many levels. Of course money talks, but after all, replenishing the fish stocks is going to benefit us all. No specific company will benefit from it and that is why it didnt happen.

It is a genius idea though, sea national parks. Too late for this election but it could have been a winner

Met a couple of times during my training in conservation/wildlife work

Hugely knowledgeable, generous with his time, with a real passion for his subject - and perhaps most importantly forthright with his opinions and not one to mince his words for the sake of politics or for fear of rocking the boat.

will be sorely missed

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
bedended Travel 10
Drlligaf Old & Bold 7
Forces Pension Society Armed Forces Pension Scheme 0

Latest Threads